Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you go to learn songs?

ledzep59

Where do you go to learn songs (if you can't learn it by ear, trial/error, etc.) on the web?

If the song is simple I can usually figure it out by ear after I get the key, or just hack it out. If there is layers of harmony or modulation, I will start to have trouble. Otherwise, I just google the song and look through several duds before finding a reliable tab. I also use youtube because you can just watch the artist's fingers in a lot of videos.

Over the past few months I've gotten pretty good at learning songs by ear. Usually if I can't do it on my own, my teacher can help me out. Usually if that doesn't work, I try to find chord charts (not tab, because I don't try to copy other players' parts) online and work from there. But yeah, I can usually figure it out as long as I can determine the key, and if I can tell clearly when the changes are. Sometimes it helps to listen for the III instead of the I.

Of course there are things that I simply can't figure out. Sometimes it's good to just do what you can on it, leave it alone for a week, and then come back to it. Playing, running through scales and arpeggios, doing all of the "rote" stuff helps too, even if it's not necessarily a whole lot of fun. I think that every time we play a scale, a cadence, what have you, we internalize a little more information about harmony. My best advice for ear training, then, is to play a lot, and to listen intently to what you play. Sorry if that all comes off as a little stupid, but it sounded right to me.

Archived