Gibson Brands Forums

I know this is a GIBSON forum but...

Izzy

...I was hoping to get away with a question about a guitar I discovered and its a queer little fellow but it sounds different than anything I ever heard.

As a GIBSON fan I had to ask your opinion on it since I know you like what I like.

...and some of you are (gets on knees and bows) such a wealth of guitar knowledge.

The Rickenbacker 6 string 320 or 620.....

Opinions, compare contrast to other gibsons, any input would help.

Why do I feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend? xD

Ric's are great guitars the 320 is the three pickup 3/4 isn't it? anyway there amazing and tonally there completely different than a gibson but if your after the classic rock jangle nothing beats a Ric only wish they wouldn't use the marine varnish finish on the necks and fretboard never gotten used to the feel it's tye only guitar that I typically sand the neck on.

<--- MY 330

You interested in buying one? are you deciding between them and some other guitar (maybe a gibson)? What do you like and what dont you like about them.

I ask this because what's really important here is what you like, and what you expect from a new guitar. Our opinion ultimately means nothing... but if you ask me, ricks rule!](*,)

I don't like the 620's body shape much, I do find it interesting and good looking, but as furniture (does that make any sense?)

Now, when you say 320... do you mean a 360 maybe? (IMO there's no need for a 3rd pickup EVER) If you meant 360, that's the one I would go with. It's a classic, and has great tone. Those pickups sound nothing like a gibby or f____ does, they are a completely different thing and not everone's cup of tea.

Never played the latter.

Ricks were/are playable in my memory of some 40 years ago using one in a rock band. Yup, a different sound.

Heavy, too, as I recall. I recall also liking the action but wishing the nut were a tad wider, but then I was using the lightest flatwounds I could find and, hey, that's a long time ago. <grin>

As a player, regardless of sound, I think it's a matter of person "feel." Buddy who used one a lot swapped it for a 335, though, and seemed happier with it.

Gimme the price tag for either, yeah, I'd stick with the Gibbie. Ricks are kinda odd. I think you love 'em or... swap 'em. I'd love to have one as, say, a third or fourth guitar in a rock gig "herd" behind a 335, SG and probably a soundhole magnetic pickup acoustic 12. But it ain't likely. <chuckle>

Let's put it this way: I've heard jazz and blues on lots of guitars, but never a Rick. That's not to say it ain't happened, but... A 335-type seems to be more versatile.

m

The 320 is out of prodution while the 620 is still around. the 320 is a hollowbody and 3/4 size which can be nice if you're small, the 620 is a solidbody. The 320 is mono only while the 620 has "Ric-o-sound" which allows a separate output from the bridge and neck pickups (refered to as "bass" and "treble" on ric contols). I've got a 1991 360/12 right now, that I really like but it seems that there's a steeper learning curve (compared to my Gibsons or Fenders) on the Rics to get the sound you want. You might ask the question over on the Ric corporate forums. It's a smaller group than here but they're a pretty fanatic bunch. John Hall (Ric's CEO) even posts occasionally.

if your after the classic rock jangle nothing beats a Ric only wish they wouldn't use the marine varnish finish on the necks and fretboard never gotten used to the feel it's tye only guitar that I typically sand the neck on.

there is like a varnish on the fret board?

does it make it faster to slide up and down, or something? o.o

thank you all for your response. i'm not even sure i'd be able to find one to test in my city, despite the fact that I live in HOUSTON which ain't small! GC has them IF you order them, which is LAME cus you ought to be able to test without feeling obligated for ordering.

disclaimer: i never buy there, i just test equip there >.>

its getting all thumbs up, but because i have a better idea of what it does...

its gonna be one of those pieces I won't be actively pursuing, BUT if i come across one I will snatch it for the pleasure of having a fine instrument to furnish my home with (that sounds totally sacrilegious by the way, Thundergod, but I totally understand!).

there is like a varnish on the fret board?

does it make it faster to slide up and down' date=' or something? o.o

thank you all for your response. i'm not even sure i'd be able to find one to test in my city, despite the fact that I live in HOUSTON which ain't small! GC has them IF you order them, which is LAME cus you ought to be able to test without feeling obligated for ordering.

disclaimer: i never buy there, i just test equip there >.>

its getting all thumbs up, but because i have a better idea of what it does...

its gonna be one of those pieces I won't be actively pursuing, BUT if i come across one I will snatch it for the pleasure of having a fine instrument to furnish my home with (that sounds totally sacrilegious by the way, Thundergod, but I totally understand!).[/quote']

If you're in Houston go to Fullers Vintage Guitars (116 North Loop) they carry Rics so you might be able to try one there.

Yes they do have varnish on the fretboard

To me the Richenbacker 330 is a classic guitar right up there with SGs and Jazzmasters. Great sound, but very distinct. If you are sporting a 330, no matter what amp you play through people will know.

A great example of their sweet tone is all of the early REM albums. Peter Buck's primary sound was a 330 played through a Vox AC30.

Ric's a great for a unique sound, but... like a hammer... ain't right for every job. I always thought they sounded like a Mosrite the Ventures used once they left Fender.

That said, I'd get a Ric 360 12-string in a heartbeat if I could.

But...what REALLY got my attention was this:

...why do I feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend? xD

Bob

I think everybody's pretty well nailed it.

I enjoyed my time with a Rick... Truly did. I haven't one bad memory.

A unique sound does have drawbacks.

I've never heard of a Rick player - not that there may not have been - who did for the marque what somebody like Roy Buchanan did for the Tele. Heck, he'd do Misty and turn around and Hey Joe.

I remember in those years I used the Rick strictly for the band. Were I playing another style of guitar, I'd use another guitar. Honestly, I can't recall exactly why beyond using a nylon string rig for flamenco and classical.

m

Thank you all for your comments.

Its great to have the input of players and NOT advertisements.

I found one for sale, private owner....

this week imma go cop a feel [-o<

flyingarmadillo:

i just found out about that shop today!

had i not found it on my own, i would have thanks to you!

bob:

YOU'RE RIGHT!!! why should I feel like i'm cheating?!

i have a harem of FINE girls

they can all wait their dang turns

*sits the curvy growler on her lap for a quickie

Archived