Gibson Brands Forums

The signs of ownership may be subtle

Cruznolfart

Something as small as an inappropriate emotional response or sleeplessness. I'm not talking about property ownership. I'm talking about addiction.

This month, in humble celebration of 20 years clean and sober, I decided to take myself off the pain pills I've been on since last February. I started weaning myself a few weeks ago, hoping the pains wouldn't reappear quite so dramatically. As it turns out, recurring pain hasn't been much of a problem. Being somewhat hooked on the damn Tramadol HAS. So, after having recognized what I considered signs of withdrawal on the occasions when I would skip a dose, I decided I wasn't gonna be owned again. This is the 5th day of no script and I'm hoping to get a first full night's sleep. Even my appetite is coming back on line. Whew!

When I looked this stuff up on the Health sites one of the first warnings was that it should not be used by those with addiction history. Now...I TOLD my doctor I'd been sober for 20 years and didn't want something that had a high addiction potential. WTF?

I resolved, long ago, to never be owned again. I wish that same resolve on anyone...ANYONE who finds his or herself in the prison of addiction.

Well, I for am glad for you Cruzn'.

While I've never been addicted to anything, I've known many people who were.

My best friend up and quit drinking 16 years ago. Just went cold turkey.

He did the same thing when it was time to give up a very nasty cocaine habit. He just quit and never went back.

Some people have a great ability to realize when they're bound by the chains of addiction.

I'm glad for you.

Good job.

I don't know how you could function on Tramadol. I had some a while back for an ankle op and every time I took some I'd be asleep within 10 minutes.

Oddly, it used to have that effect on me. Within a few weeks of starting the regimen, however, I was functioning "normally". Loss of appetite was one of the first signs for me that it was more than "just" a pain-killer. Still not sleeping a full night, though...obviously. :-k

It took about 2 weeks to get over the withdrawal symptoms of the Hydrocodone I used to be on. I felt almost like I had the flu for 2 weeks. Try an otc sleeping aid. I recommend one with doxylamine succinate as the active ingredient. Wall-Mart makes one under their own brand (Equate). It's about half the price as Unisom. Diphenhydramine didn't work for me.

It took about 2 weeks to get over the withdrawal symptoms of the Hydrocodone I used to be on. I felt almost like I had the flu for 2 weeks. Try an otc sleeping aid. I recommend one with doxylamine succinate as the active ingredient. Wall-Mart makes one under their own brand (Equate). It's about half the price as Unisom. Diphenhydramine didn't work for me.

Thanks for the suggestion DWP, I've been using Advil PM, Diphenhydramine citrate 38 mg, for awhile with mixed results. On a good night it'll let me get to sleep but after a couple hours I start waking up. Sometimes it seems to have no effect at all. I'll look for the Equate or its ilk next trip to Wally World or nearest pharmacy.

I wish you the Best of Luck' date=' Cruz, and I'm sure you'll get through it; You certainly seem to have the requisite character!

(I mean that in a nice way....:- )

[/quote']

Thanks, Pip, I took it in a nice way. :-k I appreciate that. :D

Warning: I am in no way implying that my experience was or is even close to whatever substance you were addicted to 20 years ago...

That said, I can relate to not wanting to be owned. For about 15 years I was a heavy smoker...2 packs a day. loved smoking. But then you get to the point where all you think about is how to get the next smoke in. I would panic when flying. I would miss flights because I would run outside to get a smoke and then have to make my way through security again. I would have to take a break from work every hour. It got to the point where smoking dictated how I led my life. So I quit.

Good luck Cruz. I can relate to not wanting to be owned by a substance.

Thanks, Blue. Truth is addiction is addiction. Tobacco or juice, smack or crank. Collateral damages can be unique to the substance but the general damages are the same. It owns yer arse. Glad you could kick. Tobacco was the WORST thing for me to get off of. Absolutely THE most difficult!

As a side note...I am still a chronic masturbator. But I've managed to control that for the most part. That's the last addiction I have to beat before I am completely clean :-

Just kidding...it's not chronic. :D

Crap! That's an addiction, too? :-k

Dennis, I really admire your strength and dedication to your sobriety.

A couple of years back I fell very ill and had several surgeries which required a lot of pain medication to get through. I didn't realize I developed an addiction till it came time to come off the meds and the withdrawals kicked in. This is an experience I do not care to go through again.

Thanks, AXE®, and props to you on your anniversary. We went to the same school in different places. BTW, as I said before, between all ths crap I got unhooked from, tobacco was the hardest, longest battle. Not the sickest but the longest, most challenging. Good luck.

Archived