Gibson Brands Forums

Lars Ulrich: Under rated or Over rated?

Basshole

overrated to who? again its all down to musical taste' date=' they sell out gigs sell millions of records and are multi millionares...[/quote']

Well, if you measure quality and musicianship by commercial success, then sure thing Metallica is among the best thing to ever happen in music. Can't argue with you there.

I also guess that means those Jonas Brothers are better than, say Steve Vai.

Well' date=' if you measure quality and musicianship by commercial success, then sure thing Metallica is among the best thing to ever happen in music. Can't argue with you there.

I also guess that means those Jonas Brothers are better than, say Steve Vai.

[/quote']

there is no best, read above post [angry]

I think he is just the right man to do what he does with Metallica. He doesn't shine out as a wonderful drummer in a singular way to me, but as a part of Metallica and as a unit, the job is done just right by Lars for me. In that sense he is a great drummer (for Metallica)

Metallica and Iron Maiden are probably my two favourite metal bands, great to see Metallica on here being discussed.

Matt

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if he's Overrated. I'm not sure how he rates amongst drummers, and it's not like he's always on the cover of Drummer Mags. I just think he has a really thin sound and his parts are too detached from the Bass and too Up Front in the mix (Post-Puppets, the first few albums were mixed better).

i saw Metallica a few weeks ago in Toronto --- had a seat 2nd row in the stands at the red line --- and thought they were quite good. Is Lars a great drummer? I'd say so-so. But he's just one ingredient that goes into making the pie of Metallica taste good.

However, I will say that he has this cocky walk/strutter that makes me just want to slap him. During each of his short struts (after most songs) I really wished I had been able choke him.

And I'll also say that I think he was 100% correct in his stance against Napster.

And I'll also say that I think he was 100% correct in his stance against Napster

Threatening young teens and paying to get their names?....Thats biting the hand that feeds you.

Go after Napster, not the people who are using whats available.

Poor little millionaires. Drop the price of the cd's and you may sell a few more. They are yesterdays news anyway.

Ever wonder why you can't find an Accurate Tab in a Guitar Mag or Online = Lars and The Lawsuits.

Ever wonder why Wal Mart has an Exclusive distribution rights of your favorite artist = Lars and the LAwsuits

Ever wonder why you buy a song, download it to your Ipod, then after about 6 months to a year later you find you don't have the Right to burn it to a CD anymore = Lars and The Lawsuits

Protect the Market but screw the buyer, that's Lars' Motto.

Before you know it, they'll be busting bar owners that allow cover bands. If you here Enter Sandman coming from your local watering hole, Lars and the Lawsuits will pull your Cabaret License.

I was brought up to believe music was a gift. A gift that must be given to the public, not rationed like water on the Bounty.

Ever wonder why you can't find an Accurate Tab in a Guitar Mag or Online = Lars and The Lawsuits.

Ever wonder why Wal Mart has an Exclusive distribution rights of your favorite artist = Lars and the LAwsuits

Ever wonder why you buy a song, download it to your Ipod, then after about 6 months to a year later you find you don't have the Right to burn it to a CD anymore = Lars and The Lawsuits

Protect the Market but screw the buyer, that's Lars' Motto.

Before you know it, they'll be busting bar owners that allow cover bands. If you here Enter Sandman coming from your local watering hole, Lars and the Lawsuits will pull your Cabaret License.

I was brought up to believe music was a gift. A gift that must be given to the public, not rationed like water on the Bounty. ]

Well said!

I have to agree with you, even as someone who is anti piracy, on dvd's and music especially, I think the Pirates Of the Caribbean rule has to apply in this...

"the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules"

There are plenty of grey areas that have to be acknowledged by people such as Lars in my opinion.

And yes, he just came across as so greedy going after children.

Matt

I think that if he hadn't taken a stance someone else would have. And Lars being Lars, he was going to come across as a jerk no matter what.

However, music is not a gift. Musicians (those doing it for a living) are doing it to make money. What they have created is _theirs_. They own it and it's not free for the taking. It's really that simple.

Digital copying is so simple to do and it just got out of hand. Imagine if books could be copied as easily as an MP3.

Would it be ok to copy popular books written by authors such as Dan Brown (Da Vinci Code) or J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter) on the same mass scale as music was? What is the difference between one of their books and a band's CD?

How about photos? If I take an image, it's mine. I own it. If someone wants to use it...they have to pay for it. You can't just steal it. Unfortunately the Internet has spawned a culture that believes EVERYTHING is free and anything is there for the taking...and I can do so as I see fit.

Imagine if you created something (for which you get paid for) and tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of people were obtaining it illegally and allowing others to obtain it from them. What would you do? Let it go or stand up for yourself?

Downloading became so simple and people perceive it as a victimless crime. You can't just cry "Poor millionaires...." The wealth of the person that owns the material --- be it a book, image or song --- is irrelevant.

Had the music industry had the foresight to see this (meaning illegal downloading and Napster and similar sites becoming extremely popular) and been proactive, they could have done things much differently.

Differently how, I'm not sure. But no doubt there are a lot of music executives who wish they had seen how popular digital downloading was going to be.

Archived