Gibson Brands Forums

My tele finally showed up

jannusguy

Honest Meat & Potato guitar.

No pretense whatsoever.

Overlooked by millions, and it's their loss.

I finally bought one a few years ago after telling myself "I got a Strat, why do I need a Tele?"

Boy, was I wrong!!!

Like a good acoustic, there are subtle things about it you'll notice over time that are lost on many people.

Enjoy it!

Nice.

Very nice.

I'm loving mine. Discovering neat things about it too.

I had a switch cap break already.

Fender's sending me a couple of replacements.

Also, my bridge pickup has staggered poles. Interesting, because my other Telecaster, the Special Run 60th Anniversary Model, has '51 Nocaster pickups. They sound completely different.

The American Vintage Telecaster is more Jingley-Jangley.

You're going to enjoy it. I've been on mine all day long.

Nice.

Very nice.

I'm loving mine. Discovering neat things about it too.

I had a switch cap break already.

Fender's sending me a couple of replacements.

Also' date=' my bridge pickup has staggered poles. Interesting, because my other Telecaster, the Special Run 60th Anniversary Model, has '51 Nocaster pickups. They sound completely different.

The American Vintage Telecaster is more Jingley-Jangley.

You're going to enjoy it. I've been on mine all day long.[/quote']

i'm looking forward to seeing pics of yours. i came very close to buying the very same guitar. i'm having issues with the bridge pup on mine right out of the box. keep in mind it's used and i got it off of the gear page. i can't imagine it's a very serious issue but i hope i'm not about to get my first lesson in the pitfalls of buying long distance with no warranty. especially after having had so much success with all my acoustic purchases. we'll see.

Looks nice! Is it MIA?

Have fun with it

this was from a limited run (100 units) done in 2004 for the NAMM show. so, i'm gonna assume yes although there's nothing on, or with the guitar, that actually says MIA. everything i have read about these suggests that they are though.

Stealing no thunder here, just sharing the love....

[confused]

I had decided I was gonna go ahead and get an American Tele when the right deal came along.

I stopped by my dealer one day to see what was new and get some strap locks.

Looking around the store I saw this new Tele that had just arrived;

3377788576_580fa4c991.jpg

3377788582_6ac3c16008.jpg

OMG!!!

[woot]:-s[woot]

Ash body, instead of the usual Alder, and the grain was cool as hell!

So I plugged it in and the decision was made.

The deal was done, $1,000 changed hands and I was out the door in less than 5 minutes.

So fast, I forgot the strap locks.

True story.

Honest Meat & Potato guitar.

No pretense whatsoever.

Overlooked by millions' date=' and it's their loss.

I finally bought one a few years ago after telling myself "I got a Strat, why do I need a Tele?"

Boy, was I wrong!!!

Like a good acoustic, there are subtle things about it you'll notice over time that are lost on many people.

Enjoy it![/quote']

i hope i'm that astute. i agree that it's beauty is in it's simplicity. i hope by working out on this, it will help me improve my playing on my acoustics as well. who am i kidding. i just think it's cool as all get out. the fun will continue as i search for the right amp.

The ONLY problems I had with mine were minor.

One was a little embarrassing.

The tone pot was kinda sticking, there was a stiff spot when it was turned to ten.

Called the store, the told me that's the Delta Tone mod.

Huh? [confused]:-s

Yeah, I guess a common mod years ago was to cut the tone pot out of the loop and use only the volume pot.

Never heard the whole story...

Anyhow, there is a detent at ten to keep the pot there, and it bypasses the pot completely.

Turn it down slightly and it comes back in to function normally.

The other problem, when I changed the strings the first time, some of the ferrules in the back of the body

were loose enough to fall out. I called the dealer and they said that was actually fairly common.

Bring it in and they would glue them in for me.

Ah, what the hell.

I pulled them out, cleaned the holes, and put a small smear of RTV/silicone on each one.

If I ever need to remove them, all I gotta do is pull and twist a little - like they're supposed to be.

The ONLY problems I had with mine were minor.

One was a little embarrassing.

The tone pot was kinda sticking' date=' there was a stiff spot when it was turned to ten.

Called the store, the told me that's the [b']Delta Tone[/b] mod.

Huh? [confused]:-s

Yeah, I guess a common mod years ago was to cut the tone pot out of the loop and use only the volume pot.

Never heard the whole story...

Anyhow, there is a detent at ten to keep the pot there, and it bypasses the pot completely.

Turn it down slightly and it comes back in to function normally.

The other problem, when I changed the strings the first time, some of the ferrules in the back of the body

were loose enough to fall out. I called the dealer and they said that was actually fairly common.

Bring it in and they would glue them in for me.

Ah, what the hell.

I pulled them out, cleaned the holes, and put a small smear of RTV/silicone on each one.

If I ever need to remove them, all I gotta do is pull and twist a little - like they're supposed to be.

mine has the delta tone mod also. i thought that might have something to do with the bridge pup issue i mentioned. i'm just not hearing the pup at all regardless where the controls and switch are set. sumpin' ain't right.

replaced the switch a while back.

looks like it might need it again.

are these things that fragile?

Well' date=' yes and no.

I've never had one quit on me in an American Fender.

But like Epiphone, the Squier imported stuff from the Pacific Rim is quite prone to failure.

The 5-way selector in a Strat seems less robust to me than the Tele 3-way, but they both

have always worked like a charm for me.

That being said, when I built these two Strats from new Fender and Ebay parts, I decided

to use Gibson pots and switches on the advice of my dealer.

He's been repairing and building guitars for 25 years, so I listened to him.

A close look will reveal selector switches from a Gibson SG.

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/3375030724_0571f591bf.jpg[/img]

3375030716_7916545698.jpg

Cool thing about Fenders.

Mix and match all kinds of parts to create the Frankenstein of your dreams.

If it isn't what you wanted, take it apart and start over.

[biggrin]

Archived