Gibson Brands Forums

Holy sheep sh*t - is this normal?

Gilliangirl

I'm playing the guitar and all of a sudden I notice the back of the neck at the 7th fret has some of the finish missing. I freak out quietly. I start looking up and down the back of the neck and there's a few other spots where the finish has bubbled/flaked off. When I scratch at it lightly, it keeps flaking off. I don't play enough to have the back of the neck start showing wear..... or do I? Should a 2004 guitar start showing wear on the back of the neck? Maybe it's from the capo (Shubb)? I do have some wear on my treble string frets.

Should a 2004 guitar start showing wear on the back of the neck?

No.

And a Shubb capo should not be causing it, although you should look at the capo to see if it is damaged or has some rough area that touches the guitar.

My first thought is that the finish on the neck is faulty -- either it was a bad batch or it was incorrectly applied, dried under improper conditions, or some bad environmental condition affected it. Another possibility is that you have unintentionally roughed it up. Do you wear a ring that might be scraping it? Use hand lotions that might have softened it? Put it on a stand that somehow scrapes or softens the finish? Any contact with vinyl? Be sure to look over the whole guitar to be sure it is limited to the neck.

The good news--if it's faulty finish maybe you can get warranty coverage if you bought the guitar new. The other good news is that it probably won't cost much to get it smoothed and sprayed, if you are stuck with the bill. I had this done on one of my guitars and it was no big deal. And unlike refinishing the body, refinish or overspray on the neck won't change the tone.

I'm sure others will have ideas, but I hope this helps. Sorry to hear about it, though. These kinds of discoveries are never very pleasant at the time.

Nope, not normal, unless you've misused the guitar, subjected it to some kind of abnormal use.

You know about Deet, Karen, so I'm sure you wouldn't use other finish-affecting stuff.

It seems a little peculiar that it would be fine for, what? -- 4 or so years that you've had Magic, and that it would now exhibit finish weirdness.

Fred

Well, there's 3 places on the back: one where my thumb sits when I do a Bm or an F#, one near the low E string by the 7th fret, and one down the center around the 5th fret. The finish in those spots is really rough. I'm now wondering if it's the result of that da** bug spray from a few summers ago. Maybe it's still working its way into the finish? This poor old guitar (it's Magic). Rob I don't know if the camera could pick up the spots but I'll try. Under really bright light it's obvious that it's going to get worse because the scratches are a small part of a bigger rougher spot.

Tom, I bought the guitar new but I don't think we have warranties up here? Maybe Fred would know? The thing is I'll never part with this guitar so it might just end up looking like Trigger sooner rather than later. :-(

And another thing: "Holy sheep sh*t"??

What are you -- fifty? [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Fred

Yup' date=' fifty-one [biggrin

Yeah, I know about DEET and am extra cautious about anything that gets near the guitar now. I'll take it in to L&McQ and see what they think about it.

Btw Fred, that other shop in Edmonton I was thinking of was Mhyres, which you've already discovered.

All I can contribute here is that there comes a time in the life of every guitar where it simply is no longer new and begins to show its age as well as battle scars from being an instrument that is played and not just stored in a glass case. When that can happen is anyone's guess and depends on different factors. Sometimes it happens later, sometimes sooner. I've certainly experienced the aging thing with my instruments...you actually kind of grow to embrace that the instrument is no longer new anymore. Remember even on this forum, a poster was asking how long will it take for the gloss on his guitar's neck to be gone, because it didn't want it there. I said, I like the glossy neck and keep mine well polished to keep it there (even when it no longer really is...which is the case on some of my instruments.) In the case of your guitar, the rubber on a capo could have contributed...then, again...all it takes is one spot to start flaking and that one spot can get bigger and bigger, of course. Not too sure what can be done about it although I suppose you could try contacting Gibson to see if what you're describing is covered under warrantee...as well as pursue having the neck refinished by someone who knows what they are doing, if it really becomes an issue.

I have spots on some of my guitars where the original gloss finish on the neck is gone. Was there one day...and then poof gone. I polish it...its back a little, but not the same, then gone again. And, I've seen vintage guitars where its all gone. It could just be part of the guitar's aging and you noticing it happening. If its by the pick box in your case, by all means double check there is nothing there that is scratching the guitar. Or, anything from your strap if its laying under there in the case. Also, watch out for rubber on guitar stands removing a finish...but those don't usually touch around the 7th fret.

