Gibson Brands Forums

Recommendations for a good acoustic

daveinspain

Hey Acoustic People,

Hope all is well and you are all doing your music and happy! I wanted to ask you guys for some help. A friend of mine who plays guitar was asking me advise on what kind of an acoustic guitar to buy. My first thought was Gibson, Martin or Taylor... This guy learned to play on Spanish Classical guitars and played Flamenco and traditional Spanish tunes and he has a Spanish classical guitar. He wants to make a transition to Western style guitars. I figure he is use to a wider neck/ fretboard of the Spanish classical guitar. Where as some of you play classical guitar as well I was hoping you could recommend a good quality acoustic that would be comfortable for him to play or help him make the transition to western style acoustic.

I don't know all that much about acoustics so your advise would be appreciated...

Thanks, Dave

I am sure enough Gibson recommendations will come in a steady wave, and rightfully so.

But since he is leaving a traditional instrument, might I suggest that he at least audition a Rainsong. I know no other guitar that has such projection and tone and a playable neck. And zero issues with adjustments or humidity or babying or hiding from the weather changes.

Anyone that has never tried one of these should at least once. I was never a believer in graphite material until I met one of these. Someday after we have killed all the trees, these are how guitars will be made.

http://www.rainsong.com/models/jm1000.asp

http://www.rainsong.com/models/cows1000n2.asp

God let the fun begin ! Where do we start !! #-o The list is endless my friend . How much do you want to spend ? Do you like a bluesy sound ? Do you like a deep gutteral sound? Play as many as you can ! [biggrin]

It will come to you what sounds good to you ! [cool]

Yeah I hear you but the guitar is not for me... It's for a friend who is used to playing Flamenco and Spanish classical guitars. I was hoping some would have a good suggestion for a guitar to go to knowing that back ground...

Well, since he is used to a classical guitar, I'd recommend a concert body. Also, a wider nut/string spacing. Gibson CSM fits that description.

I also happen to enjoy the odd Taylor, and a mid-range GA or GS would be great.

How much does he have to spend?

Well....

From starting on classical guitars myself, I can state that it's not really an easy shift. T'be honest, my first steel string was a 12-string and that probably helped make the shift easier. In fact, I look back at a Hagstrom electric 12-string I had in the early '70s and wish that instead of swapping it, I'd have simply undoubled the strings and messed with the extra pegs enough so they wouldn't rattle.

m

He should look at a Martin 00-28VS. The body is about the same size as a classical, it's a 12-fret guitar, with a slotted headstock, and a nut width of 1-7/8" and string spacing at the saddle of 2-5/16". It'll feel about as much like a classical to him as anything with steel strings.

Martin 00-28VS

Then, when he gets used to that, he can buy the Gibson of his choice. I recommend something with sloped shoulders.

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

Best advice we could give in all honesty is for him to go out and try a bucnh of steel strings, see what floats his boat. Til he can clarify matters a bit, shopping on the basis of our suggestions would make as much sense as bartering on a bride from Romania.

Hey Acoustic People' date='

Hope all is well and you are all doing your music and happy! I wanted to ask you guys for some help. A friend of mine who plays guitar was asking me advise on what kind of an acoustic guitar to buy. My first thought was Gibson, Martin or Taylor... This guy learned to play on Spanish Classical guitars and played Flamenco and traditional Spanish tunes and he has a Spanish classical guitar. He wants to make a transition to Western style guitars. I figure he is use to a wider neck/ fretboard of the Spanish classical guitar. Where as some of you play classical guitar as well I was hoping you could recommend a good quality acoustic that would be comfortable for him to play or help him make the transition to western style acoustic.

I don't know all that much about acoustics so your advise would be appreciated...

Thanks, Dave[/quote']

a sj 100 would be a great guitar for him. so easy to play

A friend of mine who plays guitar was asking me advise on what kind of an acoustic guitar to buy. My first thought was Gibson' date=' Martin or Taylor... This guy learned to play on Spanish Classical guitars and played Flamenco and traditional Spanish tunes and he has a Spanish classical guitar. He wants to make a transition to Western style guitars. I figure he is use to a wider neck/ fretboard of the Spanish classical guitar. Where as some of you play classical guitar as well I was hoping you could recommend a good quality acoustic that would be comfortable for him to play or help him make the transition to western style acoustic.[/quote']

Martin makes some really nice guitars with wider necks.

For example, the D-18 GE (dreadnought) and the 00-18 V (smaller bodied) both have a 1 3/4 inch nut.

That would probably be comfortable for someone who plays classical guitar, and both are definitely more "western style".

And there are many others. Check out the Martin site.

Your friend sounds like he will appreciate a guitar that is representative of western accoustic guitars - I'd seriously consider the Gibson J45. Trying to find a steel string with a neck as wide as a classical will be a waste of time. I am sure he's already conciously committed to the difference in size and sound since he's wanting to change from classical and flamenco. G'luck.

Best advice we could give in all honesty is for him to go out and try a bucnh of steel strings' date=' see what floats his boat. Til he can clarify matters a bit, shopping on the basis of our suggestions would make as much sense as bartering on a bride from Romania.[/quote']

the return shipping on women is a killer. sheesh.

seroiusly though, he's right. try guitars. shopping is a great deal of fun and gives you some road experience. are you in the same town? go with him and be his ear. you'll learn, too. there is no downside. its like a spa day for boys.

Godin guitars in Canada have many models with wider nut width. I own a Seagull Maritime mini-jumbo which is a lovely guitar. They currently do solid body versions which do not cost the earth. They are very good for fingerstyle playing and sound great with DR rare strings. Norman is another brand of Godin acoustic as is Simon and Patrick. Recently I looked at Breedlove and was very impressed. I love my Hummingbird if the nut width is not an issue, although i think the J200 nut is slightly wider.Finally if money was no object i would look at a Martin D28 marquis or a Lowden. Your friend should have no problem finding something that suits. He should have a ball trying out all these recommendations. best of luck with your search.

Archived