Gibson Brands Forums

my '58 VOS

eljay

Pardon me for living 1319, I have seen a few historics come out of the custom shop with 57 classics. Why jump on me with such a defensive comment? You know this forum is supposed to be a place where one can go and mingle with common interests, it not meant for critisizing....... I guess cwness was right when he warned me about all the"know it alls" here. Well sometimes you just can't have it all.

Take a look here:

1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst

1965 Gibson Les Paul JR/SG Polaris White (refinished)

2005 Gibson Les Paul Junior Vintage Sunburst

2007 Gibson Explorer Pro Heritage Cherry

2007 Gibson Les Paul Junior Double Cut Nashville Satin White (GOTW, 400 made)

2007 Gibson Melody Maker Joan Jett Series White

2008Gibson SG Classic Heritage Cherry

2009 Gibson Nighthawk Trans Amber Limited Run (350)

1978 Fender Stratocaster Yellow

1974 Marshall MK II 50 watt head

1974 Marshall 4x12 1960 Bass Lead, 25w Celestian Greenback 16 ohm

1976 Marshall 4x12 1960 Base Lead, 25w Celestian Brownback 16 ohm Ipswitch

1978 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 Silver Face

2006 Crown DA-75 Power Amp

2004 Genz Benz 2x12 G-Flex Ported Cabinet

1985 ENGL Model 620 Tube Pre Amp

2007 TC Electronics D-TWO

2006 Lexicon MX200

2001 Roland XP-30 Synthesizer

I don't need a lecture

i dont think he jumped all over you. but you are both right. it really just depends on the year and the model. most historics made in the last 5 years have the BBs. but i have also seen new R8s with 57 classics when they are supposed to have BBs.

fwiw, here an email exchange i had with gibson last week regarding type of pickups:

Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:34 PM

To: Customer Service

Subject: Talk 2 Us : Country USA

hi, just a friendly inquiry. bought a LP R8 yesterday and am delighted. just curious, why does this model have burstbucker pickups? seems like 57 classics would be more "in period." not gonna swap, jusk asking! many thanks, larry

Hello Larry,

The Gibson Historic models used ’57 Classics until the early 2000’s when the more accurate PAF reissue Burstbucker 1,2 and 3 pick-up came out. Thanks.

Bob Burns

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

the burstbucker 1/2 are actually more vintage correct in that they have an uneven number of windings. it is those extra windings that give the BBs that little edge that i like. the 57s are good, but they dont do it for me. i havent played the 57 plus though

the burstbucker 1/2 are actually more vintage correct in that they have an uneven number of windings. it is those extra windings that give the BBs that little edge that i like. the 57s are good' date=' but they dont do it for me. i havent played the 57 plus though[/quote']

I agree Fenn. There are some guys who want to replace their BB's with aftermarket pups.

My BB's (1 & 2) are amazing!...I wouldnt even consider replacing them. I had them measured

and if memory serves me correctly the neck pup was 7.69k and the bridge was 8.25k.

Perfect for my style of music.

I really think Gibson got the PAF sound right when they introduced the BB series of pickups.

Pardon me for living 1319' date=' I have seen a few historics come out of the custom shop with 57 classics. Why jump on me with such a defensive comment? You know this forum is supposed to be a place where one can go and mingle with common interests, it not meant for critisizing....... I guess cwness was right when he warned me about all the"know it alls" here. Well sometimes you just can't have it all.

[/quote']

Whoa! Hold up a sec there!

I definitely did not have the intention of jumping at you and I sincerely apologize if it came across like that.

What I said, I meant as a fact, like Fenn said it depends on the year,

I just assumed that it was a fairly recent one, after the BB came out. So I just figured it would have the BB's and not 57's, although I know previous years had it.

When I said save a few models, I still meant recent recent times.

Sorry if it came across as though I were jumping at you.

And believe me, I am definitely not a know it all, I don't pretend to be....so I hope I didn't come off like that either.

• 9 years later...