Sorry to hear about Magic's aging. But...trust me...vintage guitars are really cool and it might just be that Magic is on the way to joining those ranks.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Red, I have a number of guitar stands (the orange rubber ones) but I made custom covers for all of them so that the guitars never touch the rubber. I'm wondering about the rubber on the capo? Can't remember the last time I capoed at the 7th fret tho'?!

Sorry to hear about Magic's aging. But...trust me...vintage guitars are really cool and it might just be that Magic is on the way to joining those ranks.

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [crying] It makes me sad to think this guitar is aging because it was such a special event when I got it and it doesn't feel like it's that long ago. It's definitely going to get worse because when I rubbed it with my finger it flaked some more. I'm still thinking a 6 year old guitar shouldn't do that under normal circumstances. It's probably that bug spray. We should have a sticky on the forum about that da** bug spray. [crying]

Well' date=' there's 3 places on the back: one where my thumb sits when I do a Bm or an F#, one near the low E string by the 7th fret, and one down the center around the 5th fret. The finish in those spots is really rough. I'm now wondering if it's the result of that da** bug spray from a few summers ago. Maybe it's still working its way into the finish? This poor old guitar (it's Magic). Rob I don't know if the camera could pick up the spots but I'll try. Under really bright light it's obvious that it's going to get worse because the scratches are a small part of a bigger rougher spot.

Tom, I bought the guitar new but I don't think we have warranties up here? Maybe Fred would know? The thing is I'll never part with this guitar so it might just end up looking like Trigger sooner rather than later. :-([/quote']

Karen,

As Jeff the Jazzman says, there comes a time when guitars show their age...... if it is a concern to you, I'm sure you can get the neck refinished/resprayed locally.

L&M covers Gibsons bought new through the Canadian Gibson distributor, which is Yorkville Music. But I suspect that their warranty may only extend to something like 1, 2 or 5 years -- you'll have to see what L&M says.

Fred

If you can't remember the last time you capo'd on the 7th fret, then it really probably isn't from the capo. That would be more if you heavily capo there or leave your capo sitting there for extended periods. BTW, I'd be really careful about refinishing the neck if you eventually consider that. It will decrease the value of the guitar based on today's vintage guitar market. Even, though it won't impact the tone. The guitar will no longer be original...a major factor in the vintage guitar market. The only time repairs are not an automatic decrease in the value of a vintage guitar is when they are absolutely necessary to keep the guitar playable. A worn neck finish doesn't make a guitar unplayable.

It could be a humidity thang or an interaction of the finish chemicals with your hand...or heat or cold or weather changes...all kinds of things.

Again...part of a guitar aging. Just think how Willie Nelson felt when that hole in his guitar started to appear.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I have mixed feelings about weighing in on this one. But here goes.

It's aging. You're using it. It's not a hothouse flower. You will not wear this guitar out, ever. But it's not new, you've had it since Day One and have played it and played it and....

You should just keep playing it.

If you can't remember the last time you capo'd on the 7th fret' date=' then it really probably isn't from the capo. That would be more if you heavily capo there or leave your capo sitting there for extended periods. BTW, I'd be really careful about refinishing the neck if you eventually consider that. It will decrease the value of the guitar based on today's vintage guitar market. Even, though it won't impact the tone. The guitar will no longer be original...a major factor in the vintage guitar market. The only time repairs are not an automatic decrease in the value of a vintage guitar is when they are absolutely necessary to keep the guitar playable. A worn neck finish doesn't make a guitar unplayable.

It could be a humidity thang or an interaction of the finish chemicals with your hand...or heat or cold or weather changes...all kinds of things.

Again...part of a guitar aging. Just think how Willie Nelson felt when that hole in his guitar started to appear.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

[/quote']

Jeff, I do tend to leave the capo on for a long time if I'm learning a new song, which I may play over and over again over a period of a few hours, but I haven't played anything at the 7th fret since I played Gil Welch's Acony Bell which was a long long time ago. Poor Willie, that must have been devastating when that hole showed up! [biggrin] I don't know if I should get the neck refinished but will it be hard to slide up and down the neck when it's worn? I'm just now getting better at switching my barre chords up and down the neck at a decent speed so the integrity of the neck is pretty important to me at this point.

Tried to get a good shot but couldn't. This is the best I could get. Not sure how well you can see the bubbling? Notice where the color looks lighter?

IMG_1010.jpg

Just for the record, in polite society we say "Holy Sheep Dip". [biggrin]

Is the finish lifting anywhere else?

Just thinking of the possible culprits, besides age, I don't know how old 6 years is in guitar years but I have guitars built in the 90's that show no wear like you describe. Do you wear rings that may be scratching the surface?

Jaxson, I do wear rings but only on my right hand.

