Gibson Brands Forums

The Dark Side...

Lowdown

I doubt if I would ever buy even a Standard from a guy on the net. If we were talking about a second-hand instrument things would change, but brand-new... I don't know. The price (since we would be talking about more cash involved) plus the fact that I would like to see the axe with my own eyes, would stir me away.

If we're talking pedals, small amps, used guitars, I think buying on-line is relatively safe, you can get good bargains by accepting an amount of risk, but, honestly, for the price that guy paid...! If it is indeed a 5-6 hour drive, why didn't he go there the first place, hand-over the money in cash and getting the guitar at the same time...? He went waaaaaay out on limb, the way I see it.

Perhaps, the 500 100% positive feedbacks of the seller are true and perhaps the guy is indeed through a phase of a divorse and he is indeed a wreck. But even if that's true, then it falls within the small amount of risk you accept by online transactions. You see? Sh!t indeed happens sometimes...

Was an interesting read, I'd like to know what ever happened.... I have bought many times on ebay with no problems but I always researched the sellers first. When I bought my Jimmy Page double neck I was sh!tting bricks until it arrived at my house. I was confident that the seller was legit, he had close to 1000 sales and 100% feedback. He was making sales everyday, I spoke to him by phone and communicated by e-mail. I was lucky, in the end I have a beautiful mint JP EDS 1275. I always pay by paypal... If someone wants a bank transfer it's end of deal.... period!

Yep. Got Molly,my LP Standard Faded thru the bay paying thru PayPal but like you still broke out in cold sweats until it was in my paws.

Funnily enough,I'm looking around at R8's at the mo and came across this that got the hairs standing up...read it. Wire transfer accepted,bad pics(asked for better-said he'd get on to it after the weather cleared up[bored] -I dunno,benefit of the doubt). If you read that original thread I posted,the go between's name was Dave. This bloke is Dale...I dunno. Call me paranoid.:-k

Sent a PM to the bloke who got ripped off re. it anyway...

Organised crime and music. Who woulda known...:-k[confused][lol]

In the UK, I would suggest always using a credit card through Paypal. This way, if the new bat doesn't turn up, you have a remedy against the credit card provider.

Not sure if this is the same in the States, Canada, Aus etc.

Hindsight is brutal mistress.

Yep. Got Molly' date='my LP Standard Faded thru the bay paying thru PayPal but like you still broke out in cold sweats until it was in my paws.

Funnily enough,I'm looking around at R8's at the mo and came across this that got the hairs standing up...read it.

Looks OK.... Just make sure you talk to the guy first and know how to get a hold of him if you need too...

Wow' date=' what a story. I know I'll never use ebay to buy anything now. Had my doubts before, but this confirms it. You never know who you are really dealing with.[/quote']

Whoah! Hang on a minute mate.

Like we've said,the bay is still OK for doing business on...as long as you do your homework.

Use PayPal-I got stung once on an SM57,but got my money back,granted it didn't cost $1000's but...you're still covered(if you do your homework again).

Don't tar the rest with the one brush.[biggrin]

Just hate to hear about people getting ripped off. I use CL because I can

checked the guitar out first and when I go there I always have piece of

mind in my pocket (LCP or Kimber). We had people on CL beating up

and robbing the buyers when they would go to pickup the item.

CW

Whoah! Hang on a minute mate.

Like we've said' date='the bay is still OK for doing business on...as long as you do your homework.

Use PayPal-I got stung once on an SM57,but got my money back,granted it didn't cost $1000's but...you're still covered(if you do your homework again).

Don't tar the rest with the one brush.[biggrin

Yeah, I know. I probably over-reacted. The guy should have driven the 5-6 hours to get the guitar with cash-in hand. Then he would have found out the whole thing was a scam when he showed up at the guys house and there was no guitar.

But hind-sight is 20-20.

Yeah' date=' I know. I probably over-reacted. The guy should have driven the 5-6 hours to get the guitar with cash-in hand. Then he would have found out the whole thing was a scam when he showed up at the guys house and there was no guitar.

But hind-sight is 20-20.

Freakin' exactly.

Archived