Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson is all that for guitars, but I'm going to the Carvin Factory

Riverside

Hope you enjoy it, Riv, I'd like to join you. I used to get their mailer but they finally gave up on me. Haven't seen any of their instruments, although the guy I'm hiring to give us a few bass lessons is a pro using Carvin basses so we'll see. Murph swears by their PA stuff, and I've heard good things from other sources as well. I think the only real complaint I've ever read was the limited pick-up selection in the build process. But we know that can be changed any time AFTER.

Have a good time, mon.

Hope you enjoy it' date=' Riv, I'd like to join you. I used to get their mailer but they finally gave up on me. Haven't seen any of their instruments, although the guy I'm hiring to give us a few bass lessons is a pro using Carvin basses so we'll see. Murph swears by their PA stuff, and I've heard good things from other sources as well. I think the only real complaint I've ever read was the limited pick-up selection in the build process. But we know that can be changed any time AFTER.

Have a good time, mon.[/quote']

You're only about 800 miles away - leave now and you could go with me!

Have fun. Try to check out some old Carvins. I have been pining for an Carvin SH225 and they do not make them anymore. Had a DC127 in the early 90's. Nice guitar, but did not fit my style by the late 90's so I sold it. Had it tricked out with black hardware and a Floyd Rose. It was Kirk Hammett all the way.

Carvin is in the "Good But" category for me.

They're "Good But" Gibson and Fender make better Guitars.

They're "Good But" Fender and Marshall make better Amps.

They're "Good But" Yamaha and Mackie makes better Mixing Boards.

They're "Good But" Crown makes better PA's.

The only thing I'd really want from Carvin is a Custom Double Neck Bass/Guitar.

Carvin is in the "Good But" category for me.

They're "Good But" Gibson and Fender make better Guitars.

They're "Good But" Fender and Marshall make better Amps.

They're "Good But" Yamaha and Mackie makes better Mixing Boards.

They're "Good But" Crown makes better PA's.

Love ya, man....

BUT...........

Mackie hasn't been Mackie for quite some time. Do some research.

Carvin DCM power amps are VERY highly rated.

As for Gibson and Fender making a "better" guitar, do you mean better finished? Better woods? Tighter specs?

I gigged for a decade with a guy that used a Carvin Bel Air for a good portion of that time and it was an excellent amp, bulletproof reliable, and great tone. When I played bass for a few years with the same guy, I went with a Carvin R1000 with the "redeye" 4;10 cab, and it will cause Earthquakes. Bulletproof reliable. This same guy recently bought an entire Carvin P.A. rig, although we're in different bands now.

I have a 10 year old Carvin monitor that sounds better, and has been more reliable than my "Made In Mexico" JBL.

I've been beating Carvin gear in and out of trucks, vans, bars, clubs, ect., for many years and have nothing but good things to say about this old American Company.

Enjoy your trip.

Murph.

Well, Murph, when I say Better Guitar, I mean "Sounding". Their newer guitars and basses are made well, no question, but the pick ups need changing right off. I like a guitar that you can leave alone after spending nearly a Grand on.

As for the PA's and Speakers, I still haven't found a better sounding set up than Crown into JBL. Carvin may be more Durable, and that counts for a lot, but until I hear the Range you get from JBL and Crown, I'll just be careful not to drop anything.

Amps, I haven't tried anything except the VAI Amp and it reminded me of a Crate. Plus I'd just played a Mesa Dual Rectifier, so.........

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Carvin, and I'm sure the tour of the factory will be *****en, I just prefer Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Mesa, Crown, and JBL because of what my ears told me.

DO NOT look at the CS6M.

Serious........

Well' date=' I played a CS6M for a little while through both the Nomad and the Vintage 16.

[img']http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/guitars-in-stock/large/94601b.jpg[/img]

It was kind of like a day at Disneyland.

I would have brought home all three except for that annoying lack-of-money-thing...

I'll go back soon, with pocketful of cash and things will turn out differently.

Archived