Gibson Brands Forums

What do you bring to gigs?

Silenced Fred

Picks, strings, stomp boxes, batteries, rags, guitar stands, spare straps, squeeze-lemon (for your throat), spare axe, spare mic, wire cutters, pliers, screwdrivers, electrical tape, bandaids, extra hair band, eye-drops, ditty bag to put it all in...except the spare guitar.

Picks' date=' strings, stomp boxes, batteries, rags, guitar stands, spare straps, squeeze-lemon (for your throat), spare axe, spare mic, wire cutters, pliers, screwdrivers, electrical tape, bandaids, extra hair band, eye-drops, ditty bag to put it all in...except the spare guitar. [/quote']

I forgot TUNER!!

Picks' date=' strings, stomp boxes, batteries, rags, guitar stands, spare straps, squeeze-lemon (for your throat), spare axe, spare mic, wire cutters, pliers, screwdrivers, electrical tape, bandaids, extra hair band, eye-drops, ditty bag to put it all in...except the spare guitar. [/quote']

My Mesa uses 1; GZ34 (rectifier tube), 2;6V6's, 4;EL84's and a buttload of 12AX7's. My Prosonic uses the same except the power tubes are 6L6's. I rarely bring a spare amp, but ALWAYS have a "Rubbermade" type little box with NEW spare tubes, and make sure I have spare fuses for both amps. High profile gigs I will bring both amps if there is room on stage, and it looks cool to have two rigs.

Always have a spare guitar with fresh strings tuned up with it's own strap ready to grab. Trust me.

Oh yea.....

Duct tape. If you don't need it now, you can use it later.

What is a decent quality bag to haul the random necessities around in?

I just got a new one at Kmart.

Sports type bag, under $30.00.

You can spend more.............

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more......

A sturdy' date=' expandable nylon gym bag has served me for the last 10 years. I probably spent less than 20 bucks on it.

[/quote']

I got over ten years out of the one I stole from my wife, when we were dating.

I probably spent way the hell over 20 bucks on that gym bag, eh........................?

[thumbup]

I got over ten years out of the one I stole from my wife' date=' when we were dating.

I probably spent way the hell over 20 bucks on that gym bag, eh........................?

[thumbup

I'm gonna guess you both got your money's worth. But, yeah, that bag cost you more than a Jackson. [cool]

Fred, another thing to consider when starting out is you'll be playing with a number of different groups/individuals over the years as you develop. When mixing your own gear with that of someone else it's important to have a quick, irrefutable method of IDing yours from theirs. I always put a spot of paint somewhere on my "common" gear, like mics, cables, PA speakers, etc. I used a real ugly old Ford Bronco color from the 60's that I never saw anywhere else. When you're packing out, it's real easy to tell your mic stand(s) from everyone else's because of the bright, ugly paint spot on the base (or anywhere else fairly inconspicuous at first glance) or splashed along the ends of cords close to the plugs. It'll save you arguments with drunk band-mates who "know their stuff" when they see it.

Fred' date=' another thing to consider when starting out is you'll be playing with a number of different groups/individuals over the years as you develop. When mixing your own gear with that of someone else it's important to have a quick, irrefutable method of IDing yours from theirs. I always put a spot of paint somewhere on my "common" gear, like mics, cables, PA speakers, etc. I used a real ugly old Ford Bronco color from the 60's that I never saw anywhere else. When you're packing out, it's real easy to tell your mic stand(s) from everyone else's because of the bright, ugly paint spot on the base (or anywhere else fairly inconspicuous at first glance) or splashed along the ends of cords close to the plugs. It'll save you arguments with drunk band-mates who "know their stuff" when they see it.[/quote']

I started putting paint or stickers or just writing my name on most of it

Good job! It all adds up.

Yeah' date=' someone else already tried to claim my gear, too bad I know my stuff [thumbup

So far, I have my pedals, cables, footswitch, picks, spare strings, string winder and my guitar and amp. Just threw some tape in there, both masking and duct tape

Yeah' date=' someone else already tried to claim my gear, too bad I know my stuff [cool']

So far, I have my pedals, cables, footswitch, picks, spare strings, string winder and my guitar and amp. Just threw some tape in there, both masking and duct tape

Don't forget extra batteries and a Leatherman tool, useful for too many things to mention.

A plastic baggie full of Cheerios (for your girlfriend's baby, in case he gets hungry.)

A few tabs of acid (for a few audience members chosen at random before the show.)

A copy of QMS' Shady Grove (because I never get tired of that one.)

A few cans of Fruit Cocktail (I like the Del Monte brand the most.)

A few Jellifish Picks (to make your guitar sound like it's dying.)

A terrible solid state practice amp (just to confuse the other guitarists in the audience.)

A few cans of Colt 45 (because, as Billy Dee Williams says, it works every time.)

A Monopoly board (for the downtime and what not.)

A banjo.

Oh, and everything these guys mentioned. I can't think of any other essentials.

I have a nice little 18"H X 24T X 16"D. Tilt and roll box with all the goodies.

Cables. Strings. Picks. Duct Tape. Pedals. 9v Batteries. Dykes. Screwdriver Set. Flashlights.Box Cutters. Legal Pad and Sharpies. Beretta Bobcat.

******************************************************************************************

Archived