Gibson Brands Forums

Holy sheep sh*t - is this normal?

Gilliangirl

Now I am thinking I must not be playing mine hard enough. My Songwriter is only a couple of years old so I'll keep playing and watching. I didn't know anything about bug sprays but now that you mention it, I know it will eat paint off of metal.

YOu people all started talking about yourselves and mirrors outside the shower door. Reminded me if the song, "I just don't look good naked anymore".

Reminded me if the song' date=' "I just don't look good naked anymore".[/quote']

In my case, the use of the word anymore implies at some point I did look good naked.

When I bought my house in '83 I used the family's old 1960 floor model TV. The Tele was in it's case standing beside the TV. One day I noticed the finish on the back of the body had a mottled look, almost like the finish was melting and getting the imprint from the case's interior fabric. I moved it and it seemed to go away (one of life's mysteries). One day I was putting it back in the case and it slipped out of my hand, dropping on one of the case's latches. DING! In 1990 I left it out in my truck and it was 30 below that night. Instant finish crazing, no waiting 40 years! A few years back it was sitting in a stand and one of my daughter's friends slid a metal folding chair back away from the computer and chipped an eraser sized chunk out right by the output jack.

Dip happens I guess.

Hi Karen....sorry to hear about the pre-mature aging of your Guitar.....I would also be upset. Here is a thing to consider....one time I played my guitar without my shirt, and the sweat mixed with the DEODERANT, actually removed some finish on the guitar. Now, I know that is not the case with you, but I am wondering if you use any oils or hand creams that can be the culprit? Do you wash your hands with those bottled disenfectants they use in hospitals, or they sell for travel? That kind of thing? If you bought it new, this seems like it could be covered by warranty. You are not that far from Bozeman are you? And lastly, my friend who is a luthier, says that repairs can be made using a French polishing system, so fear not, the repairs are not that expensive, if it has to be done on your dime. Good luck with your challenge......

As an afterthought, My L-20 has a three piece neck, two sides of mahogany, and a center "strip" of what looks like Ebony. Over the years, the two different woods shrunk at different rates, so there is finish cracking on the back of my neck, which bums me a bit, but I don't really notice it while playing, and I guess adds to the mojo.....but still, finish problems like yours and mine should not really happen with seasoned wood and good finishes.....

It seems a bit too new for the finish to be wearing like this. You could try contacting Gibson if it really bothering you. Also as suggested a luthier can put this right. I have guitars that are over 40 years old and have not got any finish wear at all on the back of the necks, and they've had a LOT of playing. You have to wonder if there is a problem with the finish. In fact I always make sure my hands are clean before I play my guitars. I didn't start doing this because I was worried about the finish, but I just hate greasy guitar necks to play. So if I've been doing anything like eating food or any kind of task involving chemicals etc I always wash my hands before I play. Maybe that is why I've never had any finish problems on my guitar necks? The main thing is that it is NOT going to affect the sound of your guitar and as long as it is not uncomfortable to play it will add some character to the appearance of your guitar. I've seen and played lots of guitars where the finish is totally gone from the back of the neck (especially old Fenders) and they still play and sound great and have lots of mojo. I don't mind seeing honest playing wear at all. I don't understand why people make or buy guitars that have been artificially aged though . . . . I just don't get that at all!

t's aging. You're using it. It's not a hothouse flower. You will not wear this guitar out' date=' ever. But it's not new, you've had it since Day One and have played it and played it and....

You should just keep playing it.[/quote']

+1

I respect people who buy expensive, quality instruments and actually use them.

Do you wash your hands with those bottled disenfectants they use in hospitals, or they sell for travel?

I was wondering the same thing. I use that stuff sometimes. It contains alcohol, which will definitely eat the finish.

I always let it evaporate before I play, so far no problems...but it may leave a harmful residue...[smile]

Archived