Gibson Brands Forums

Sometimes i wish i could play by ear!

dem00n

Dem00n, have you got the song on your hard drive? Do you have WMP? If you have WMP and have the song on your hard drive, you can slow it down and hear the notes better. There's also software out there that will do it for you, but I don't remember the name of it.

I normally just mess around in different keys while listening to the song in question until I find one that sounds right, then play through the different chords/notes in the key until I figure out the song.

Learning to play by ear is definitely a good idea, it's one of the most important skills you can have as a musician. (more important than reading notation if you ask me...)

Dem00n' date=' have you got the song on your hard drive? Do you have WMP? If you have WMP and have the song on your hard drive, you can slow it down and hear the notes better. There's also software out there that will do it for you, but I don't remember the name of it.[/quote']

WMP huh? Hmm thanks gilliangirl ill go search for that or some other software.

By ear... well, not really by ear but by memory. If I have the song in my memory then I can just play it close enough. If I want to learn it by ear and I dont really know the song, it takes me a couple (more like a thousand) times listening the song and playing along.

I normally just mess around in different keys while listening to the song in question until I find one that sounds right' date=' then play through the different chords/notes in the key until I figure out the song.

Learning to play by ear is definitely a good idea, it's one of the most important skills you can have as a musician. (more important than reading notation if you ask me...)[/quote']

Well i mainly need the tab for the fast solo and the random mini solos. The riff is super slow.

WMP huh? Hmm thanks gilliangirl ill go search for that or some other software.

Dem00n, it's just Windows Media Player. If the song is on your hard drive you can go into WMP, then VIEW, then ENHANCEMENTS, then PLAY SPEED SETTINGS. It will bring up a small box at the bottom of your screen, which will allow you to slow down the song speed and hear the notes better. And, it does not change the pitch of the song!

But, there is software out there that will tab songs out for you.

I must admit that my musical talents are no way near a lot of people, but one thing I was blessed with is perfect pitch. When I hear a note or chord I can tell you exactly what it is. I don't know how I do it though. My music teachers used to ask me if I see colors when I hear a note, but I don't. I just know the note somehow. My "curse" is that I can't listen to a piece a music without analyzing it, so I rarely can truly just enjoy a piece....

How do you guys do it?

I REALLY mean no offense here dem00n......

Swear to God......

When I was learning guitar, at age 11 and up, there was no internet. No cable T.V. No video games.

We jammed all day, everyday we could. I woke up and grabbed a guitar, I didn't check my emails, ect......

I feel sorry for you young guys, because you feel you have to cover too many bases. I didn't give a damn what was on you tube, or twitter, or have so many stupid interuptions in my life with some idiot sending a stupid video to my cell phone that is going to cost me a few seconds out of my life, just to delete the damned thing. Multiply that by 10, 20, 30 a day and how much time is wasted on just "nothing".....

It's insane. I've never owned a cell phone in my life because I don't have the time. My time is to valuable to be wasting it on the next idiotic "forward".....

My evenings in this forum are drinking beer and unwinding after a day job. I gig weekends and am rarely here.

I've never read tab. I played bars at age 12. I hear it, I play it.

It's a matter of how many hours a day you play, versus your post count........

Best of luck......

Murph.

Dem00n' date=' it's just Windows Media Player. If the song is on your hard drive you can go into WMP, then VIEW, then ENHANCEMENTS, then PLAY SPEED SETTINGS. It will bring up a small box at the bottom of your screen, which will allow you to slow down the song speed and hear the notes better. And, it does not change the pitch of the song!

But, there is software out there that will tab songs out for you.

[/quote']

Oh i see it now. I feel like an old person for not knowing this! This is going to help alot thanks again.

Swear to God......

When I was learning guitar' date=' at age 11 and up, there was no internet. No cable T.V. No video games.

We jammed all day, everyday we could. I woke up and grabbed a guitar, I didn't check my emails, ect......

I feel sorry for you young guys, because you feel you have to cover too many bases. I didn't give a damn what was on you tube, or twitter, or have so many stupid interuptions in my life with some idiot sending a stupid video to my cell phone that is going to cost me a few seconds out of my life, just to delete the damned thing. Multiply that by 10, 20, 30 a day and how much time is wasted on just "nothing".....

It's insane. I've never owned a cell phone in my life because I don't have the time. My time is to valuable to be wasting it on the next idiotic "forward".....

My evenings in this forum are drinking beer and unwinding after a day job. I gig weekends and am rarely here.

Best of luck......

