Gibson Brands Forums

Pardon me, I have GAS again (Update: Cured)

Silverbursted

Well here I go again. Got another case of GAS, but not what you may think. I have been 200% content with my current stable of guitars, but something is missing. I find myself in need of a bass (no not the fish, the other kind). So I have been thumping around trying to find the right one. I found this really cool shop here in town that specializes in everything basses. So I got schooled up and have at least narrowed it down to a P-bass with active PuPs.

I'm sure many of you have at least one bass sitting in the back of the closet. What are your thoughts and recommendations. I'll be playing through a 200 watt Genz Benz ('cause that's what the studio has).

I personally would stay away from active pickups, I mean if it is your only bass keep it simple.

I have a short scale First Act bass that I got used and paid $45 for, surprisingly it works just fine, 3 bass players have used it without complaints. I bought it just to have one but did not want to get into bass gear, I have enough GAS for guitar gear as it is.

I think a P bass with active pups is a great choice for an only bass. You might surprise yourself, as I have, and find your passion for stringed-things just as acute in the lower clef as the upper. I've had my first bass, a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 for less than a year and am seriously Jonesin' for more. Looking in a higher price range now that I'm more familiar with the species and what I want. But I suspect I'll end up with more than just a couple basses. Hope you enjoy it as much, it's been a kick in the pants for me.

I play a '50's Classic P and an '08 MIA Jazz.

Both bone stock' date=' kinda of just right the way they came.[/quote']

I know that eventually I'll add one or both of them to my own arsenal but I didn't wanna start with Fender. OTOH I knew I wasn't into something like this, either...

(Image is link)

most-expensive-bass-guitar-2.jpg

Going to the Low End is exciting at times. I enjoy playing my Bass every now and then. The P Bass types are versatile. Play some different ones until you find one that is comfortable and sounds good to you. Ibanez makes some good inexpensive ones, as does Yamaha, Mexican Fenders, Epiphone, and Gretsch. Higher end ones to consider would be Music Man, Ricks, MIA Fenders, and of course Gibson.

Having seen your nice signature' date=' I believe a nice hollow body would colour up your collection. Why not a L5, ES-175, ...or a Gretsch White Falcon...[cool']

Someday maybe, my teacher has a Gretch hollow body, not sure which model, but it's big and white and big with a bigsby and did I mention that it was big?

I am currently borrowing a bass from my dad that is very nice. It is a Fender five string fretless jazz bass and it has active pickups. I definitely prefer the active PU to regular ones. They've got a great tone. The fretless part is really cool to!

Why??? It's not like I have to build it first' date=' just toss in a 9 volt battery, and they don't cost any more. [confused']

Just my opinion, I personally don't care for active pickups, if they work without the battery that would be different.

Like the Marcus Miller Bass except I am sure those are pricey.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0257802321

Just my opinion' date=' I personally don't care for active pickups, if they work without the battery that would be different.

Like the Marcus Miller Bass except I am sure those are pricey.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0257802321[/quote']

Fair enough. But I'm looking in the vicinity of $800-$1200. Which leaves out Rics and high end Fenders or Gibsons.

I played a Warwick Fretless, they are very cool. Funny thing is that real bass players say they are harder to play, I'm not really seeing it, I actually felt it was more forgiving. Oh well.

I do play bass as my first instrument and I feel Warwick is more forgiving to me. Warwick does have Rockbass too, might want to keep that in mind too.

Archived