Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG with modification

hiawatha

I'm planning to buy myself a Gibson SG standard + add some modification, just wondering if anyone had any experience with the use of these parts:

I'm planning to put in

- TonePros Model AVR-II to replace the ABR-1 bridge

- Gibson TP6 tail piece stop bar to replace the oem tailpiece

- Gibson Vintage Gold Machine Heads with Pearloid Buttons to replace the standard tuners.

plus I'm considering replacing the 490R/498T humbuckers with a couple of Burstbuckers pros.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hey sounds cool but I have just one thing to say. Not Turing to sound like a jerk.. just trying to help.

The SG Standard has a Nashville bridge, not an ABR-1. Also the mounting systems for the two bridges are different, so I'm not sure you could replace the Nashville with an ABR-1 style bridge.

Just read on some reviews that the standard SG may have some tuning and action issues with the standard hardware + tuner heads? Plus changing them would improve sustain and intonation range?

Just wanted to upgrade the standard sg to improve sound quality.

Just read on some reviews that the standard SG may have some tuning and action issues with the standard hardware + tuner heads? Plus changing them would improve sustain and intonation range?

Just wanted to upgrade the standard sg to improve sound quality.

The SG Standard has a Nashville bridge' date=' not an ABR-1. Also the mounting systems for the two bridges are different, so I'm not sure you could replace the Nashville with an ABR-1 style bridge.[/quote']

just read a review here on the gibson website for the standard SG from a guy who swapped the bridge for an ABR-1 style bridge. sounded like a great improvement?

The ABR-1 is screwed directly into the wood whereas a Nashville is screwed into bushings.

If you remove the bushings the hole will obviously be way too big to accomodate the screws for an ABR-1.

And no, the stock hardware will not cause tuning, tonal, or playability problems. If you have tuning problems, it is most likely the nut (which can be easily remedied).

They won't cause tonal issues so you don't have to worry about that.

If the action is an issue it takes about 15 seconds to adjust it. The ABR-1 will give you no advantage as far as action or playability over the Nashville.

I'm not sure if you can place an ABR-1 over the posts for a Nashville, but it would be pretty pointless. And I'm pretty sure you can't. The main advantage of the ABR-1 is it's mounting being right into the wood. The other differences are size, the metal retaining wire, and looks. I prefer the ABR-1, but only when it's a true ABR-1.

The ABR-1 is screwed directly into the wood whereas a Nashville is screwed into bushings.

If you remove the bushings the hole will obviously be way too big to accomodate the screws for an ABR-1.

And no' date=' the stock hardware will not cause tuning, tonal, or playability problems. If you have tuning problems, it is most likely the nut (which can be easily remedied).

They won't cause tonal issues so you don't have to worry about that.

If the action is an issue it takes about 15 seconds to adjust it. The ABR-1 will give you no advantage as far as action or playability over the Nashville.

I'm not sure if you can place an ABR-1 over the posts for a Nashville, but it would be pretty pointless. And I'm pretty sure you can't. The main advantage of the ABR-1 is it's mounting being right into the wood. The other differences are size, the metal retaining wire, and looks. I prefer the ABR-1, but only when it's a true ABR-1.[/quote']

Actually you can use the ABR-1 with the Nashville post if you want to open the holes on the bridge just a tad.

As for the metal retaining wire, the Schaller Nashville bridge has this feature as well, I think the PING made Nash has this feature too, but I'm not 100% sure... it's just located on the underside of the bridge and performs he same function as a ABR-1.

I prefer the Nashville due to the extra saddle movement for intonation, I can always make up for tone and sustain by tweaking the amp a little.

I'm not that kinda guy' date=' I like the quality of my sound to come from the basic source. [-o<

[/quote']

Here's a somewhat interesting thought... Most would agree that the source of the ABR-1s sustain is the fact that it's screwed directly into the wood.(keep in mind your Standard will already have bushings so it's out of the question for you to have it right in the wood). Many also say that the mass of the object itself contributes to sustain.. So if you were to put an ABR-1 on a Nashville mounting system you may actually lessen the sustain by using a smaller thinner bridge.

You have to understand that simply throwing an ABR-1 on a Nashville mounting system isn't going to give you ABR-1 results or advantages. It may be a disadvantage. This is all tonally speaking of course. If you are simply after the ABR-1 look then I think it's a cool idea.

nah, not so much after the look, just something to improve the sound quality and I read several comments that it improved the sound. Just basically looking for any kind of hardware modification to improve to sound AND improve the tuning of the guitar. I might even replace them with golden hardware... ;-)

nah' date=' not so much after the look, just something to improve the sound quality and I read several comments that it improved the sound. Just basically looking for any kind of hardware modification to improve to sound AND improve the tuning of the guitar. I might even replace them with golden hardware... ;-)[/quote']

Of course everything I said is my opinion and you should just do what you want. I know a lot of people switch to Tone-Pros hardware and seem to be happy. I haven't had any experience with them.

A time tested tone enhancer is switching to a bone nut. Also, if you get it cut well to accomodate your string guage it will eliminate potential tuning problems.

Buying a Gibson SG standard + adding some modifications with no baseline experience sounds fruitless.

You're reading too much on the internet and delving into the esoteric realm of cork-sniffers.

95% of the players out there could never tell the difference blindfolded.

- TonePros Model AVR-II to replace the ABR-1 bridge is something I wouldn't even bother with.

Plenty of reasons cited already.

- Gibson TP6 tail piece stop bar is really not necessary. It's like adding jewelry to the guitar.

Would you actually use it? Is it worth the cost? I've thought about buying one for 20 years and never did it.

- Gibson Vintage Gold Machine Heads vs. the standard tuners? Look at the ratio, most are now 14:1.

If that is the same on both tuners, don't bother unless it's simply the look you're after.

Also beware of the need to drill out the headstock to accomodate larger diameter posts - you wanna do that?

Every Gibson I ever replaced tuners on got Grover Rotomatics.

Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

And it's worth it to me even if the screw holes are not the same.

Replacing the 490R/498T humbuckers with a couple of Burstbuckers pros is a good move - sorta.

There's nothing wrong with the 490R/498T, most of the rock and roll you hear on the radio was done with them.

Even better than the BB Pro (again, opinion) is the 57 Classics. Very similar in output, and I love 'em.

I own guitars equipped with all three by the way...

I don't know how much difference you'll actually hear, but you'll have a set of good humbuckers laying around that you can always stick in something else later if the mood strikes you.

I commend you for being so pro-active as to consider experimentation.

Just don't get so caught up in chasing your tail with no demonstrable results to show for it.

Play the damned guitar!

Archived