Gibson Brands Forums

custom shop jimmy page no 2 aged...HOW MUCH!!!

S t e v e

I think us guitarists are spoiled being able to get such top notch instruments for relatively cheap, compared to other instruments. Fair enough, it sounds like this guitar a bit of a collectors item, but when you think us guitarists (acoustic and electric) can get premium instruments, from about £2000 we are very lucky[cool]

£7000 in the violin world is not upper scale like in the guitar world.

Matt

I think us guitarists are spoiled being able to get such top notch instruments for relatively cheap' date=' compared to other instruments. Fair enough, it sounds like this guitar a bit of a collectors item, but when you think us guitarists (acoustic and electric) can get premium instruments, from about £2000 we are very lucky[cool']

£7000 in he violin world is not upper scale like in the guitar world.

Matt

Yeah and try to buy a good quality harp or piano for 2000......

You could buy a more 'normal' LP, do the wiring and (if you really had to) artificially age it a bit

for a lot less than that - I reckon you could get a luthier to do TWO for that price, sell one and

still have change left over to buy strings and things, maybe a half-decent amp. Oh, I forgot.....

It's a collector's piece. Well..... not in my book. Greeny's LP is arguably 'collectable', since it has

history and provenance (the fact that it's a pig to fret is neither here nor there), but a piece out

of the factory is not 'collectable' just because they say it is a limited run of 100 and a close imitation

of somebody's guitar. Heck, if you shuffled the wording around a bit - you would be describing a fake.

Judge an instrument by what it does for you and what you can do with it.

Not what the seller tells you.

Not the price tag.

Not the maker.

if i payed that sort of cash for a guitar i'd wanna play the nuts off of it! not sit there staring at it :) ' date=' mind you the people who do buy them probably have more money than sence anyway...:- [/quote']

too right Steve;

My pride and joy in my collection is my Tony Johnson Classical guitar, which is valued now at about £5000-£6000. When I first got it, I didn't take it to work (guitar teaching in school) and treated it with kid gloves, until one day I thought; 'Matt, what is the point of having a great instrument, if you are not going to really use it? LOL. I changed from that day onwards...

It goes everywhere now, including teaching, my local pub (where I am allowed to practice while I enjoy a drink) and even the in laws. It, or he, as I refer to him, is my friend![confused]

Matt

It's a collector's piece. Well..... not in my book. Greeny's LP is arguably 'collectable'' date=' since it has

history and provenance (the fact that it's a pig to fret is neither here nor there), but a piece out

of the factory is not '[i']collectable[/i]' just because they say it is a limited run of 100 and a close imitation

of somebody's guitar. Heck, if you shuffled the wording around a bit - you would be describing a fake.

Too true. If the guitar Jimmy Page played at woodstock was up for sale I'd call that a collectable.

They make one with the same dents on it and everything...meh, boring.

Why - thankyou mam, I am honoured.

Just to add to Matt's comment, here are my favourite guitars in hand at the moment:-

[1] Harmony H6365 from '74/'75 with one of the first run of "Bill Lawrence" electric pups (kinda P-90)

The guitar is worth diddlysquat, Jzchak 'EZ' Wajcman reckons the pup's at $1,000US these days.....

[2] Teisco SS-4L from early in 1964. It's the guitar Houndog Taylor played, with four gold-foil pups

Well - the pups fetch about $100US each - but the guitar has so many mods it is worth diddlysquat.

[3] Aria Pro II RS Wildcat from 1986 out of Matsumoku with Maxon pups

Maybe a couple of hundred bucks on a good day, more if I threw in the strap.

[4] Framus 5/53 Capri from 1959 (copy of the 1934 Gibson L-50)

Probably couldn't give it away, the action is not good (I use it for slide playing).

[5] Epiphone Sheraton II from January 1995 out of Samick

Pups are 59's, saddles Graph-Tech and I have fitted a Bigsby B7 made in '60 or '61

The mods are probably worth more than the guitar, and I'd be lucky to get what, $600US, less even.

But - and here's the thing - I wouldn't swap ALL or ANY of them for Matt's $10,000US Johnson.

Because they work for me - and have done for a long, long time.....

I make you right!

I too wouldn't swap my Epiphone Sheraton 2 for anything, even my Tony Johnson guitar. It is a fantastic instrument in it's own right.

I don't think you did mean this but Just to clarify I wasn't saying that an expensive guitar means it is better, just that it should be used despite it's value.

Matt

No amigo Matt - I am with you 100% of the way. Guitars are for playing.

It's how the elves inside them express themselves. And whilst I was/am

agreeing with you on that point, I was also saying the price tag is not an

issue to even consider if you want playability, if you find a really playable

guitar for $1 or $100,000, then play the bejasus out of it. That's it's raison d'etre.....

What I was told by a manager at Long & McQuade after Gibson emailed all the stores. Limited numbers and $8000- 9000 CDN. He also said something about stores having some kind of lottery system in order to get one.

Not my words so don't shoot the messenger [confused] just sayin lol

After checking the currency conversion from GBP to CDN , way off. Something like $13 500.00 CDN, wow too much for my blood .

if i payed that sort of cash for a guitar i'd wanna play the nuts off of it! not sit there staring at it :- ' date=' mind you the people who do buy them probably have more money than sence anyway...:- [/quote']

I agree... for that kind of money I'd play her every day and night.

/chuckle

You know, this is why I won't play an ugly guitar.... Nothing else really matters to me... how does it play? How does it sound?

Money, looks, brand, wood, pups... nothing else matters, only what sounds I can coax out of it.

I think us guitarists are spoiled being able to get such top notch instruments for relatively cheap' date=' compared to other instruments. Fair enough, it sounds like this guitar a bit of a collectors item, but when you think us guitarists (acoustic and electric) can get premium instruments, from about £2000 we are very lucky[cool']

£7000 in the violin world is not upper scale like in the guitar world.

Matt

Indeed, a friend of mine is a pianist and in talking about instruments he told me: you are lucky, the piano I want is $70,000.

Archived