Gibson Brands Forums

How to get out of a Funk

Silenced Fred

Has anyone ever felt bored with music or the guitar?

I am kind've at that point right now, I play about 45 minutes to an hour a day, but for some reason, it has lost that magic, that feeling that I once had, the magic. To put it in the words of BB King, "The thrill is gone" [lol]

I am just wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way, and maybe offer up suggestions to get out of this rut, and feel that passion once again.

If you are only interacting with the guitar and not other musicians' date=' this can happen.

The real magic is when you can get a response from others about your guitar playing.[/quote']

I do, I play in my school's guitar ensemble, a Blues Band at my school with friends, and a smaller acoustic group playing songs. I play varying genres of music, and am learning new stuff all the time.

It's not that, I don't know what it is exactly.

I've had periods when it hasnt seemed as exiting as before, but I've always gotten out of it, and agter these peiods I'm always more exited by it.

Just keep playin man, maybe buy somethin new and test it out.

Take up the recorder...you'll soon see the light again.

LOL but it isn't so much the guitar, I mean I still enjoy playing it, but it is music as a whole, I am not sure what it is.

As I am writing this, I am playing along with Blues Boy Tune and it just doesn't get to me as some songs used to.

Listen to some old-school Tower of Power.

It's kind of into the funk, and if you can figure out what they're doing, it can pull you out of the funk. So to speak.

Bruce Conte is a freak, and later Jeff Tamalier, too. Guitar on a different plane - but it matches up so well to everything else I've ever heard or tried to do...

Just my 2 cents.

I'd say, "change style and concept entirely."

Getting a semi-hollow did a lot of that for me after a thousand years or so of mostly hollow, but frequently a solidbody. I determined to try different stuff with a different sound. I used a bit of flatpick instead of my usual fingerstyle. Sheesh, suddenly the fingerboard was a different instrument.

m

Take a break. Put it down for a couple weeks. When I go on vacation I never take a guitar with me. It gives me a needed break. I always come back raring to go.

My recomendation

Murph has some good ideas too, but I'd rather be in a funk than go thru that list.

Get a divorce.

Go to rehab.

Wreck your car.

Lose your job.

This is easy Fred......

:-({|=

I am not saying that this is the end all be all, just saying, it sucks #-o

I appreciate the suggestions

Whenever I complain about something, I think of 'Rich Kid Blues' by The Raconteurs, kinda fits in I guess

I am not saying that this is the end all be all' date=' just saying......

[/quote']

I wrote my best stuff when I was going through a divorce, losing my house, and was broke.

Once I got on my feet, I couldn't write anymore.

I can play just fine, I just don't write much.......

Just sayin'..........................

I wrote my best stuff when I was going through a divorce' date=' losing my house, and was broke.

[/quote']

Same here, when I lost this girl, had fights with a friend, problems in general, I wrote the best, two songs and haven't written anything since. Maybe I should try writing again to help it out and get out of this funk.

Thanks Murph, I would have to say I just had an epiphany due to you.

I want a 339 too, just saying

I wanna be just like you :-({|=

I wrote my best stuff when I was going through a divorce' date=' losing my house, and was broke.

[/quote']

Murph, it sounds like your "best stuff" is probably CLASSIC blues. Am I right?

I suggest you think back to when you were a less experienced player and recall what songs you attempted to learn and were not able to for lack of skill. If there are still songs you never learned and wanted to, tackle them. It will make you happy to know you've improved, or push you to get better if you can't hack it.

I re-discovered two songs I love and got good enough to play. Cant' put the guitar down now.

The break idea is good too. I went to visit a friend for a few days and when I got back I was happy to see my girls.

I suggest you think back to when you were a less experienced player and recall what songs you attempted to learn and were not able to for lack of skill. If there are still songs you never learned and wanted to' date=' tackle them. It will make you happy to know you've improved, or push you to get better if you can't hack it.

I re-discovered two songs I love and got good enough to play. Cant' put the guitar down now.

The break idea is good too. I went to visit a friend for a few days and when I got back I was happy to see my girls.

[/quote']

Most of the songs I wanted to play when I started, I play now.

Maybe I should just take a break or something [biggrin]

What you're going through, Fred, will be invaluable as you get along in years and play in bands after High School.

I was in the Marching Band, Pep Band, Jazz Band and Concert Band when I was in High School. There were times when I didn't want to listen to the radio because all I could do was listen to the tempo, figure out what key it was in, count the rests, listen for cues, find Rhythm Figures.........it was like I couldn't listen to music for the pure enjoyment of it anymore.

Then an older guitar player friend of mine put it into perspective for me. He said something like, "That's the difference between the Audience and the Performer."

I don't know if any of that helps your situation, but the experience you're having will Temper your skills as a musician long after you leave High School.

Archived