Gibson Brands Forums

Playing in a band

Bluemoon

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy playing guitar. It's a hobby. It entertains me. It stimulates me. I love playing. I have no desire to try to make money from it. I make too much doing my day job. I don't get those who try to silence those who don't "gig." It saddens me that some people think this way. It is a form of artistic censorship. I would hope that those who are paid for playing would enjoy sharing their experiences with those that don't, rather than berating them.

I am still waiting for my handbook....whose got one?

Its funny Bluemoon....i also see that attitude from some guitar players. Its a competitive thing....I think these people need to feel better than someone else so they create this view that being in a band is the ONLY goal of a guitar player. If you ain't there, you ain't nothing.

I was in a band...and it was a lot of fun...but now my old bandmates are all married with kids and full time jobs and don't have the same # of recreation hours they used to. We were never planning on "making it" anyway...it was always for fun. A bunch of dudes drinking beers, maybe some J's and writing cool music that we all enjoyed. Sure we played gigs, but most of the time we played for our girlfriends and buddies hehehehe....again, it was fun, but we didn't make any money....

I guess I need to respect some peoples opinion that guitar playing is a competition i definitely do not agree with that opinion. (Slash is WAAAAY better than Buckethead!!!) Guitar playing to me is a very personal thing....

Like Bluemoon, i like to play in order to relax. When i have a bad day at work, the first thing i do when i get home is grab my LP or my SG and play.

*sigh* I guess its human nature to try to put others down.

Bluemoon - when you get that manual, can you forward me a copy? I need to see what else i've been doing wrong since the band dissolved. [cool]

Can someone send me the guitar player's manual that said that in order to qualify as a musician and a "real" guitar owner you have to gig? I don't think I received my copy.

I thought you not only had to gig...but had to be strung out on drugs.... drink booze right out of the bottle on stage, have LOTS of tats and have a very long tongue!

But hey...that's just me.....

There is, and always will be, a class or tier system in all walks of life. From the house you live in, to the kind of car you drive, your day job, the school your kids go to, the brand of guitar you play, etc. Right or wrong, that is just the way it is. I guess it stems from the need for people to be "better" than the next guy.

There is even a class system among working, or "professional", musicians. Musicians are looked at differently by other musicians (specifically), and the general public, if they are a weekend warrior or full timer, play bars or nightclubs or theaters or concert halls or festivals, play in one band or are a jobber, or are a member of the musicians union or not. This tier system even transcends what kind of music you play from folk or rock & roll or jazz or classical or symphonic. Your rank among other musicians seems to also be dependent on what instrument you play, and it seems as guitar players, we are near the bottom of the food chain.

There is' date=' and always will be, a class or tier system in all walks of life. From the house you live in, to the kind of car you drive, your day job, the school your kids go to, the brand of guitar you play, etc. Right or wrong, that is just the way it is. I guess it stems from the need for people to be "better" than the next guy.

There is even a class system among working, or "professional", musicians. Musicians are looked at differently by other musicians (specifically), and the general public, if they are a weekend warrior or full timer, play bars or nightclubs or theaters or concert halls or festivals, play in one band or are a jobber, or are a member of the musicians union or not. This tier system even transcends what kind of music you play from folk or rock & roll or jazz or classical or symphonic. Your rank among other musicians seems to also be dependent on what instrument you play, and it seems as guitar players, we are near the bottom of the food chain. [/quote']

Them damn oboe and tympani players get all the glory!

I thought you not only had to gig...but had to be strung out on drugs.... drink booze right out of the bottle on stage' date=' have LOTS of tats and have a very long tongue!

But hey...that's just me.....[/quote']

I used to resemble that remark other than the tongue. But I got better.

I agree with what everybody has stated. I think the difference is that some musicians get paid while others do not. Does it mean that the guy that gets paid is better than the other guy? Hell no, I seen some crappy players on stage, while there is the guy with an acoustic at a picnic table that can blow my socks off.

I think the people Bluemoon has been talking to may have more ego than talent.

The only time I see it is when talking about gear, not so much about musicianship. I think both gigging and home players are equally guilty when it comes to asking about or discussing gear and in what sort of setting they plan on using whatever gear they're talking about. A guitar is a guitar no matter where you play it (unless you're talking about amplifying acoustic guitars and then you're talking about gigging anyway) but amps and some pedals are not suited to both scenarios. So, I think some gigging players get frustrated when asking about amps and someone suggests a Tiny Terror or a home player rolls his eyes when a gigging player suggests a Marshall half stack.

Come on...the gigging guitarists on this forum are seen as God by many....i think thats a terrible precedent to set for the younger folks.

I guess it also depends on your definition of a gigging musician? Do cover bands count? They are just mimicking songs that were written by someone else...sure they get paid for their sets, but does that mean they are really good? Sometimes....

Come on...the gigging guitarists on this forum are seen as God by many....i think thats a terrible precedent to set for the younger folks.

I guess it also depends on your definition of a gigging musician? Do cover bands count? They are just mimicking songs that were written by someone else...sure they get paid for their sets' date=' but does that mean they are really good? Sometimes....[/quote']

That's an argument that comes up on Craigslist on an almost weekly basis. Writing doesn't make you a great musician, it makes you a great writer.

Locally, it's easy to get booked as a cover band... not as easy as an all-original band, unless you're one of the few big ones. Starting as a cover band and slowly introducing your own material is a good way to go about. There was a band once that did that and got huge. I think they were the Silver Beetles... or maybe it was Johnny and The Moondogs.

The same can be said about Guitar Hero, though... it's just another tier. Unless some of you know some extreme people, none of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band players I know consider themselves guitarists. They don't think they're making music, they think they're playing a game. Apparently they missed the memo that said they were destroying the music industry or whatever the argument against them is.

I can't help how other people view gigging guitar players, that's their own issue to deal with. I'm just stating my opinion.

I couldn't give two shakes of piss dribble if your in a band or not. Not everyone wants the hassle involved ether. Being in a band is a pain in the a$$. I was lucky enough to do it for 25 years I had the ability to do it and still work being a stage hand and roadie for much of the time. It's not for everyone and if it was there would be way too many band competing for the same gigs. There are already too many. I now do it for me alone and love it just as much.

Not really a good precedent to set, period. Props to gigging pros and semis. Been there, done that. But gigging doesn't define every musician's life. And exclusive, elitist attitudes, if unchecked, will do as much or more to ruin an environment that is intended for general enjoyment as quickly as political or religious debate.

Not really a good precedent to set' date=' period. Props to gigging pros and semis. Been there, done that. But gigging doesn't define every musician's life. And exclusive, elitist attitudes, if unchecked, will do as much or more to ruin an environment that is intended for general enjoyment as quickly as political or religious debate.[/quote']

Agreed.....cheers!

Archived