Gibson Brands Forums

post a picture of yourself!

S t e v e

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a lot of respect for Milod and his style of response. I was just a little offended at being called naive. No big deal.

CoC' date=' if you'll forgive me, you need to get over being offended by being perceived as naive...is many respects you are. You simply haven't been around long enough to have the distance from things that gives a greater perspective. There's nothing [i']wrong[/i] with naivete'. Trust me, at 61 I still find myself quite naive about some things. And it doesn't bother me one bit. Sometimes, depending upon the topic, I'd PREFER being naive.

CoC' date=' if you'll forgive me, you need to get over being offended by being perceived as naive...is many respects you are. You simply haven't been around long enough to have the distance from things that gives a greater perspective. There's nothing [i']wrong[/i] with naivete'. Trust me, at 61 I still find myself quite naive about some things. And it doesn't bother me one bit. Sometimes, depending upon the topic, I'd PREFER being naive.

Of course you are forgiven. We all have our preferences.

JP man...

Well' date=' I ain't a pro, but I've shot various semis as well as revolvers in competition and I'm dead, cold serious that if today I had to go into harm's way and had my choice of any sidearm, I'd grab a revolver. Some 20 years ago it would have been a certain da. Today more likely a sa, believe it or not - and that includes multiple targets at 15 yards or less or even up to 40-50 yards or so.

The difference is that suppressive fire has tactical uses for a pro. Hanging in harm's way with pros on duty likely would bring a different perspective to hold up my end and not become a liability. OTOH, for just me? Naaah. If a SA wouldn't do it for me on my own, it's unlikely that even a full auto could. 4 1/2" bb in town; 7 in the country, 2" bb da dressed up.

In fact... a 5-shooting 1858 Remington ain't a bad choice for rural exercises. But again, military/swat is a different game and yeah, I'd look at a different set of equipment for such work. It just wouldn't fit my hands as nicely.

For what it's worth, and granted a 5-round per mag was a disadvantage for "the heat," I've seen CAS shooters outshoot law enforcement's modern stuff in three-gun shoots - and to win with each of the three arms. Some of the LE guys were trophy winners in other shooting disciplines, but the old stuff in the hands of one who knows them? <grin>

Gibson guitars...

Same deal. The classics are beautiful, functional and long-lasting. Gibsons best guitars were well-conceived, well built and both play and sound as well today as 100 or 50 years ago. Heck, the LP is over 50... Anybody wanna suggest it's less capable than some newer design? Not me, bubba.

As for "morals," well, as with guitars and a thousand other objects, tools are only as moral or immoral as the human being who uses them.

Yes, I think music has been used for some horridly immoral purposes up to and including hatred and violence - but then one must ask "moral" by what criterion and prating platitudes doesn't really buy it.

Zum beispeil, man hat Horst-Wessel-Lied. At least, one has it for example outside Germany and Austria today. Hmmmm.

m

[/quote']

hey milod, i dont doubt your aim. [cool] and you know what you are comfortable with and thats probably the most important thing. guns are very much like guitars....you gotta find what works for you. cheers. [lol]

Damn I was hoping for more pics of Izzy and you guys go and start a gun war. Guns are cool, I have a few, my baby is my HK USP .40 got it right when I turned 21. I respect people who think guns are bad too, as long as I can keep mine I don't really care.

Anways on to more important stuff, Izzy feel free to post more pics.

CofC...

I didn't mean anything as an insult, just an observation that reflects the reality of one with a bit more experience, not all of which has necessarily been pleasant.

As I've stated before I've covered more than a few murder trials and in not one instance was a firearm used.

The worst? One was literally a toilet plunger, another was literally a tree limb. A recent one I've had a little to do with, although not as the prime reporter, was strictly hands. Horrid, horrid, horrid and incredibly foul and nasty. In each case, believe me, a firearm would have been far preferable from the victim's perspective.

Chop sticks, btw, have always had a weapon utility, as have the stuff we use daily in western civilization to aid in taking our food from a pot or plate into our mouths to eat. Tree limbs are used by other primates as weapons and tools, and a toilet plunger is just a specifically modified tree limb.

It's just that most "modern" education tends to create an assumption that there are "nice things" and "not-nice things," "nice attitudes" and "not nice attitudes" that a "civilized" person should take as a "truth" even if they deny obvious realities.

It's like a not-so-young woman friend said in wanting gun control: "It's just not right that a woman can't walk anywhere in the world without feeling she's in danger." Hey, I agree with that, and may in fact feel more strongly than she does about it - it's just that it takes a leap of faith far further than most, as well as denial of history, to then suggest that a lack of firearms in the world would change that one whit.

Hey, it's truly like suggesting that were there no guitars, there would be no music. We all know better.

I think frankly that one reason the "classics" no longer are read much beyond "higher" and more specialized levels of education is that they revealed humankind as we are, not as some might wish we would be. Homer, Plato, Livy, Petronius, Shakespeare... even the truly old stuff like Gilgamesh is revealing. We haven't changed, I fear.

"Modern" education tends to ignore all that and hit into a more political statement of wishful thinking.

A truly classic education included, and expanded from the beginner's study, of the trivium, grammar, logic and rhetoric; then was expanded by the quadrivium, arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy. As part of that one learned history, languages, philosophy, literature of all sorts, architecture and even military arts.

m

Well...

That's a first for me...

I didn't realize a discussion of educational systems was a no-no enough to have posts excised.

Mea Culpa from the old guy. I still think the trivium and quadrivium are important subjects and reflect well on this forum.

Music, after all, is one of the more important classical subjects treated in the quadrivium.

Duane...

I can't recall in which thread I responded to your comments about dollar costs of music education compared to where I live where it's "free."

Seriously, if I have any sort of regional prejudices this is one of them. A good friend, about whom I wrote a piece for Guitar Player mag many years ago, had similar "cost" experience in Philly. He stayed out here to teach music after getting his masters in music ed.

I think it's a shame that music isn't accorded greater respect in today's education.

m

Damn I was hoping for more pics of Izzy and you guys go and start a gun war. Guns are cool' date=' I have a few, my baby is my HK USP .40 got it right when I turned 21. I respect people who think guns are bad too, as long as I can keep mine I don't really care.

Anways on to more important stuff, Izzy feel free to post more pics.[/quote']

Aww, ok. Me so giddy I can't stop smiling o.O

phonepix034.jpg

Archived