Gibson Brands Forums

Some practical advice (anonymous) on an old question

Cruznolfart

The question? What's the diff between a Gibson and an Epi Lester...

Among the answers was this very special gem, this pearl of guitar wisdom.

"An Epiphone is made by Gibson. You can place the two studios side by side and would not be able to tell the difference in the sound or quality if it were not for the name. The one difference between the Gibson version and the Epiphone version is that Gibson uses different woods and Epiphone uses good quaity woods but a lighter version. The only difference you will find is a lighter weight difference in the Epiphone. The point at which the difference in woods comes in is as to what size strings you put on the guitar. If you want to play Stevie Ray Vaughn style and want to copy the size strings the man played with and use a 13 ga string then I would recommend the Gibson. However, if you can get by with 11 ga or 10 ga strings then I would recommend the Epiphone."

:-k

This was submitted by someone calling himself a "pro musician and song-writer" so they must know whereof they speak, eh?

#-o[blink] :D :-s[mad][biggrin]

Ok, I'll leave the Epi Studio vs Gibby Studio alone for the moment. First.....

If you want to use 13s like SRV you should get the Gibson?

Stevie rarely played with 13s. He stated in an old Guitar World interview that he had gone as big as 13, but favored 12's. As for a Stevie Ray Vaughan comparison when discussing Les Pauls......seriously?!

Now, as a guy who like and occasionally defends Epiphones. You have to get a High End Epiphone to compare to the Gibson Les Paul Studio. Don't even try to compare any Epi Les Paul to a Gibby Standard or Higher. Epiphone Praise should always be followed by "for the money", with the possible exception of the Sheraton II.

I'll just let the different Electronics thing for someone else to explain......

wow.... some great insight there.... screw saving up $2k for a Gibson LP Std, imma just buy a $400 epiphone equivalent.... because, CLEARLY there is NO difference in quality whatsoever between the 2, its just the name....

LOL!!! [drool][omg] [omg]

how big of a moron do you have to be to not see or hear a difference in a chinese POS made by sweat-shop workers who dont give a damn about the guitar vs. a real Gibson made in the USA with top-notch craftsmanship by people who love and care and take pride in what theyre creating?!?! :D #-o

And this guy is a pro what?

See' date=' that's what I was getting at. He passes himself off as a pro musician, as if that gives him bona fides. Then he makes the inane statement that the only difference between the two manufacturing process is in the use of different, lighter woods for Epis, which should be taken into account when deciding upon string gauge. :( [biggrin

I know some of us are borderline cork-sniffers but this kind of misinformation is just absurd. It goes back to something I read here recently, "If you don't know, keep your effing mouth shut!"...or something to that effect. A perfect example right there.

I can't comment on the Lester, but I have played a couple of Epiphone Dots which, correct me if I'm wrong, is Epi's version of the ES335. Incredible bang for the buck! Quality beyond the dollars spent.

Yes the genuine Gibson will be nicer in many ways but where is your bank account at? Or more commonly, where will it be after the purchase?? For some of us, there might be enough left over for steak and potatoes with the Epiphone, where it would be cat food after the Gibson!

If it feels good, play it!

See' date=' that's what I was getting at. He passes himself off as a pro musician, as if that gives him bona fides.[/quote']

That's a problem with the Internet in general: So many people portray themselves as something they're not. In this case, the guy wants us to believe he's a pro musician who knows his stuff, although that's improbable... :(

I read once of a woman who moved from Europe to New Zealand to be close to her Internet "pen pal": He had told her he was in his early 30's, working on his doctorate in literature, and that he was financially well off.

When this woman (a high school teacher) got to his place, she found that he was unemployed and over 50. He locked her in his trailer for a few days, but she finally escaped. [biggrin]

The moral of the story? :-

When I told you guys I am an ex Chippendale dancer now playing with Led Zeppelin, I was lying...

Archived