Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a Bluegrass song

gearbasher

My brother had an 8-track (remember those) that had a bluegrass song called "I'd Like to Live in Dreamland". Does anyone know the song and can give me the artist? Web searches have brought up a band called Country Ham, but that isn't the band he remembered. Thanks.

My brother had an 8-track (remember those) that had a bluegrass song called "I'd Like to Live in Dreamland". Does anyone know the song and can give me the artist? Web searches have brought up a band called Country Ham' date=' but that isn't the band he remembered. Thanks.[/quote']

I play bluegrass every Friday night. To my knowlege, I've never heard it. I'll ask around the bluegrass circles and see what I can come up with.

My brother had an 8-track (remember those) that had a bluegrass song called "I'd Like to Live in Dreamland". Does anyone know the song and can give me the artist? Web searches have brought up a band called Country Ham' date=' but that isn't the band he remembered. Thanks.[/quote']

Never heard of it.

Do and ASCAP or BMI search. If it's a public domain song, it might not show up. However I think those licensers... or whatever they are... I (ASCAP and BMI) do list performances.

Never heard of it.

Do and ASCAP or BMI search. If it's a public domain song' date=' it might not show up. However I think those licensers... or whatever they are... I (ASCAP and BMI) do list performances.[/quote']

Thanks for the suggestion, but I came up with ziltch. Kinda strange since the song is on this album:

http://www.countysales.com/php-bin/ecomm4/products.php?product_id=5466

I'm not sure if it's the same song my brother is looking for, or if it just has the same title.

I checked my usual Bluegrass and Traditional lyrics haunts and came up empty.

Many Bluegrass/American Heritage tunes are in the public domain and composers long mouldering in their respective graves. This could be a locally composed song by God knows who, God knows when.

Your best bet is to spend the dough and buy the disk, the use the time honored method of transcribing. You could do less impressive things with $13.50 = S&H.

I've been looking for the music / lyrics to Possum in the Road. I finally found the guy I heard sing it. He gave me the CD he copped it off of. I'll be ordering one for under the tree this year.

I'm not looking to play it. My brother would like the to have the same version of the song he listened to back in the 70s. I think he wants to relive his youth...cruisin' around in a '69 Skylark, listenin' to country/bluegrass....yada, yada, yada.

I just checked my Bluegrass Complete book and it's not there either. I'll ask the gang at the Foothills Bluegrass Society if they've ever heard of it.

KAREN! You have "Bluegrass Complete" as well? Is it the one with all those old photos of the original bluegrassers? Monroe, Flatt, Skruggs, et. al.? Ooh. that and Banjer chords! I bought mine years ago. IT has All 100 Bluegrass songs. Must be all there is as the book does say 'Complete'.

KAREN! You have "Bluegrass Complete" as well? Is it the one with all those old photos of the original bluegrassers? Monroe' date=' Flatt, Skruggs, et. al.? Ooh. that and Banjer chords! I bought mine years ago. IT has All 100 Bluegrass songs. Must be all there is as the book does say 'Complete'.

[/quote']

Haha! I thought the same thing..... wow, all 100 bluegrass songs. Guess that's it! [cool] Yes, I've got the same book. I haven't had mine that long tho'..... I bought it off Taylorgyrl on the AGF awhile back. I never even noticed the banjer chords. Hey, I'll have to get me a banjer now!

• 3 years later...

I think I must have had the same 8-track as your brother (this was around 1969 or 1970), and I have been looking for this song for many years. The tape I had was a bluegrass album with mostly gospel songs on it - in addition to "Dreamland", I do remember it had "Jericho Road" and "Paul and Silas". I also seem to recall that the artists were a family, like the Stanley Brothers (or some other "brothers" group). I took the advice of one of the other posters and ordered the Country Ham version and, while it is the same song, it is definitely not as good as the original. The original was a male vocalist singing lead, while the Country Ham has a female lead along with a male on harmony. So, while the Country Ham version is OK, it's definitely not what you're looking for. I'm still looking and will keep you all posted.

Yes, I was aware of the age of the original post; however, if these folks have been looking for this song for as long as I have (20 plus years), then they're probably still looking and monitoring the board. I have posts/questions on other boards that sometimes bear fruit many years after the original post. I am nothing if not persistent. :)

• 2 months later...

Dreamland is on a Countryville LP "Coming Up From Nashville". It is available on-line. Jim and Jesse are on side 1 and The Stanley Bros. and Carl Story are mentioned on side 2, but unfortunately the artist is not identified. I have also been trying to figure this out for a long long time.

Yes, I was aware of the age of the original post; however, if these folks have been looking for this song for as long as I have (20 plus years), then they're probably still looking and monitoring the board. I have posts/questions on other boards that sometimes bear fruit many years after the original post. I am nothing if not persistent. :)

I agree. I've been looking for a copy of "Back To The Future" for as long.

• 1 year later...

WOW! I just got a freaky call from my brother thanking me for finding a song for him ("Dreamland" playing in the background). I had no idea what he was talking about. Then he mentions a post on the Gibson forum and it all came back. Seems he was running a search for the song and found this old post. I haven't been on the forum for quite a while. So, I never saw the later replies. Well, I just wanted to say: if "livemusic" and/or "jsk" are still around...Thank You.

Archived