Gibson Brands Forums

How do I get this sound?

jrseriel

I was watching this movie
and I was wondering how do i get the sound thats on the refrain? thanks and please I dont want to hear about how I choose a different sound every week.

Play your guitar will give you that sound' date=' becoming Townshend will help too #-o

But JR, you pick a new sound every wee........ never mind [biggrin

I am going to say this as someone on the internet you will never meet

You are always looking for some sound that is attained by some of the greatest artists in history. No one can match Hendrix, Page, Townshend, Segovia, what have you. It is making a sound your own that will make you great.

Stop looking to match a certain sound that someone has for a song, and make each song your own, look for guidance but this is just getting out of control

I am going to say this as someone on the internet you will never meet

You are always looking for some sound that is attained by some of the greatest artists in history. No one can match Hendrix' date=' Page, Townshend, Segovia, what have you. It is making a sound your own that will make you great.

Stop looking to match a certain sound that someone has for a song, and make each song your own, look for guidance but this is just getting out of control[/quote']

well said, but trust me on this. just can I have please have a little guidance on how he got that sound?

Yeah.... that's the problem with doing a "cover band" concept and the frustration of it.

You'll never sound "just like" no matter how hard you try. So even if you're attempting a complete copy, you're likely doomed to frustration - or your audience will be.

Yeah, I know, "But they want to hear what the XXX sounded like." Yup, it's a major frustration for the working musician. Heck, crowds don't always like live performances of their heroes because even their heroes don't sound like they did on the record - unless somebody's playing the recording backstage and the musicians are just going through the motions like they are on videos.

"Tone" is something that seems to me to be far more individual than most of us like to admit. It includes how we fret, the individual guitar and its settings, the amp, the PA if there is one... the pick we use, if any...

With all due respect to, let's say, BB King, he could hand me Lucille right after he plays something on stage and I'm there with him - and I'll not match his tone on the same instrument at almost the same time and with the same setup. His hands and technique bring something out that's BB. Surprise! I ain't BB. He'll sound more like BB on my guitar with a different amp and different strings - different everything - than I could sound like BB on Lucille.

I think most of us who have been around quite a while went through the same thing and, for me at least, I heartily regret the guitars I should have kept because they didn't get "that tone" as I hoped the next one would.

m

Well, technically...a '68 SG Special with p-90's, and a HiWatt Stack (or two). Marshall would work, as well. He

used Marshall 100 watt stacks, and (later) "Major" (200 watt tube) Stacks, as well as the 100 watt HiWatts.

I think the Woodstock amps were the HiWatts! Playing LIKE Townsend, is another story! Along with John Lennon,

he's one of the better/best rhythm players, in Rock. Tasty leads, too.

Good Luck!

CB

Get the fancy Line 6 Pedal Board thing-o-mo-bob with 6 billion different settings and a place to put your bear.

Man, I need a new pedal board. I have no room for my pet bear. Anyway, he gets pretty angry when I play guitar. The other day he got so pissed he ripped my wife's head right off her torso. Blood spattered all over my LP.

Do you think Virtuoso Polish will get out blood stains? Or should I just cover it up with my pick guard. I am a little nervous that the pick guard will affect my tone, though.

Man' date=' I need a new pedal board. I have no room for my pet bear. Anyway, he gets pretty angry when I play guitar. The other day he got so pissed he ripped my wife's head right off her torso. Blood spattered all over my LP.

Do you think Virtuoso Polish will get out blood stains? Or should I just cover it up with my pick guard. I am a little nervous that the pick guard will affect my tone, though.

[/quote']

pics??? haha

Archived