Gibson Brands Forums

Cat repelant

MojoRedFoot

OK, so I just caught one of my cats scratching the front of my cab. Does any one know if those anti-cat scratch sprays are safe on cabs? I don't plan on drenching it. I will cover my stack in the meantime and hope he doesn't put it off and continue scratching it. And no, getting rid of him is not an option.

Can't trust a cat to learn anything you want 'em to learn. That's one of the cool things about 'em. I wouldn't use any of the spray repellents on my amps. I got one of those folding travel cages, which we had used around our Lab's kennel when she was a pup. Place it around your amps, just over a cat's arm's reach away. You'll get used to the look and your critters won't be able to reach the cabs. And the barrier will be too close to the amps for them to jump over. Or take over half the garage for your music space and make it a no-critter zone.

I have 4 cats in my house but I have a large room I keep my equipment in. Is there any way you can isolate the cab from the cats. My fear has always been that a cat get in my equipment room and use my guitars for claw sharpening. It's a tough situation with cats and once they decide where to sharpen their claws maybe aluminum foil would deter them.

I have 2 cats in my house. I do keep my amp in a room, but the door is generally open. That cats like to wander in and look around. Sometimes, if I am playing something fairly quiet, or a melody line, they will just there. I have not yet had a problem with them scratching BECAUSE on my first amp, my sister's cat tried to scratch it and started to (It was a Line 6) so I let him continue, then I increased the gain and volume and let 'er rip with a nice big old A power chord. Claw got stuck, flipped over the amp (it's a line 6) and the cat went tearing out. They still listen to me play, but don't go scratching on my amp anymore [biggrin]

This is not animal cruelty, just anticipating some arguments. It works bud

I have 4 cats... You can teach them not to do that... The water spray is a good idea. My cats also respond well to a very loud mad sounding !!NO!! booming from my voice. I always speak to them in a very soft loving voice so they no the difference. They know when they do bad...

Luckily, my "little angels" never tried to scratch my amps.

If they did, I would try something that smelled like lemon. My cats hate that smell.

The water suggestion is also good: Buy yourself a water pistol, and give 'em a pop, whenever they get near the amp. You'll have better aim than with a spray bottle, and it's important that the cats don't realize it's coming from you: They need to associate "amp" with "water". Otherwise they'll just do it when you're not around.

My solution...A size 12 Kodiak work boot. I ain't *kidding* lol

Might not want to use a scatter gun Jantha, the over spray is a bit hard on the wall board, not to mention speakers. Might try a .22, it's more discreet, as long as your aim is good.

Seriously, though, maybe tack up some clear plastic where she scratches, if she's scratching the sides. If it's the grilles she prefers, cover them up with a good looking drape / curtain when you aren't playing.

Repellant sounds good, but attractant might be an option. Have the owner of the cat get one of those cat scratching posts stuffed with catnip... and place it in another room. Said cat might abandon the cabs, for greener pastures.

The thing is, he knows that my stack is what makes the lound noise and he does not come in the room when I play. That is the only time I have away from him. He has to be in whatever room I am in. I gotta get a spray bottle. I usually keep something small within arms reach to throw at him when he does it and now I keep the door shut while I'm at work. Double sided tape doesn't bother him. He just bites it and pulls it off. Bad kitteh.

Luckily' date=' my "little angels" never tried to scratch my amps.

If they did, I would try something that smelled like lemon. My cats hate that smell.

The water suggestion is also good: Buy yourself a water pistol, and give 'em a pop, whenever they get near the amp. You'll have better aim than with a spray bottle, and it's important that the cats don't realize it's coming from you: They need to associate "amp" with "water". Otherwise they'll just do it when you're not around.

[/quote']

I sure hope the amps don't get caught in the cross-fire!

If the cat MUST be in the same room with you... Get a catnip infused scratching post to slake his lust for scratching.

The only other option I see is a fence of some sort to keep her back. They sell those 12" square wire grills with four-way connectors to make shelves and such, Maybe a fence made of those to keep 'Tabby' back.

One of these: Cat Fence Raw Material

You wouldn't necessarily need to set it up like shown, but re-configure it to make a fence. If they come in black, more's the better.

My son has a similar fence he erected to keep my grandkids from getting into the computer equipment and wires under his computer desk. He started by puting up a corral for the kids to play in. Then he decided he should corral the computer desk instead.

Kids will push and pull on anything with a light on it. Once they stumble upon the CD eject button... Now we be playin!

Archived