Gibson Brands Forums

White whale

Tim Plains

Do you have a white whale and if so, what is it?

I was thinking gear related (after all, this is a guitar forum) but I guess anything goes.

What does the expression "white whale" mean?

Its a reference to Moby ****. The main character in Moby **** chased the white whale (Moby ****) for a realllly long time and never caught him.

Over here the term used for something one doesn't use and can't get rid of - like a horrid amp - is "white elephant."

Anybody want an old Univox drum machine?

m

I want an old Univox drum machine!

I don't know what my white whale is. Maybe a nice 335 or something. I've always had a fixation on semihollow or hollowbody guitars. Especially the 335.

Oh I know what else. A nice big ol' Gretsch with a Bigsby. I'm obsessed with the Beatles and basically have a fanboy syndrome of wanting all of the kind of gear they used. I used to want a Rickenbacker guitar... then I played a few. I like the basses but I haven't played one of their guitars that "spoke to me".

Dub...

Unless this bass-playing buddy of mine and I decide to "go for it" this summer, the Univox may well be up for sale. I haven't actually plugged it in since 1976 or so. Hmmmmm. I don't even know what it might be worth. It's not light. Actually I think it's the best fake drummer I've ever come across in terms of ease of making adjustments. Just get the book set up for your playlist and put the dial-settings on the sheet.

But as for chasing something one might not capture?

For me it's technique. I find it difficult to decide I'm "done" upgrading what I do on guitar on a given piece. In fact, I can't.

m

Dub...

But as for chasing something one might not capture?

For me it's technique. I find it difficult to decide I'm "done" upgrading what I do on guitar on a given piece. In fact' date=' I can't.

m

[/quote']

Uhm...Milo? Is that your thumb I see coming over the top of the neck?[biggrin]

For me it's technique. I find it difficult to decide I'm "done" upgrading what I do on guitar on a given piece. In fact' date=' I can't.

[/quote']

I didn't think about that but technique is surely what I chase after most. Sometimes I go through huge productive phases where I learn a bunch of cool new stuff and sometimes I don't learn anything.

I find that the times when I really make progress in my overall skill is when I really try to learn something new that I may have though I couldn't do.

Over here the term used for something one doesn't use and can't get rid of - like a horrid amp - is "white elephant."

Anybody want an old Univox drum machine?

m

Is that the 70's version that looks like somthing Dr.No would use?

The Univox I have... Yeah, I think mine likely was built in the early 70s, maybe late 60s. Ain't looked in years.

It's a brown metal box with a front panel with a buncha dials on it for style, speed, volume... It fills a big gear bag that I still use the side panels for to store guitar stands.

As for the thumb going up over the top of the neck... Yeah, and I caught static for that in my short excursion into a cupla "master classes" on classical guitar technique in the '70s. <chuckle>

One funny one on that is how I've heard that Merle Travis did a lotta the "thumb over" stuff. I do on some types of stuff especially if there are slides on the treble strings but I want a solid bass note on the low "E." I know a lotta fingerpickers do the same. "Classical" technique just doesn't quite make it for me at that point.

Hmmmmm.

m

Dennis...

A lot depends on what notes I'm trying to get. Strumming with Bluegrass, I mostly will use the thumb for root chord "D" or Dm. I'll frequently use both a full barre and the thumb in some songs depending on what I'm doing. <grin>

If I'm doing bass runs like from a "C" chord position up the neck (as at the 5th fret as an "F" in the key of C) I use a full barre. But I'll use a "D" major fingering with the thumb at the 7th for a G... That gives a lotta bass notes to use for an old gray fingerpicker.

Never really used the thumb on bass, but I'm not really a bass player, either, I guess, even though I've played one off and on (mostly off) for a cupla years or so.

Where I really used to use the thumb was in an open E or D tuning, but... ain't done much of that the past 10 years.

m

For me sadly it's Capo's and picks I am always looking for the perfect picks and as such I have thousands of picks of every shape and size none of which I like because I fell in love with the old Gibson tri-picks they quit making in the early or mid eighties I always am on the hunt but there almost impossible to find. Now that's what Gibson needs to re-issue the hell with signature guitars bring back the tri-pick.

Capo's are worse in a way I probably own about a dozen capo's of different kinds that would not be so bad But I don't actually use capo's never have and probably never will there just made so cool and are great to fiddle around with my new favorite is the Pierce click love the suckers but still don't use it for playing even one song [biggrin]

The white whale Gibson Tri-pick

TriPic.jpg

I still have a cupla worn-out "rubber band" capos from the 60s. I've gone to the spring clamp type now, but you're right, none see "quite right." I do use the things for various reasons, although they're generally considered declasse by most rock and jazz pickers I know, as well as some blues pickers. Some blues pickers like 'em.

I still have and use my original rosewood and string classical guitar capo bought for Flamenco. Wouldn't trade it for anything, though.

Picks... I haven't bought one in ages cuz mostly I'm bare-finger fingerpickin'. But I've mostly used some medium nylon jobbies and you're right, none really seem right. Well, except for steel fingerpicks and modern versions of the old clear plastic, sharp ended "dobro" thumbpicks.

m

Yep not right is exactly how to describe it! If yo like Capo's at all though find a Pierce click damn there made nice and the click function removed the five minute install from the old Pierce style.

As for pics at least there cheap but some of the fancy wooden ones and stuff get up in price now but still nothing beats a Tri-Pick

not for lack of trying and experimenting though.

IMG_2173.jpg

Archived