Murph.

[/quote']

Murph i understand that technology is destroying us young guys.

But i dont care about the twitter and whats on youtube anymore.

Rights now its...guitar,girls,school,video games and friends. Oh and food!

Yeah, what Axe said.

Find what Key the song is in with the bass notes. Run your finger around the Low E string until you find a few Bass notes. Add the Fifth of that note to see if it's really a Bass note or a Pedal tone. Once you've found the Root and Fifth of the chords in the run, find the Thirds. This will determine whether the chord is Major, Minor, or Natural. Once you've determined the Thirds, you know what scales the leads are "Likely" Played in. Keep in mind lead guitarists like to throw Curveballs, so you may find the lead is a Major scale over a Minor Run, or some sort of variation on that theme. But usually, you'll find the Scale that makes up the Chords is the same scale used in the lead.

Find the Bass, find the pedal tones, find the key, scales, and don't worry about how wrong you may be when you learn by ear, you'll get better at it with time and practice.

The Day That Never Comes

by Metallica

could never learn anything by ear, drove me absolutely insane, one day for no reason I gave that song a try and it just, I dunno, clicked (How's that for a run on sentence?)

give it a shot, it doesn't get hard until the fast chords and then the solo, take it slow...

If that doesn't work, try some slipknot (ya see what I did there?)

And good luck

Swear to God......

When I was learning guitar' date=' at age 11 and up, there was no internet. No cable T.V. No video games.

Best of luck......

Murph.

[/quote']

Its sad but the amount of videos I've watched since I've joined youtube is 18,714.

Im not really sure why I joined.

But the one song that I can't figure out past the intro riff and first chord into the song is Eric Clapton- My Father's Eyes.

On the bright side, it gets easier with time. I remember about wearing the play and rewind buttons on my tape player out trying to learn stuff. It didn't come easy to me either and there was no Internet then. It just took a lot of trial and error. But after a while you begin to match finger patterns to the sounds you hear and it gets easier. Eventually you will be able to figure some things out by just hearing the song, and then you go to your guitar and play it. Be patient. Most Internet tabs are wrong anyway!

Dom...

I think you've gotten some pretty good general advice.

Funny thing is that when I was your age and younger I could "hear" and play out melody lines on a keyboard okay, but not chords. Now for guitar I hear chord variations that kinda sorta apply themselves to my "piano bar" finger style guitar playing. Can't figure fingerings all that well for single string fast stuff. I keep wanting "full chords" regardless.

Life's fun. <grin> And your head will take different turns, musical and otherwise, in life, where some stuff that seems easy today will be nasty in a cupla years, and some stuff that seems hard today may end up a piece of cake next week.

Seriously, I think sometimes when we hit a wall, the best first thing to do is see if you can find some help - maybe even googling the piece to see if there's an idea or two on the Internet. Then if there's still a wall, put it aside and get onto something else you wanna play.

For single string stuff... unnatural kinda for me except with a little bluegrass... I've sometimes messed with just reproducing what I heard wherever it's comfortable on the fretboard. That's kinda ear training. Figure where on the fingerboard it's comfortable for you.

But as I say, I keep wanting to do full five and six string chords, so what you're talking about isn't really easy for me either. That's the beauty and challenge of guitar, it makes you think. So try thinking about stuff sometimes by not thinking, then when you go back to try thinking a cupla days or a week later, sometimes stuff just works. But whatever process brought frustration before probably will again, so you've often gotta go at it from a different angle in your head.

At any rate, that's what I always tell myself. <grin>

m

This is easier to explain with an instrument in your hand, but here it goes.

There's another little "trick" that I may be able to claim as my own Idea. When I was in about my 2nd year of playing the guitar and frustrated with the whole Lettering System, when it occurred to me that the notes named themselves way before we came up with the letter system. Us humans named these note so we could refer to them and record them on paper, but sound waves are a natural occurrence.

Take the low E string tuned to 440. We call that E, but nature named it what you hear when you play it. Second fret is F#, but nature didn't make than note a sharp or a flat, its name is the tone you hear it's played.

So forget about the letters and fret numbers for the moment and concentrate on the Note and the Tone you hear when the note is sounded. You'll start to recognize them in songs before long, and you'll know what key it's in before you get to a guitar.

You've been given some good advice...It just takes time spent with your axe. With all the tools available to your generation, you should be able to learn anything you want. Like many of these other guys, I learned by listening to the radio, which you couldn't pause or rewind, and albums, which you could stop and start with some effort.

Archived