Gibson Brands Forums

Is a Les Paul Custom a Custom Shop Guitar?

Andre S

A point Hector Arcadius raised in a thread from the LP section, that it is actually made under Gibson USA and not Gibson Custom Shop.

The website may be wrong, but it lists all the Les Paul Customs as Custom Shop Versions.

I know for sure, that the 56 and 57 reissues are custom shop, but what about the non reissue Les Paul Custom?

Is it made in the USA factory or in the Custom Shop?

Absolutely not, unless you specifically order a custom shop edition, or have one made, which takes up to 18 months, been there done it, just because it says a custom, it's referring to the model, like a standard, studio ...... I could be wrong but it's my understanding that unless you order a "custom shop" gutar, which should come with a COA and case that has custom printed on it.

Yes they started making the Customs in the Custom shop a few years ago.

CW

Here's a link to Gibson Custom shop part of their web site and has the

Custom info.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

hmmmm sooo that would explain why they are so damn expensive.... didnt they used to be something like only $3100 and now they're almost $4000 :-

Well, doublecutjr, that's an easy mistake to make.

(Where's Tim when ya need 'im?)

Here's the deal;

Gibson no longer has a tiny little super-secret Custom Shop with a handful of master craftsmen and luthiers

who toil with focus and passion on a handful of handmade instruments a year for a lucky/wealthy few.

This is but one of the complaints I have about the business model Gibson has moved toward.

When I ordered my EDS-1275 doubleneck in early 2006, Gibson had only recently moved that one to the CS.

In 2005 it was a regular production guitar, but built (if I recall) in Memphis where they do special models and

limited production special runs in addition to the semi-hollows across the range from ES-series stuff to the

archtop models at the top of the $$$$ line.

Now, there was a Custom Shop of sorts in Nashville, as well as one in Memphis.

It gets blurry for me when I try to remember which model went where.

Only in recent years has Gibson started pushing the Reissue line with such vigor.

It used to be just a limited run they would do now and then and they would alternate models,

as well as the degree of accuracy they were built with.

Once they decided to start building reissues full time, it was decided they would be "Custom Shop" models.

Helps justify the prices they were asking.

Then along about 2006 they moved the Les Paul Custom line into the Custom Shop to separate it from the

lowly Standards that made up the lion's share of their production.

Before long, the VOS stuff came out, and now it seems like they make as many "Custom Shop" models

as they do regular guitars like the LP Standard/Studio and the SG line.

Any signature model comes out of the Custom Shop too.

So, I'm kinda thinking they've watered down this whole "Custom Shop" thing and hung a sign on the mailbox

out front that says Gibson Custom Shop for the whole damned factory.

How about I finish this up with a funny story, one that got me thinking about all this back in '06?

Here goes;

When I was talking to my dealer about ordering my double neck, I was seeking clarification on just what options

were available on the guitar - since it's a "Custom" made guitar just for me, eh?

Cherry with nickel hardware, or white with gold hardware.

That's it.

Hmmmm.... :-k:-s[blink]

Well, a couple things came to mind that I would like to have on the guitar, and I didn't want to mod the thing.

First, I had absolutely fallen in love with the 57 Classic pickups, so I wanted them in place of the 490/498's.

It would cost me an additional $500 to do the swap on my own later on, so let the factory do it for a fee.

Second, I wanted Grover tuners on the guitar - all 18 of them.

My dealer questioned my sanity on this one.... "Do you have any idea how neck-heavy that will make it?"

Yes, and I don't care.

I wanted 14:1 Rotomatics on the six, and 18:1 Mini-Rotomatics on the twelve, from the factory.

That's my idea of a Custom Shop guitar, with the changes I want to truly make it MY guitar from day one.

No mods to detract from the value, and unique features to possibly add to its worth in the future.

My dealer told me "Yeah, I'll call 'em. But they really don't like changes and you'll pay dearly - if they say yes."

Okay, fine.

He called me back the next day and said "Hey, I really don't think you wanna do these changes...."

Sure I do, it's my Custom Shop guitar, I want it my way.

"It's gonna DOUBLE the price of the guitar."

WTF?!?! :- [angry][blink][biggrin]=;

Yes, putting four different pickups in the guitar and using a different template to drill the holes in the headstocks.

That little bit of effort was gonna double the price of a $4700 guitar.

So much for a "custom" built guitar....

[-([angry]

As a side note, the tuners work fine and the 490/498's sound heavenly - it truly is a wonderous guitar.

But still.....

[-([mad]

Now' date=' there was a Custom Shop of sorts in Nashville, as well as one in Memphis.

Only in recent years has Gibson started pushing the Reissue line with such vigor.

It used to be just a limited run they would do now and then and they would alternate models,

Once they decided to start building reissues full time, it was decided they would be "Custom Shop" models.

Then along about 2006 they moved the Les Paul Custom line into the Custom Shop to separate it from the

Before long, the VOS stuff came out, and now it seems like they make as many "Custom Shop" models

So, I'm kinda thinking they've watered down this whole "Custom Shop" thing and hung a sign on the mailbox

out front that says Gibson Custom Shop for the whole damned factory.[/Quote']

I agree with 100% Neo. It's not a special build or Custom shop model when it's on an assemble line that's for sure.

