Gibson Brands Forums

Band strife- Now solution!

Silenced Fred

Much like Football, A band is a team, You must work as a team to attain your goal.

Be honest about the problem, don't be nice about it.

Respond don't react to things that are said.

And if it's not meant to be then it's not meant to be.

Do you know any other musicians you could start jammin' with. All you need is a Bass and drum and you've got the nucleus of whatever project you feel like doing. And when it's your project there's no one *****in' but you. It's more work setting up gigs and making sure everyone gets there and all, but it's worth it ten fold.

At your age it's all experience. By the time your old enough to play in a bar you'll have been in a couple bands, unless your extremely lucky and find the perfect group in high school.

In the mean time work up an acoustic thing by yourself or with a friend, the most fun I had when I was your age was playing acoustically with a friend. We did parties and BBQ's at friends houses and what not. Way less drama than the bands I tried and way more fun (by fun I mean chicks).

Do you know any other musicians you could start jammin' with. All you need is a Bass and drum and you've got the nucleus of whatever project you feel like doing. And when it's your project there's no one *****in' but you. It's more work setting up gigs and making sure everyone gets there and all' date=' but it's worth it ten fold.

At your age it's all experience. By the time your old enough to play in a bar you'll have been in a couple bands, unless your extremely lucky and find the perfect group in high school.

In the mean time work up an acoustic thing by yourself or with a friend, the most fun I had when I was your age was playing acoustically with a friend. We did parties and BBQ's at friends houses and what not. Way less drama than the bands I tried and way more fun (by fun I mean chicks).[/quote']

I gotcha, I want to, but right now, I think my acoustic might be a goner :)

I'm gonna have to save for another one I think... this sucks. Drummers, I have one friend who is a drummer, and bassists are very hard to come by. Might be able to get one girl that plays, but idk.

I would rather play by myself or with a small group, such as the "core" that people talk about of three or four, anymore, and it gets crowded

A bunch of guys gave good advice...

Find folks you like to play music with. You don't have to be blood brothers, just professional associates. It seems to me that from that point stuff either gets more friendly - or less.

Yeah, it's high school and that set of relationships, good or bad, may not last forever anyway. I haven't heard a word from any of the guys I played music with in high school, btw.

But if you plan to get something going on your own, make sure you have a place you likely could practice before you really start talking seriously. Maybe feel out some folks... then see where it's going.

When a band is working, it's great fun. When it's not, it ain't - and I don't mean just the music.

m

If it ain't fun - quit.

They call it PLAYING music for a reason.

I remember learning that Count Basie would weigh attitude more than technical prowess when hiring people to be in his band. It never hurt him any.

If the band isn't having fun, how do you expect the audience to have fun?

Find some musicians that love to PLAY and get something new going.

OK --- 'nuff said.

Insights and incites by Notes

If it ain't fun - quit.

They call it PLAYING music for a reason.

I remember learning that Count Basie would weigh attitude more than technical prowess when hiring people to be in his band. It never hurt him any.

If the band isn't having fun' date=' how do you expect the audience to have fun?

Find some musicians that love to PLAY and get something new going.

OK --- 'nuff said.

Insights and incites by Notes[/quote']

I gotcha, its hard though, there arent a ton of musicians by me. hard to get stuff off of the ground

I'd rather have fun with my friends playing, then be miserable with the best people out there, plain and simple.

"Bands" come and go. Just concentrate on becoming as good a player, as you possibly can,

and learn other instruments, as well...bass, drums, keyboards, etc. Then, they'll come to You! (Maybe!) ;>)

Great guitar players are a "dime a dozen"...Great bass players and drummers, even Great Keyboard players,

are a bit more difficult to find.

Also...go to as many "open mic" nights, as you can...both to play and listen. You can find lots of

like minded individuals, quite often, at events like that. And, they can hear what you can do, as

well as you can hear what they have to offer. Good place to meet other players and singers, in

a more casual atmosphere.

Cheers,

CB

I don't know if I'm going to quit yet, but I'm starting a small group with 3 other friends, it should be tons of fun. Right now, we are just going to work on jamming and playing some songs, worry about playing out later. :D

This might bring me back to it, should have a practice late this week, but I have a feeling its gonna rock.

Thanks guys

I don't know if I'm going to quit yet' date=' but I'm starting a small group with 3 other friends, it should be tons of fun. Right now, we are just going to work on jamming and playing some songs, worry about playing out later. [biggrin']

This might bring me back to it, should have a practice late this week, but I have a feeling its gonna rock.

Thanks guys

That's the stuff.

Good for you man.

Archived