Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead

dem00n

Honestly' date=' I liked him for about 10 minutes. I kinda got bored after that. I can't listen to him over and over again. I can do 1 song and then I need a break for a few days. [b'] Too gimmicky for me.[/b]

What songs were you listening to? Yes his getup is a gimmick, but I fail to see how his music is gimmicky. What is gimmicky about the tracks I've listed above?

I'm not a fan of the BH but he can play and I understand why some like him but I also understand why some say his music is gimmicky ~ not just his looks etc...

I sort of ran into the same thing when I was growing up. In High school while all my guitar buddies were totally sold out on groups like The Michael Shanker Group, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and what are considered classic rock today I was into those guys/groups, but I was more into the group Return to Forever and Al DiMeola.

A lot of people just thought his speed and flash was a gimmicky type of thing because his compositions didn't fit into the main stream of music. In fact Fusion Jazz was just taking off due to Al and RTF type groups.

Since I know DiMeola's basic style and heard many of his compositions and understand that he plays modally I can follow and understand his music. I don't get that with the BH but that's ok. You guys/gals who like him just enjoy listening to what you like.

I do have to admit it is fun watching the BH fans get all riled up over it... [confused]

What songs were you listening to? Yes his getup is a gimmick' date=' but I fail to see how his music is gimmicky. What is gimmicky about the tracks I've listed above?[/quote']

Dude, it was a while ago. And I don't remember. I like the Charlie and the Chocolate factory cover he did. I saw a few vids that were done in a bedroom and some other live stuff. The more I listened I was like "yeah, I get why people like him but I can't listen to it all the time."

You need to relax, guy. It's totally cool if he's YOUR thing. I said he was too gimmicky for me. To each his own. [confused]

Dude' date=' it was a while ago. And I don't remember. I like the Charlie and the Chocolate factory cover he did. I saw a few vids that were done in a bedroom and some other live stuff. The more I listened I was like "yeah, I get why people like him but I can't listen to it all the time."

You need to relax, guy. It's totally cool if he's YOUR thing. I said he was too gimmicky for me. To each his own. [confused

It's cool man. Come to think of it, he does have gimmicky songs/albums, but they're few and far between. I totally see your point now.

It's cool man. Come to think of it' date=' he [i']does[/i] have gimmicky songs/albums, but they're few and far between. I totally see your point now.

Depends on one's point of view. Some might say gimmicky, some might say he has a theme going on. Just an opinion. It works cuz he has a loyal audience. I'll give him this, he's not cookie cutter crap like Nickelback or Fall out boy.

cookie cutter crap like Nickelback

Amen brother!!!

Can I get a "Hell Yeah!" from ya?

I kinda liked their first album.

Breathe and Leader Of Men....

They are capable of some really good songs but they overdo EVERYTHING x 10!!!

Strip all the bullsh!t and studio effects away, and they would have some great songs.

Their albums sound more like movie soundtracks or beer commercials...

Oh, I know he can play. And I know you weren't trying to take anything away from any of the other guys.

I guess that even though he can play his instrument, I feel like that's all he really does. I don't know if I'm in the right to judge his skills as a composer, but I know for sure that the majority of the ones I've heard have failed to keep me interested. There are very few songs of his that I've managed to listen to completely--and the way I see it, I shouldn't have to struggle and to wait around in order to distill enjoyment from something. That's not to say that I'm all full-on into pop music, either. I don't like being beaten over the head with overproduced bombast any more than I like being bored to death with lethargic, unfocused guitar masturbation. To me it feels like background music--poorly defined and emotionally neutral. I feel the same way about U2. I have a teacher who feels the same way about Vivaldi, if you can believe that.

There. I've very frankly and plainly stated my opinions about Buckethead. I'm not flaming, I'm not trolling, and I'm not telling you to stop listening to him. If you get it, and you love it, then more power to you--and of course I'm not going to seek his music out any more than I already have, but if there's something of his you think I ought to listen to, please feel free to let me know about it.

And Neo, if you want clips of Rory, all you have to do is just ask :- .

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

You're under the wrong impression Izzy. Seeing as you haven't heard his catalogue though I'll let it slide :)

imho it's his compositional ability that sets him apart from the rest. Anyone can shred with a lot of practice' date=' composing a great tune is a different story [i']entirely[/i].

I wasn't hating on the buckethead...I guess since I said "lack of artistic value..." it might have seemed that way.

I shouldn't have said lack of artistic value. He is very artistic.

I think the Spice Girls are talented and have reediming qualities. Vicky can sing really deep and Baby has a pretty voice. Pop songs aren't easy to craft, let alone a TON of catchy ones and then to be totally on key every show...they were perfection as live singing was concerned and WAY fun. I just can't put them in the same box as Jeff Beck, call me crazy.

Buckethead just doesn't have soul, in my opinion. Some say the same of Vai or Satriani.

So yeah, well crafted songs and great fingering...but I can't see him mingling with Ani DiFranco.

Some say the same of Vai or Satriani.

Count me in.

Amazing players, but to me it's like watching gymnastics.

I can't do it, few people can, and I appreciate the effort.

But after 15 minutes it starts to make me tired just watching.

Or listening.

Archived