Gibson Brands Forums

I love me some Muff

Silenced Fred

Make sure to get the Russian Big Muff Pi. They are awesome!!!

A big +1

I've tried all of the modern Muffs and the Russian is definately my favorite.

At NAMM last winter, the EHX guy told me the Russian got discontinued. I haven't seen any evidence of it, but if it's true then it's sad.

To the OP... Do you know what a muff is? Your thread title is very innappropriate.

Look it up on urbandictionary.com or something.

Gotta admit I'm not a fan of the Big Muff. I've owned two, and played others, and they were all too fuzzy and too hairy for me. I couldn't get a sound I liked out of them. Nothing wrong with a big muff mind you, but I don't like the Big Muff.

The Ram's Head was the third incarnation - there were two before with the knobs laid out in a triangle.

The "Triangle" Big Muffs are the holy grail tone-wise and expensive. Rams come a very close second.

Biggest mistake was selling my purple Ram's Head. jessenoah did an equally bad thing selling an old'un.

The new issue are good, the Little Big Muff is really good, the originals are sublime, and taste of anchovy.

bigmuffs.jpg

The Ram's Head was the third incarnation - there were two before with the knobs laid out in a triangle.

The "Triangle" Big Muffs are the holy grail tone-wise and expensive. Rams come a very close second.

Biggest mistake was selling my purple Ram's Head. jessenoah did an equally bad thing selling an old'un.

The new issue are good' date=' the Little Big Muff is really good, the originals are sublime, and taste of anchovy.

[img']http://www.gilmourish.com/wp-content/images/bigmuffs.jpg[/img]

Interesting stuff, Therm!

Man... I'd love to get my hands on of those original ones.

How much do they typically go for in good, working condition?

I guess I'll have to make do with my Russian Muff for now [love]

I have the money but I'm getting an AC30 soon and being 17, Im don't exactly have an expendable income.

My Big Muff is getting pretty beat up. I throw it in the back of my Peavy combo for jams and the sharp corners of the magnet on the speaker are tearing it up. I actually just stick it to the magnet so that it doesn't fall out.

As I'm sure you know, the Muffs are bulletproof.

Oh, I don't know...

I'm not sure if I necessarily want my Muffs particularly Big, or particularly Fuzzy.

...or, actually, I'm not sure I want them bulletproof, either.

Russian Muffs I've got nothing against.

I've heard that they tend to be a little muddy? I don't know how much I like the idea of a muddy Muff...

There's nothing you can do about the anchovy taste...that just happens.

Rust, though? That sounds terribly painful.

I think I've officially crossed the line.

I apologize to everyone who was offended by this post.

Yes' date=' you should be looking for this one, known as the "Ram's Head". It is the original original.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2890016554_9c05105e51.jpg[/img]

Oh, and by the way, this one IS for sale.

What to they go for? I know the originial is the way to go, but if the price is more than my amp, I ain't goin for it....

And yes, I do know what a muff is, pushing the envelope while maintaining semi family friendly

See' date='

we do need an effects section.

We could have tagged this right next to my Fuzz Thread.

Got to love the muff. Classic fuzz tones.

It's interesting to read what everybody says about the different incarnations of muff.[/quote']

:-$

Maybe you should make that suggestion.... #-o

Oh wait, that's right.....

Nevermind.....[crying]

Yes' date=' you should be looking for this one, known as the "Ram's Head". It is the original original.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2890016554_9c05105e51.jpg[/img]

Oh, and by the way, this one IS for sale.

im gonna sound stupid here... but what exactly makes this a "ram's head" version?? how can you tell-- is there like a distinctive feature im missing??

Archived