Gibson Brands Forums

Slide?

surfpup

So my band mates (bass and drums) thought it would be a good idea to do some Allman Brothers songs. I nearly crapped my pants. I love the Allman Bros, but I was always intimidated by the slide parts. I told them I'd have to be Dickey, Duane, and Greg all at once! [crying]

Anyway we worked a bit on this one yesterday, and I am feeling like it is going to fly... thoughts? I'd especially appreciate comments from slide players as slide is kinda new to me. In fact, this is my (sorta) public slide guitar debut. [blush]

http://www.box.net/shared/fgozptliag

I was going to ask the question before, in a trio what do you do when you cover songs like this?

Sounds good, maybe a Boss RC-2 with rhythm guitar parts would help you.

The slide sounds good, needs to be a little brighter, but the playing is solid.

Sounds pretty good, Surfpup! The technique sounds absolutely killer, and just little more bite and a little more grit, and you'll have a freakin' great slide tone. Also, do you have a guitar set up specifically for slide playing? That would probably be a good thing to get on, although you definitely don't need one. I've been experimenting heavily with slide for months now, and I think it's just an absolute joy of a technique.

In my experience, you can't go wrong with a F#%&er Telecaster for slide playing. Man, that bridge pickup!

Well, your slide playing is way better than mine.

We do some Allman Bros. and I don't even attempt to play slide. I just use bends and finger slides to try and mimic the sound as best I can. Plus I don't feel like keeping an open tuning guitar on hand.

I used to try to play slide on Thing Called Love by Bonnie Raitt, but after like two attempts I said I wasn't going to subject the audience to that any more [biggrin]

The secret to covering Multiple Parts in a three piece band lies in the Bass Player. He needs to Walk and Fill his Arse Off. So does the Guitarist and the drummer. That's right, the drummer too.

But mostly the Bass Player should be listening for empty spaces and playing some of the guitar and keyboard rhythms high on the neck.

Over all, listen to the songs overall sound, don't try to play the same guitar part Dickey or Duane did. You'll have to Arrange your own guitar part that incorporates the important parts of the the Guitars and Keyboard.

ZZ Top is a good Classroom for this sort of thing. Billy Gibbons often Overdubs several Guitar Parts in the studio, but live he pares it down to one Guitar Part that emphasizes the overall rhythm figure of the song.

Thanks all. Some great tips so far.

Also' date=' do you have a guitar set up specifically for slide playing? [/quote']

Yes I do. It's a 2005 LP Standard faded. I have the action raised a bit and it's tuned to open Eb -- we tune down a half step, even the drummer (insert rim shot here).

That's a hot Statesboro Blues, Bluezboy. Very faithful to the Allman's version. I like it.

Here's a couple of the more Obvious but often overlooked slide tips. Make sure the slide's not too heavy to control and that is fits your finger snugly so you're not using your finger muscles to "hang on" to it.

BTW, that's pretty good slide work. Should make for some good Allman covers.

And nice work Bluezboy!

Sound great to me! I started playing slide a few years ago. My first attempt at Tush did not go well, but I'm getting better. The one thing I like about playing slide is there is no room for error. You need to have great ears and control to play it well. Anyhow, sounds like you're well off to a great start...

sounds pretty good to me but I'm not a slide player.

What type slide are you using - Glass' date=' chrome, etc..."[/quote']

On that track it's glass - a Coricidin bottle. Sometimes I use a brass one for ZZ Top stuff (Just Got Paid) to give it a bit more bite.

Archived