Gibson Brands Forums

Glasses

Rocky4

When I think of my favorite guitar players' date=' only one, Clapton, wears glasses. Does 20-20 vision make a better guitar player?[/quote']

Hmmmm..................

It may sound a bit of a silly question but there's maybe more to it than we first suspect.

Firstly, Clapton only started wearing glasses comparatively recently. Obviously the older one gets, and the less flexible the eye's lens becomes, the greater the odds are that at some time one will need man-made help to maintain clarity/sharpness of vision.

As both Grampa and Chanman have pointed out : vanity and the free availability of contact lenses mean that nowadays few people who wish to avoid wearing glasses have not the alternative option.

BUT; even forty or fifty years ago the number of bespectacled frontmen, whether as singer, guitarist or whatever, in popular music was not, I believe, proportionate to those wearing glasses in the rest of society.

There were a few, of course; Buddy Holly, Hank Marvin, John Lennon spring to mind as some obvious examples but after those it gets harder for me to bring many to mind.

Classical and jazz circles seem to be different; indeed a lot of jazzers wore/wear glasses. Perhaps they are less concerned about the visual image they project? Perhaps it's even considered cool to wear glasses? The wearing of glasses can sometimes be perceived to give out an impression of professorial intellect.

Is it all about Ego?

Were kids who wore glasses from an early age picked on at school and, as a result, less likely to become extrovert - something desirable if not essential in a front-man - in their adult lives?

I think you asked an interesting question, Rocky4.

It's certainly made me, for one, think about it.

Archived