Gibson Brands Forums

Talk to me about Crate amps....

ShredAstaire

Who has issues with Crate amps? Name names.....

Back in the day they made some cool gear that looked like industrial crates and sounded good.

And now - their "V" series and Palomino tube amps (from 5watt to 100watt) are fine sounding.

Listen - Billy G and Joe Walsh use 'em - they're good enough for me.

The funny thing about Crate amps is their name. Back in the late 70's/early 80's' date=' they were built into wooden cabinets that actually looked like shipping crates. A guy I used to jam with back in highschool had one; I can't say whether I remember how it sounded but he had a badass red Ibanez Destroyer that I wanted.

[img']http://www.jedistar.com/images/crate_amp.jpg[/img]

These are the Crate amps I recall. They rocked!

I don't recall hearing anyone bash Crate amps... but given some folks penchant for "I'm right, so you are by-God wrong" attitudes, it doesn't surprise me that some would. If you get the tone you're looking for out of it, who cares what anyone else thinks, anyway??

Who has issues with Crate amps? Name names.....

Back in the day they made some cool gear that looked like industrial crates and sounded good.

And now - their "V" series and Palomino tube amps (from 5watt to 100watt) are fine sounding.

Listen - Billy G and Joe Walsh use 'em - they're good enough for me.

V Series is good, if I wasn't saving for a Jet City, I would've bought the V18-212 I saw today for 245!

Nice sounding amp, great gain, but I love the Jet City. I don't know I might have to stop back.

But yeah, the V Series are great amps.

The new V Series is not the same as the old V series.

These amps used to be made in the USA now they are made in China.

I assure you Billy Gibbons is not playing through a $200 Chinese Crate amp.

I do not think anybody is complaining about the old USA Crate amps or the ones specially handmade for Billy Gibbons and other famous guitarists. I think the Crate amps that get some bad reviews are the ones made in China that are in the $100 - $300 range.

The company that bought Crate also bought Ampeg by the way, these amps are also made overseas now i believe, the old ones are sought after. The same company owns BlackHeart amps.

The Palomino line has always been a higher line in the Crate brand.

OK OK here are the pics....figured I would put the guitars with the amp for the pics for you guys....

Man looks like I need to dust that Ibanez....was the first guitar I got....hasn't been used in a long time and I just moved and unpacked it...yikes!!

Now...these pics are pretty big....click on them to see full detail as I think Gibson.com shrinks them for the forums....

MadeinUSA.jpg

Woohoo!!

Gear.jpg

Yup...3 Epi's and an Ibanez.

Gear3.jpg

My other women....

I had NO idea Crate were being knocked out in China.....

I last played a tubed Crate back in, erm, some time ago.

Tried a Palomino V32 combo recently - swear it was US made, and it sounded great and looked good too.

Foolishly I assumed the V's were the same units as they once were.

I see Loud Technologies does Ampeg, Blackheart and others too. Oh my. All turning grey.

Homogenous, like porridge oats becoming the stodge that is "Ready-Breck". So sad.....

Let's hear about that Ibanez' date=' Shred_Astaire!

I've never seen one of those.[/quote']

That's a GAX75....that was my first guitar...has that auto drop-d tuner latch thingy....never knew the technical term for it....i liked that guitar a lot...had REALLY nice tone for a beginner's guitar...the thing only cost me $300!!

I have no idea what pickups are in it etc....all I know is thats the guitar i taught myself to play on (I use the term taught loosely)...i'm gonna dust her off and give her a whirl tomorrow in fact!

That's a GAX75....that was my first guitar...has that auto drop-d tuner latch thingy....never knew the technical term for it....i liked that guitar a lot...had REALLY nice tone for a beginner's guitar...the thing only cost me $300!!

I have no idea what pickups are in it etc....all I know is thats the guitar i taught myself to play on (I use the term taught loosely)...i'm gonna dust her off and give her a whirl tomorrow in fact!

Very cool.

My first guitar was a Guild Mark IV Classical. Very old, given to me by my mother who never learned how to play the freakin' thing.

I've tried more recently made classical guitars, and none of them have a voice anywhere near as rich as that one.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Love my old Vintage Club. Built like a tank and I've never had a problem

with it besides picking it up. It comes in at around 70 lbs.

The clean side is real Crisp and takes pedals nicely.

Its a Little bass heavy but has its own pretty good sound

on the dirty side.

000_5809.jpg

The newer ones made in asia are nice. The dirty side is actually a little bit

crisper than the older Vintage clubs and the V32's are Sweet with

2x12's and any one of these don't really cost that much.

Very cool.

My first guitar was a Guild Mark IV Classical. Very old' date=' given to me by my mother who never learned how to play the freakin' thing.

I've tried more recently made classical guitars, and none of them have a voice anywhere near as rich as that one.

Sorry to hijack your thread.[/quote']

Not a problem at all sir....is there a "my first guitar" thread somewhere? I'll do a search!

Archived