Gibson Brands Forums

Bands with more than a lead guitar rhythm guitar are stupid

slashadler

Finally someone catches on!!!!!! I knew about Iron Maiden and Lynyrd Skynyrd...... I many of their albums..... I was trying to get the message across that the new GN'R is ****!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!

With all due respect, to me it just seems like a cover up because of the dissent, but I won't judge.

I think Boston sounds great with 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd way to make a point. [laugh]

Like saying "Piano Players should stick to piano and not play Electric Keyboards," in an effort to illustrate how much I prefer Ray Charles Bluesy Piano stuff better than his Rockin'-Popy stuff he played on a Fender Rhodes. Then expecting everyone to get exactly what I'm talking about without ever mentioning Ray or even Soul Music.

Well, to go back to the original topic...

I'll keep stating my own opinion that it depends on the people involved in making music just how they collectively wish to do so. Some may want a trio, some a quartet... The sound is theirs.

Whether you're talking bluegrass or rock, jazz or whatever, the sound comes from the one, two or how many people that the group wishes to have. That to me is what makes a given group unique - and why, for example, the old "Byrds" had a degree of problem with longevity in that they were not the same over time and, again in my own opinion, should have changed the name of whatever they called themselves as a group.

For example, if I play jazz with Joe Smith, it's the Milod and Joe duo... Add Bill Jones and... whatever. <grin>

But if Joe leaves, it just ain't the same.

More than one guitar player doing his or her bit, whether lead or rhythm, brings a special sound. Two rhythm and one lead can bring an interesting "chorus" behind the lead. More than one lead can bring a neat counterpoint. It's up to the players, as far as I'm concerned.

m

There is no need for more than a lead guitar and a rhythm guitar.

There are some bands that have like 1 lead guitar and 3 rhythm guitars.... there is no need kick some out of the band

How many are in YOUR band?

:-)

As much as I love Led Zep, most of their live stuff was sorely in need of a second guitar.

When Jimmy Page did Live at the Greek with the Black Crowes, those songs were finally filled out to their potential with 3 guitar players.

When Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen, I was pumped!

Another great player to fill all those holes in Van Halen's live sound.

Nope.

Sammy only played rarely, the rest of the time Eddie was using synths.

I'll be the first to say VH sounded like sh!t live - every time I saw 'em.

Sadly, the same thing applies to much of the ZZ Top catalog of songs.

Catch a good southern rock show sometime.

Tell me 3 guitars do nothing.

After seeing Skynrd, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special and many, many others - tell me you could remove those guitars.

Would this be considered too many guitar's in a band?

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Or this?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Th5LAhw-E&feature=PlayList&p=DEC99CFDF230F775&index=16[/YOUTUBE]

This must be what you meant;

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34uhuIrZ3g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Arlc5J2YlA[/YOUTUBE]

a bad *** rythem section' date=' a guitarist paying attention and a good singer, sounds better then any other line up period!

[biggrin

re ZZ top

ZZ with a second guitarist would sound un ZZ top-esk!

I'm with you..Now a band with two bass players would be a problem! I think it's all in the arrangement. Done correctly a multi guitar band can work well.

I'm with you..Now a band with two bass players would be a problem! I think it's all in the arrangement. Done correctly a multi guitar band can work well.

Why would it be any more of a problem that two guitarists. If you listen to Zeps "Custard Pie" you'll hear two distinct Bass Parts. One Bass Guitar one Keys. Same with "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder, two very different bass lines that work together to make a really cool Bottom End. Why not two have two Bass Players playing the two parts instead of a Keyboardist and a Bassist?

ZZ with a second guitarist would sound un ZZ top-esk!

Now wait a minute....

Go back and listen to ANY of the ZZ Top catalog before Eliminator - that album was drenched with synth.

Find a guitar solo on any of their early albums that doesn't have a rhythm guitar part under it.

Not very many.

If it was recorded, mixed, and published with two guitars but you only have one on stage....

This goes back to what I posted regarding VH and Led Zep, lotsa other bands fell into that trap too.

Watching/listening to one guitar player perform miracles and Olympic-level fretboard gymnastics is impressive, but just like gymnastics on TV my interest soon wanes. That's why I was never a fan of Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson....

Personally, I like twin guitars for a full sound so the bass player doesn't need to perform like a show dog either.

Why would it be any more of a problem that two guitarists. If you listen to Zeps "Custard Pie" you'll hear two distinct Bass Parts. One Bass Guitar one Keys. Same with "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder' date=' two very different bass lines that work together to make a really cool Bottom End. Why not two have two Bass Players playing the two parts instead of a Keyboardist and a Bassist?[/quote']

If done right it's ok,

Exactly....... Anyone who gets pissed off at a forum has to much time on their hands. I stated my personal opinion' date=' people didn't have to reply to it. Just sayin.....[/quote']

Are you serious? You think you can state an opinion and that only those in agreement will/should respond? C'mon, get real.

I'm saddened that you know this.

there's only three... I've seen them 2x in concert[blush] ..... The lead singer plays acoustic in just a few songs.... But the one kid with the curly hair definitely smokes[cool] ...... The other kid is a good rhythm player...... The old back up dude really smokes.

I'll have to admit the recent concert at Staples Center was one of the loudest concerts I've attended' date=' and the guitar tones were massive[blink']

I'm saddened that you know this.

nah, I was channel surfing and it landed on Ellen's show which happened to be the time with their performance for Obamas.

They have 4.

I don't know if they changed it but, the 5 times I saw them online ( Heard one of them had a DF, was looking to see) there was one other guitarist in the backup band inaddition to the three of them

Archived