Gibson Brands Forums

Stuff you never understood

Silenced Fred

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get Gangsta' s who ware baggy pants and untied shoes. I mean if your a gangster it stands to reason your involved in criminal activities and will likely have to run from the cops at which time your shoes will come off rounding a corner and you'll be holding up your pants the whole time. Fighting as well it's got to be hard to fight in all them baggy clothing.

Now skinheads (whom I hate) ware laced up boots simi tight pants and flight jackets which are slippery and hard to grab onto. Plus they have no hair to grab or get in their way. which makes since seeing as how they fight all the time.

The meaning of life has little to do with you being proud of yourself. Quite the contrary.

Well everyone has their own way in beliving what their meaning of the life is.

Some family.

Some Music.

and so on.

I always belived in fighting for what you belive to be right.

Is it stupid?

No **** it is!

IM happy im even alive.

Stuff I never understood?

-dem00n (Hey buddy, you brought that upon yourself!)

-Racism, intolerance, etc.

-What people see in The Eagles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Ani DiFranco, or James Taylor

-Half of the things Ozzy Osbourne says these days

-The big deal about the Ibanez TS808

-Why McDonalds thinks that a quarter-pounder is big enough for anyone

Stuff I never understood?

-dem00n (Hey buddy' date=' you brought that upon yourself!)

-Racism, intolerance, etc.

-What people see in The Eagles, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Ani DiFranco, or James Taylor

-Half of the things Ozzy Osbourne says these days

-The big deal about the Ibanez TS808

-Why McDonalds thinks that a quarter-pounder is big enough for anyone[/quote']

True. [crying]

People who take the Brutal Metalocalypse-esque things that Dem00n says seriously.

$2500+ price Tag on any Guitar

Waldorf Salad

Tube Socks

Proper Silverware Etiquette

One Ply Toilet Paper

American Pie movies (The Humors just Dumb and Obvious)

Ashton Kutcher

People who take the Brutal Metalocalypse-esque things that Dem00n says seriously.

$2500+ price Tag on any Guitar

Waldorf Salad

Tube Socks

Proper Silverware Etiquette

One Ply Toilet Paper

American Pie movies (The Humors just Dumb and Obvious)

Ashton Kutcher

I don't get most of those things either [laugh]

One more thing: as far as I know, the Gibson Custom Shop doesn't really make "Custom" guitars, just versions of models with different features.

Do they make one offs like other guitar companies? Where you get to pick the specs?

I don't get most of those things either [laugh]

One more thing: as far as I know' date=' the Gibson Custom Shop doesn't really make "Custom" guitars, just versions of models with different features.

[i']Do they make one offs like other guitar companies? Where you get to pick the specs?[/[/i]quote]

Yeah, actually they do! But, you'd better have a hefty bank account, and be a patient person...

'cause it will take a LOT of both! ;>)

CB

Yeah' date=' actually they do! But, you'd better have a hefty bank account, and be a patient person...

'cause it will take a LOT of both! ;>)

CB[/quote']

My question is this: can the average end user get a custom one off guitar to your specifications? For example, Carvin lets you customize your guitar i.e. pick finish, pups, various accessories, custom logos and the sort, does Gibson do any of this that is built off of models they have with minor changes that the end user chooses? I think they are missing a huge market here, I mean I think one of the greatest things ever would be a gloss finish body with a satin neck on a 335, but can I get that from Gibson for little more than a standard 335 with gloss finish? I don't think so

That is one frustrating thing

DeVeeWee

You're absolutely correct about lack of mention of other than rock players here.

OTOH, I think we've also a situation here where much of the playing is done by those playing variations of "rock."

My baby bro is 28 years younger. His music and mine are far, far apart. I got a kick out of one kid I jammed with who said he was proud that he'd ended up jamming with both of us and seeing how different our concepts of music were.

I'm far more influenced by jazz, folk, blues and country than that brother. He's far more influenced by variations in culture and a smoother electronic sort of sound.

Age has a lot to do with it, and the musical environment in which you were raised. My "mother" was very musical and music always was running in the house. My "Mom" now, is not so musical, and her son, my brother, found more of his musical influences elsewhere and literally a generation away from my own.

I'll admit I get a bit bothered by cross generational growls more that by political growls on this forum. Frankly I get bothered by those who let themselves get bothered by politics they don't particularly agree with as much as those who are bothered by musical tastes they don't agree with. (I'll admit that I loathe rap, though.)

I love, on the other hand, working to analyze both musical styles and cultural influences on them.

Anyway, I love fingerstyle solo guitar; Chet Atkins and Joe Pass are so different in ways it's ridiculous, and yet both did things with chords and making a full "score" with one guitar that they also have some interesting similarities.

I'm no Fender fan, but listening to Roy Buchanan doing "Misty" makes one wonder whether the sound, if not feel of the guitar, doesn't have to be considered so one dimensional.

I dunno. I hate Fender necks. But then I don't play a "Fender style."

Today's rock is fine, but... gee, yeah, there's an awful lot more.

m

Archived