Gibson Brands Forums

Brake fluid on the fretboard

Blackie

So I am doing a little painting and sometimes I am kind of lazy about taping off stuff on a guitar

cause I can wipe off the overspray with some thinner.....well no thinner and time is short...I used some

brake fluid. Thought that was better than gasoline.

:D [blink] Wharever's closest at hand huh. That'll do me...Brake Fluid.[lol]

Best cheap n' nasty stripper on meth - try brake fluid.:-

Say goodbye to that finish mate' date='wherever you applied it.[thumbup

Eyow!

Refrigerator White SG' date=' too cool. [cool']

Is Biscuit !...........say I won't .........ha ha....I been destroying n remployin guitars 3 score n a bit

course I will admit I switched sides as exhibit A will show

ericron79vvxx.jpg

The Design Laborotory...........

1aaab1116.jpg

This reminds me of the time my mom accidentally sprayed her armpits with hair spray instead of deodorant. I hope it doesn't damage the fretboard?

Not unlike being hung-over in the morning and, intending to brush one's teeth, reached for the red and white tube of Crest but picked up the red and white tube of Brylcreem, instead.

Man, that stuff makes your teeth REALLY slick!

Bump for two reasons.

1. What Happened with the Brake Fluid?

2. I want to paint this V Machine Grey. I want it to look like a piece of equipment you might find on the back of a Utility Truck working on Gas Lines. What shade and brand would you suggest, Blackie?

2856287550100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Neck was fine but in a moment experimental stupidity I actually taped off the front of the neck and sprayed a 3/64th's faux binding

onto the fret board and created a bound look..........of course that whould not hold up and I removed it.

The epoxy refrigerator paint came out OK and I think the color hides a lot of defects.

It is real important to have the guitar completley smooth and free of all dust........use a tack cloth.

There are a lot of coices of paint.......for what you are after might try a satin or flat gray color.

Archived