I have this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach..... you know that feeling you get when you realize your own mortality [biggrin]

Oh yes, and from here on in it will be holy sheep dip, or holy deep ship.

I wouldn't think the integrity of the neck would be affected. On mine I just found the rough spots distracting--the feel of them, not the looks. The point about refinishing the neck affecting future value is true, but a 2004 guitar has a long way to go before it will be in the vintage market, and your posts indicate you really like the guitar, so your experience with it for the next umpteen years may be most important. Once you're over the immediate shock of finding the spots, you may be better able to tell if they are going to bother you or if they just become part of Magic's lore. Either way, you still have a terrific guitar, love the sound, and make your own unique music with it.

"Holy Sheep Dip."

Yup, I think that every time I see my nekked frame in the shower door/mirror. And I'm p'rt near 50 too. I prefer to say I'm 'pullin' forty rather than pushin' 50. Pretty soon I'll not be able to honestly say that neither. >sigh< [biggrin]

Who's the numbskull that put that mirror THERE!?!?!?! Oh, yeah.. me. [biggrin]

Doly Heep Sip!

6string Tom makes a good point, my old 47 L-4 looks like it has been dragged thru a gutter but it plays wonderfully,

I know it's your baby and you want it to be pristine, but it will likely outlast everyone of us. But looking at the picture you posted I think you should have a repair shop check it out.

Karen-

I can tell you for sure it will not have any affect on guitar's playability at all. You've heard my playing from my YouTube videos so you know I go up and down the neck quite a lot and have guitars that have necks similarly worn as yours as well as much much much worse worn than yours...in terms of their finish. No impact on playing at all. The neck wear that appears in the photo appears to be pretty normal wear from aging or finish interaction with the player. If you purchase some good polish it will temporarily shine it up a bit and make it less noticeable under normal lighting...although you'll have to regularly keep it polished each month or so to keep it less noticeable. I will say that on one of my Gibson necks that looks similar to yours in terms of wear, it has stayed the same way it had been worn for about 18 years after that first wear first appeared out of the blue...and only recently has the neck started to seem duller in other spots.

Again, these things happen with aging, wear, and interaction. If ever you get to go to a vintage guitar show...you'll see its real common place on instruments, although I do have to admit it seems to have happened a bit early on your guitar...but, it could be a result of a number of environmental or human interaction finish reactions.

Lets see how others weigh in on the subject...although KSDaddy has already similarly weighed in on the subject of it aging and he sees an lot of instruments and knows his stuff quite well.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I had something very similar happen with my 1991 J-30. I purchased the guitar new and after just a few years, I had a few problem spots appear on the neck located on the side near the fretboard that resulted in the finish chipping away. I took the guitar to a local luthier and he was able to repair/refinish the problem areas. I don't recall the costs involved, but I'm sure it wasn't very much (or else I probably would remember). By the way, I don't even think that I owned a capo back then. I've never experienced this problem with any of my other guitars over the years. I just chalked it up to a defective finish or perhaps improper preparation before applying the finish. At any rate, I just sold that guitar a few years ago and the repaired areas on neck were holding up fine.

I've owned a lot of guitars over the years and that J-30 was the only that had a problem like this with. Once I had it repaired, I never really gave it much thought. I just kept playing/enjoying the guitar.

Good luck with your guitar.

All the best,

Guth

Yup' date=' fifty-one [biggrin']

Yeah, I know about DEET and am extra cautious about anything that gets near the guitar now. I'll take it in to L&McQ and see what they think about it.

Btw Fred, that other shop in Edmonton I was thinking of was Mhyres, which you've already discovered.

And she does not look a day over 31 ! Trust me! :-s

I'm playing the guitar and all of a sudden I notice the back of the neck at the 7th fret has some of the finish missing. I freak out quietly. I start looking up and down the back of the neck and there's a few other spots where the finish has bubbled/flaked off. When I scratch at it lightly' date=' it keeps flaking off. I don't play enough to have the back of the neck start showing wear..... or do I? Should a 2004 guitar start showing wear on the back of the neck? Maybe it's from the capo (Shubb)? I do have some wear on my treble string frets.[/quote']

Dony worry Karen ! You should see the back of the neck on my 56 J 45 ! Its still awsome! Play on girl !! :-s

Karen, are any of your other guitars showing the same problem? If so, I would think maybe a humidity problem being dry winter season. If it's just the one guitar, it's just aging. I think it's a good sign of a guitar that's being played regularly! Nothings hurt, it's just showing it's wear and tear! Keep on pickin'!!!

Archived