Gibson Brands Forums

Ain't Worth Dirt...

Lowdown

There's a show on Link TV, arguably the most Leftist of all networks, called Spotlight. A couple years ago they ran a show about the honor killings in Pakistan called "Against my Will". They ran it once. I emailed them and asked when they would air it again. They said they had no plans to run it. An email to the company that put it out said they'd sell me a copy for $375. I think it should be run again even if it offends some people by showing the truth.

I'm sure if Link TV had a show about a working class Christian family in Kentucky who grounded their teenage daughter for wearing a skirt above the knee they would air it once a week as cruel and inhumane.

http://icarusfilms.com/new2003/aga.html

There's a show on Link TV' date=' arguably the most Leftist of all networks, called Spotlight. A couple years ago they ran a show about the honor killings in Pakistan called "Against my Will". They ran it once. I emailed them and asked when they would air it again. They said they had no plans to run it. An email to the company that put it out said they'd sell me a copy for $375. I think it should be run again even if it offends some people by showing the truth.

I'm sure if Link TV had a show about a working class Christian family in Kentucky who grounded their teenage daughter for wearing a skirt above the knee they would air it once a week as cruel and inhumane.

[/quote']

public-flogging-in-pakistan.jpg

I think it should be run again even if it offends some people by showing the truth.

Ya it's pretty sad isn't it. Not allowing offensive material when it's the truth or relates to a topic.

Well you know a few complain and they get their way and the many have to suffer. You know

I saw that happen someplace lately.

CW

CW

But do those issues get left behind when they "re-introduce" themselves to a new culture?[smile]

Funny that you ask this, since there has been a major discussion in Europe during the last years if Turkey should be accepted in the European Union. Perhaps not everyone know this, but Turkey has a very small part of it, geographically speaking, in Europe and the rest belongs to Asia. So, the whole question has come down to cultural issues...

And there are those, even in my country, which has been a ''traditional enemy'' of Turkey for some centuries, that support the argument that AFTER we bring them in the E.U., they will have to ''follow'' culturally. Not by me however...:-

The pathetic thing is that Shred's right, humanity needs a bit of well.. Humanity.

"Little" things like this appear to happen everywhere- all societies/religions (Hector, Austria is a EU member. They had the a$$hole that kept his daughter in a basement for 20some years, fathered a couple of kids). The US has had examples Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Lee Dugard along with a few "baby cut from murdered woman" cases.

The Turk-monsters may be attributed directly to "religion", but I believe it was Smart's kidnappers that were reported to have had some "religion" issues.

Maybe not on the same scale, but it wasn't that long ago in the US there was corporal punishment allowed in schools. I'd guess that some of the "older" members here, especially those that went to parochial schools, can remember teachers whacking students with pointers, rulers, books, paddles or whatever else was handy (I know how well behaved all the folks here are, so I doubt it happened to any of "us" but... I'd be willing to bet they'd seen it happen).

The US, at least, has matured enough so that corporal punishment is no longer allowed in school, public at least, now we arrest kids for 2 inch Lego guns and arrest, handcuff and take to jail a 12 year old girl for writing her name on a desk. (Wonder what they would have done to the guy that wrote "George Washington was here" all over the place).

Shred people are "forking" sick!!!

Isn't it more terrifying knowing that people with such a stone age view of life and justice can thrive in this age?

Most terrifying is they have adapted to the same technology that has brought enlightenment to the rest of the world and use it to spread their ideals of intolerance. It's almost as if they are the past reaching out to grasp us about the neck and drag us back into the dark ages.

Our new response is to give them "civil rights" so they can protect, justify and spread incivility.

Isn't it more terrifying knowing that people with such a stone age view of life and justice can thrive in this age?

Most terrifying is they have adapted to the same technology that has brought enlightenment to the rest of the world and use it to spread their ideals of intolerance. It's almost as if they are the past reaching out to grasp us about the neck and drag us back into the dark ages.

Our new response is to give them "civil rights" so they can protect' date=' justify and spread incivility.

[/quote']

I Agree with this.

Okay, a musical "take" on this before the thread is frozen or dumped.

It's my observation that "culture" is such that there are going to be major disputes among many of them over various sorts of moral issues.

Frankly, I think most of us today would find similar "moral issues" were we to drop back 100 years wherever we are today, due to changes in culture even within a putative "population group" over time.

Guitar relevance?

Think about this one: If one does not find the same or similar music being played on the same or similar equipment - instruments, radios, whatever - it seems to me there is a strong likelihood there will be some significant cultural clashes.

I'm using music as a baseline to determine major cultural differences. I may be wrong, but I think it's not all that off kilter.

It's interesting to me how different cultures view things that "western European" culture of today consider "good," and that they may consider "evil," and vice versa.

Yeah, I've got tons of examples. Bottom line is that a lotta "morality" is hardwired in one's childhood. That creates a frame of reference that may seem to folks in other cultures as illogical and perhaps evil.

One of my favorite examples: In the North American frontier era circa 1700-1900, it was not unusual for a man to marry a woman, have a child and lose the wife to illness, then the wife's sister comes to help and marries the guy. Here it's no big deal, in Korea it's "incest" as nasty as if one were to marry his own mother or sister.

m

Here it's no big deal' date=' in Korea it's "incest" as nasty as if one were to marry his own mother or sister.

m

[/quote']

I watch the Jerry Springer Show every day. Vice is nice but incest is best.

Culture and guitar, eh? Yep. Show up at a bluegrass festival with anything but a D-28 clone. Play heavy metal on a Jazzmaster. I play AC-DC on a classical sometimes just to see if anyone notices.

KS...

Yupper. Your examples of what sort of guitar goes into a given "western" musical environment are a microcosm of how I see music as a cultural indicator.

Now expand that to broader cultural implications where even a guitar or fiddle might be seen as an "instrument" of evil, and of an evil culture. It's there, and although only a tiny minority in current "western" culture, it may well be a majority in cultures where one seldom if ever sees a guitar or fiddle...

m

Archived