Gibson Brands Forums

Thanks to all. Control cavity pics

Andre S

Its done. Its finally off the workspace and back to playing...

Not only did I fix my Gibson myself. I did the mod I wanted to and it works.

I realized some problems from previous attempts, Instead of desoldering some wires, I just snipped them short, I used vintage braided wire from rs to do the toggle ground, now I used some old ground wire from a piece of wire we had.

Only issues now are: the pots are a tad too high.

the knobs sit waay to high on the guitar.

the bridge pup cuts out a bit when the pup wobbles, things need to be tightened.

Thanks Stiffhand, deepblue and djroge and flight 959, and others I forgot, for pics and wiring help etc.

Next step to install fishman is drilling for mini toggle, but I'll leave that for a while...

The bridge tone pot is missing till a powerchip comes so there is a hole there, oh well..

Before you drill into your LP you may want to investigate the possibilities of other options such as

1. using the a push/pull pot on one of the tone controls

2. buying one of those switching pick-up rings from Seymour - not sure if it would work but if it does that would be pretty cool

I say this because I drilled in my LP when I was about 15 and once its done, you cannot go back. It looses a lot of resale value if that is important to you. It never was for me, but everyone is different.

just some thoughts to ponder.

Oh and I'm glad your up and running........... errr playing.

you should be able to adjust the height pretty easy. The pots that RS send should have some with a washer and nut that goes on either side of the top. Just tighten the inside nut a little until you get it. It took me about three or four tries until I got the right height.

Here's the one problem with putting the spacers on the underside of the pots...hehe, I forgot to put them in before...and those ground wires that I used, is pretty stiff, two connections popped free when assembling, I soldered pots and cap outside and then put it in, I didn't expect it to work.

I dunno about the toggle, the whole point of changing from 2 V and 2T to 2V and master T, was that so I have a pot space available for the Fishman Powerchip, I prefer drilling to diving back into the mass of soldering.

But, I don't care about that now, I just want to relax and makeup for the week without my Gibby.

But here's a thing I noticed about RS pots.

Before my amp volume would have been like 2, and I could get volume with V pots below 5.

Now, I don't

I get volume below 5 on pots if the amp Volume is 4!

WTH?

But the tone pot and cap, really make it clearer, it sounds pretty much the same with it off or on lower settings.

You got the vintage kit with superpots, right? I think that is normal. You just have to get used to them. Set your guitar volume at 5 and then turn up your amp volume until you are at the volume level you like. Then you can use the guitar volume more effectively from there.

You got the vintage kit with superpots' date=' right? I think that is normal. You just have to get used to them. Set your guitar volume at 5 and then turn up your amp volume until you are at the volume level you like. Then you can use the guitar volume more effectively from there. [/quote']

No kit, I ordered parts seperately,

But yea super pots, I don't know if its in my mind but the guitar sounds even sweeter through the Fender Super Champ!!

One problem, kinda the mini toggle I got for the fishman is too short to fit through the cap...sigh.

Hey 1319.... How about some pics?

In the Slash the wire runs directly down from the bridge under the High E string.... In the earlier model (on Gibson website) the wire ran foward of the bridge and went through a small hole in the bridge pickup...You can just make it out on the website...

Regards

Hey 1319.... How about some pics?

In the Slash the wire runs directly down from the bridge under the High E string.... In the earlier model (on Gibson website) the wire ran foward of the bridge and went through a small hole in the bridge pickup...You can just make it out on the website...

Regards

will do flight. my wiring isn't so neat but its ok...

the bridge cut out again, one wire came loose with the pressure from the cavity cover.

That's how I was planning to run my wire, thanks for confirming.

Do you know what brand of mini toggle they used or how they mounted it? because the shaft of the one I got is soo short to pass through the top.

Expect pics later.

here they are, my mumbo jumbo of wires...sigh....never as neat as Gibsons....

first off the whole thing

DSCN2677.jpg

See that long wire, that reaches to the other end and then curves away to the pot on the upper right? I'm thinking of snipping it shorter and soldering it again. Especially cause when the cover toushes it it short circuits....I believe thats the ground....

Now the ever troublesome Bridge pot....Still not working, if I hold the pot to the left sound comes?

DSCN2678.jpg

And finally the Neck Volume and Master Tone...and jensen paper in oil cap.

DSCN2679-1.jpg

If any one was wondering, the point of doing this was to free the bridge pot space for a fishman powerchip, and powerbridge stuff, yet to be installed. Removing the whole metal plate was fun....

I'd definitely trim down the copper ground wire you talked about. Also, on the bridge pot, it looks like there was a lot of extra solder at one time. Check and make sure some of it didn't flow down into the pot and cause a bridge between the case and the left most (as you're looking at it in the picture) pin.

Jensen .022 paper in oil cap for the bridge pickup' date=' I think.

[/quote']

Yep...

Sounds bad, but I just remembered that ground wire from some we had outside and used that.

I would use a pushpull, but that space is for the powerchip pot.

:-k Copper piping.

Sorry mate - hard to make heads or tails of that wiring in there?[biggrin]

What the hell does that HUGE cap do!?[-(

All a learning curve...

No prob...I understand it...

It was a lot more complicated before........

quit commenting on my ground....sheesh

are there any cons of using that wire?

Well the important thing is it works.......but the way the voltage travels thru wires and why

some are solid and some are multi-stranded is that the voltage only travels along the outside edge of a wire and.....

then you have amps....amperes...which is the pressure of the voltage so to speak........

Anyway as long as that heavy copper does not act like an antenna .........and you start picking up truckers in the

middle of a riff all should be good................

Well the important thing is it works.......but the way the voltage travels thru wires and why

some are solid and some are multi-stranded is that the voltage only travels along the outside edge of a wire and.....

then you have amps....amperes...which is the pressure of the voltage so to speak........

Anyway as long as that heavy copper does not act like an antenna .........and you start picking up truckers in the

middle of a riff all should be good................

Ah, well, in my country, there aren't as many truckers and they don't use radios that much...like hardly.

Archived