Gibson Brands Forums

Lars Ulrich: Under rated or Over rated?

Basshole

He proclaims that he is the biggest underrated drummer of all time.

I personally think he is one of the worst drummers of all time, his drums sound like (sorry for the lack of better term) crap.

His drum fills suck.

He repeats his "sucky" drum fills constantly.

I guess he can play really fast beats but that's about it.

what do you guys think?

Based on his early stuff I think he's underated.... St Anger was Rubbish.... Death Magnetic on the otherhand turned him back around. Death Magnetic is an AWSOME album live!!!

The documentary "Some kind of Monster" set him in a really bad light...

Regards

Eh, Lars is okay. I mean, I can think of a lot of better drummers (Stewart Copeland, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Jean-Paul Gaster, Or Tim 'Herb' Alexander -to name some), but I think he fits with Metallica. I liked his drum sound on ...And Justice For All.

Dave Lombardo destroys him as far as thrash drummers go.

I know one thing though, Lars probably has more money than just about any of us, so he must have done something right. [biggrin]

lars ulrich's opinion of himself is overrated. i am a huge Metallica nut, but i dont listen to anything that man says.

i think that for a self-taught player, he is pretty good. is he the best? no. is dave lombardo "better"? yes. do i prefer Ulrich? yes.

kinda one of those things like "is Satriani better than Angus Young?". from a technical standpoint, yes. but i will listen to anything Angus has put out before even considering listening to a Satriani song. it's all about personal preferences.

you have to separate the man from his music, especially with lars ulrich 'cause he can be a giant ******....after all he grew up as a spoiled rich kid and he still is. but i still like to hear him play. Wagner was a raging anti-semite, but The Ring is still a masterpiece regardless of how stupid its composer was.

I voted average, Metallica is one of my favorite bands and I think Lars is part of their sound and not exactly what I focus on when I listen to them.

He does have his own style, I will give him that, where else do you get that spastic sound?

I have mixed views. It think he hit his peak with AJFA. His stuff on Master of Puppets is killer. I 100% understand why they changed their sound with the Black album & the two Load and I was fine with it, but Lars needed to learn to be a different drummer. If you are going to do slower, more groove oriented rock you have to lay back and give the bass more say in the mix. I thought he did OK on tracks like Sad But True, but other songs like Until It Sleeps or Nothing Else Matters are almost unlistenable. There is no feel.

But, hey, what do I know. I am dumb desk jockey and he's a multi-millionaire drummer for one of the biggest bands in rock history.

He's not as overrated as a drummer as Kirk Hammet is as a guitarist.

Lars was ok back in the day. He at least had this thing where he hits the crash one beat after where you'd normally expect it to be, which is a kinda cool effect in many of their songs. Technically he is way behind the norm of metal drummers though, even back in the early days of Metallica. Then again, all of Metallica were behind the rest in that regard, and still are, and that turned out to work pretty well for them, didn't it?

Last time I saw Metallica was this summer. Lars was horrible. I don't know if he just doesn't give a **** any more, or if he was drunk, high, or whatever. His drumming left a lot to be desired considering how pro this band is these days. During the double kick parts in the heavy part of One, I was giggling to myself.

As Metal bands go' date=' I think you could say Metallica is generally overrated. Even "Back In The Day" Megadeth, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies, and Sepultura were tighter, more imaginative, and more aggressive. [/quote']

overrated to who? again its all down to musical taste, they sell out gigs sell millions of records and are multi millionares...ive seen loads of posts on here about who's the best this and whos the best that...there is no best at anything! it all boils down to personal taste! one mans trash is another mans tresure, i think metallica are the best metal band going but you think not? and you will say a band that you think is the best and i'll say that i'd rather sh*t on my own head than listen to them but thats what makes us all uniqe as human beings...there is no best or worse only as we percieve things...rant over! [biggrin]

overrated to who? again its all down to musical taste' date=' they sell out gigs sell millions of records and are multi millionares...ive seen loads of posts on here about who's the best this and whos the best that...there is no best at anything! it all boils down to personal taste! one mans trash is another mans tresure, i think metallica are the best metal band going but you think not? and you will say a band that you think is the best and i'll say that i'd rather sh*t on my own head than listen to them but thats what makes us all uniqe as human beings...there is no best or worse only as we percieve things...rant over! [biggrin']

Yeah, that opinion would be mine. I don't expect anyone to share it. But growing up in the 80's and not really caring for any Metal, I looked at it from an outsiders point of view. I'd ask myself, "Is there a groove? Are the lyrics clever? Is the Band Tight? Do the players understand and execute their rolls and band members (is the bass locking with the drums, is the drummer playing the beat and accenting, is the lead guitarist playing lead lines or just shredding scales with a Wah Wah)?

I've never weighed a bands success when deciding what I like about them. The fact that they sold so much lends itself to the overrated factor. I'd say IMO right there but that would be redundant. Anything anyone posts is likely an opinion.

Archived