Gibson Brands Forums

reading is fundamental - books

EVOL!

What are you reading now?

Kind of poking around to see if any other people here are heavy into rock books. Right now I am reading Geoff Emerick's book on the Beatles. Two of the last three books I read were rock biographies: Slash, The Dirt (the Motley Crüe book), and The Omnivore's Dilemma. Also, growing up I watched way too much tv. Trying to make up for all of the reading I should have been doing.

What are you reading now?

Kind of poking around to see if any other people here are heavy into rock books. Right now I am reading Geoff Emerick's book on the Beatles. Two of the last three books I read were rock biographies: Slash' date=' The Dirt (the Motley Crüe book), and The Omnivore's Dilemma. Also, growing up I watched way too much tv. Trying to make up for all of the reading I should have been doing.

[/quote']

Emerick's book is pretty interesting as he was there in Abbey Road studios for some of the fabs best and worst times. Clearly he loved working with Paul but then Macca is a workaholic He does come down kinda hard on George because how painstakingly slow he was to come up with solos. But I think being the youngest in the band and having to come up with a solo for a song written by two guys with the biggest egos ever isn't easy.

Don Felder book Heaven And Hell my life with the Eagles I also very good.

Don Felder book Heaven And Hell my life with the Eagles I also very good.

Thanks. I'll have to add that to my list. While I am not much of an Eagles fan, I do dig Felder's playing and stories of band insanity. The Henley/Frey dictatorship is legendary.

Pirates and Emperors by Chomsky

How is this book? I tried reading Chomsky in college, but it was way over my head. Now that I am older and wiser I'd like to get heavier into his stuff.

Right now, I think my favorite rock book is 'Our Band Could Be Your Life' by Michael Azerrad. I just started reading Eric Clapton's autobiography. After that I want to read 'Sound Of The Beast: The Complete Headbanging History Of Heavy Metal' by Ian Christe.

Right now' date=' I think my favorite rock book is 'Our Band Could Be Your Life' by Michael Azerrad. [/quote']

Hell yes. That is one of my favorites too. You might also dig Rock & Roll: An Unruly History by Robert Palmer. It's top on my list of re-reads.

If you're into sci fi, David Drake.

There are others. But Drake has an exceptional concept of history and languages that makes his stuff exemplary. Much of it is "military" sci fi, but some is, in ways, a sci fi version of historic voyages and wars. The guy knows his stuff.

And his Latin is a helluva lot better than my own.

For youngsters I'd strongly recommend Aristotle's poetics and rhetoric; Plato's dialogs; Plutarch. Xenophon's Anabasis and the 1993 Harold Coyle novel The Ten Thousand. Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Tao Te Ching in some translations is super, not so super in others. One should have read Homer by the end of one's high school years if not by the end of grammar school; Livy by the end of high school. A lot of Kipling is more than it seems.

Hagakure and Go rin no sho, especially the latter since swordsmanship and guitar playing are the same thing with different instruments.

Just a thought or two.

m

Archived