CW

Well' date=' doublecutjr, that's an easy mistake to make.

(Where's Tim when ya need 'im?)

Here's the deal;

Gibson no longer has a tiny little super-secret Custom Shop with a handful of master craftsmen and luthiers

who toil with focus and passion on a handful of handmade instruments a year for a lucky/wealthy few.

This is but [b']one[/b] of the complaints I have about the business model Gibson has moved toward.

When I ordered my EDS-1275 doubleneck in early 2006, Gibson had only recently moved that one to the CS.

In 2005 it was a regular production guitar, but built (if I recall) in Memphis where they do special models and

limited production special runs in addition to the semi-hollows across the range from ES-series stuff to the

archtop models at the top of the $$$$ line.

Now, there was a Custom Shop of sorts in Nashville, as well as one in Memphis.

out front that says Gibson Custom Shop for the whole damned factory.

How about I finish this up with a funny story, one that got me thinking about all this back in '06?

Here goes;

When I was talking to my dealer about ordering my double neck, I was seeking clarification on just what options

were available on the guitar - since it's a "Custom" made guitar just for me, eh?

Cherry with nickel hardware, or white with gold hardware.

That's it.

Hmmmm.... :-k:-s[blink]

Well, a couple things came to mind that I would like to have on the guitar, and I didn't want to mod the thing.

First, I had absolutely fallen in love with the 57 Classic pickups, so I wanted them in place of the 490/498's.

It would cost me an additional $500 to do the swap on my own later on, so let the factory do it for a fee.

Second, I wanted Grover tuners on the guitar - all 18 of them.

My dealer questioned my sanity on this one.... "Do you have any idea how neck-heavy that will make it?"

Yes, and I don't care.

I wanted 14:1 Rotomatics on the six, and 18:1 Mini-Rotomatics on the twelve, from the factory.

That's my idea of a Custom Shop guitar, with the changes I want to truly make it MY guitar from day one.

No mods to detract from the value, and unique features to possibly add to its worth in the future.

My dealer told me "Yeah, I'll call 'em. But they really don't like changes and you'll pay dearly - if they say yes."

Okay, fine.

He called me back the next day and said "Hey, I really don't think you wanna do these changes...."

Sure I do, it's my Custom Shop guitar, I want it my way.

"It's gonna DOUBLE the price of the guitar."

WTF?!?! :-k[angry][blink] :- =;

Yes, putting four different pickups in the guitar and using a different template to drill the holes in the headstocks.

That little bit of effort was gonna double the price of a $4700 guitar.

So much for a "custom" built guitar....

[-([angry]

As a side note, the tuners work fine and the 490/498's sound heavenly - it truly is a wonderous guitar.

But still.....

[-([mad]

That's complete sh*t, when I ordered my Martin OM-1, it is an all solid wood guitar except for the neck.

It was a clear satin coat on the top with black binding on the front and back of the body, I asked them through GC how much it would be for a tint on the top, like the Clapton model and creme binding

No problem they said, 1199, the original price 899.

I asked them then, if I could get it with a 24.5 scale rather than a 25.5,

No problem, with the other changes, total was 1500..

For different paint, a different scale, different binding, only 600 more..

Thats how it should be.

With all that said and done, I didn't order the custom model, I didn't want to wait 6 months,

However, If I had 2000 to buy an acoustic, and I could take a regular production Martin and get it customized for a little more, or a regular production Gibson Acoustic,

I would most definitely go with the Gibson...

I don't know why, it seems more reasonable to go with the Martin, where your personalization can be added on to a regular model for a little extra, like your own signature model.

But there's something about a Gibson, as I'm sure we all know.

It just sucks you in!

I was talking to a friend who insisted that SG 61' RI were made in the custom shop, and as much as I want to say I'm positive it isn't his constant insistence that it is has worn me down, so I figured I'd lay the argument to rest here, where are they made? [cool]

I was talking to a friend who insisted that SG 61' RI were made in the custom shop' date=' and as much as I want to say I'm positive it isn't his constant insistence that it is has worn me down, so I figured I'd lay the argument to rest here, where are they made? [biggrin']

Mexico....[cool]

I was talking to a friend who insisted that SG 61' RI were made in the custom shop' date=' and as much as I want to say I'm positive it isn't his constant insistence that it is has worn me down, so I figured I'd lay the argument to rest here, where are they made? [biggrin']

Well, actually, you both are technically correct.

There is a USA made SG 61 RI for 2000,

And a Custom Shop SG Historic, for 3500

The difference, I think IMO, is the same as the difference between a Les Paul Classic, and a 1960 RI

Confused yet?

[biggrin]

I'm getting there.

All I need to remember, is my super perfect USA Studio, and not give a ****

All Gibsons are great...

Let Gibson call it what they will.

But Neo, they have the USA 61 and a CS 61 right?

Yes the regular 61 reissue is a Gibson USA, not a Custom shop. I have heard, however, that they are the nicest non custom shop SGs there are. The custom shop makes 61 and 62 V.O.S. reissues. This is to the best of my knowledge, you old heads fill me in if i'm wrong[biggrin]

Archived