Gibson Brands Forums

Bands with more than a lead guitar rhythm guitar are stupid

slashadler

I don't think 3 guitar players in a band are bad. But when it comes down to all of your friends wanting to play nothing but the guitar, and want to be in the same band, then i think it becomes a problem. I remember trying to form a band a few years ago. Me and two others all played guitars. It was really hard to find a bass player and drummer in our town too. I mean some times it can be a mess, but with bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, they really know now to make it work.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Bands with more than a lead guitar rhythm guitar are stupid."

LMFAO *rolls eyes

Close minded people are funny in a tragic way.

Might as well start a thread that reads:

Rock is the only music genre on earth that uses guitars and english is the only language worth speaking.

Some bands go in the studio and write a check that their a$$ can't cash.

Ya know' date=' I was thinking the same thing.

The Beatles later albums (after they stopped live performances anyway) were far too intricate to reproduce live.

Moot point since they never tried, but then there were bands like The Monkees created to cash in on them and then later they were making attempts to tour when the musical skills were not, um, [i']equally distributed[/i] among the band members.

Growing up in the seventies, I thought that we were pretty much beyond that because the fans were smarter.

Then there was disco, and then the pop stuff started going back the same direction - lip-synching to tapes.

Then I read an article somewhere that Duran Duran (not really rock, but...) was going to tour in the early 80's.

All they had done up to that point was studio magic with lotsa paid musicians - to provide soundtracks for very expensive, elaborate music videos.

A live onstage performance required much rehearsal and sharpening of skills to pull it off, and a 5 member band had a dozen people in the group to make it work live - even with all the synths programmed ahead of time.....

Anyhow, the tour made tons of money and cemented their status as a "rock" band.

Whatever...

I'd rather see Guns N Roses with 4 guitar players if they can pull it off live and NAIL the songs.

(Not that Axl Rose would ever see a penny from me - just sayin'....)

"Bands with more than a lead guitar rhythm guitar are stupid."

LMFAO *rolls eyes

Close minded people are funny in a tragic way.

Might as well start a thread that reads:

Rock is the only music genre on earth that uses guitars and english is the only language worth speaking.

+1 [biggrin]

Matt

I know that JP was a masterful arranger and many Zep tunes were multple layered guitar parts. That being said, many things couldn't be reproduced live without multiple players, so when he toured briefly with The Black Crows, they were able to do a large bit of the Zep library. So, the underlying moral is,if that's what it takes to get the job done, who am I to b***h about it. Shutup sit back and enjoy the show.

The Jonas Bros have three guitar players[woot]

[blush]

LMAO, dude, you ain't right...LMAO.

why does Lynyrd Skynyrd come to mind? I know more than 2 guitars ain't a southern thang... but in Lynyrd's case - it is. Then there are the Eagles. Didn't Eric join the Beatles on a song...what was that song...I know it had 3 guitars in it.... Now Jimi Hendrix sounded like 3 guitars at once...

What was the name of that band that had Duane Allman in it? Didn't it have more than 3 guitar players in it?

What a thought provoking topic. I will have to come up with some of them myself here shortly.

WHEW! Faith restored. One of my kids hit the rap "stage" head on. Luckily, I didn't have to take him to concerts, he was more interested in an mp3 player. Total opposite, my oldest son hit the country "stage" head on. Neither admit to liking my generation(s) music but my homemade cd's are missing...found them in their cd players. Go figure.

BTW - it's alright if you really like the Jonas Bro's - I won't tell anyone. No one really reads these forums, right? Please tell me I am right. Right? [blush]

Archived