Gibson Brands Forums

kirk hammet, what do you guys make of him?

S t e v e

i like him, iv'e seen metallica live and he and james never fail to impress...but on the flip side i sometimes feel that he is a bit dare i say "overated" when i know that there are plenty of "bedroom" guitarists out there that would eat him for brekkie, but then i guess he is in the public eye and they aint...:-k , but i have full respect for the man as he pulls off some stuff that i struggle with :-k...

your thoughts?

just a little clip

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

metallica rocks...there is no other way to say it!

they rock...the intro alone to ride the lightning should persuade anyone that they do...

the fact that they single-handedly killed napster...is soooo not rock and roll though...so i give them an overall rating of a B to B- and only that low because of the napster incident...

I don't think he is overrated. Not a little bit. He is one of the best metal soloists in the business, with his own signature tone. And the decision of James / Lars to keep him on a very short leash for so many albums, was the worst they ever took in this band... Thank God they had the common sense to unleash him on Death Magnetic and they ended up with one of the best albums of their career. I particularly love this one:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Hammets not the best Metal Guitarist' date=' but he's good. He leans too heavily on the Wah for my taste.

He also proves that a great teacher doesn't make a great student, after all, he learned from Satriani.[/quote']

Plus a million! [thumbup]

I can't help but wonder what Metallica would have sounded like had they kept Mr. Mustaine.

hehe why? Metallica would not be Metallica and Megadeth would not be Megadeth.

3 strong personalities on a band of 4, and the next guy was mr. Burton not to be messed with, if they did not kick Mustaine out they would have imploded and collapsed worse than Guns n' Roses.

I like him alright' date=' but I can't help but wonder what Metallica would have sounded like had they kept Mr. Mustaine. But it's o.k., because I LOVE Megadeth, Metallica's not bad either[cool']

I honestly don't think Lars and Hetfield could have kept up with Mustaine much longer, judging by the players he had later. I just don't see Lars playing Holy Wars or Take No Prisoners, or James trading leads on Hangar 18.

hehe why? Metallica would not be Metallica and Megadeth would not be Megadeth.

3 strong personalities on a band of 4' date=' and the next guy was mr. Burton not to be messed with, if they did not kick Mustaine out they would have imploded and collapsed worse than Guns n' Roses.[/quote']

True, true, but I bet they would have put out some kick*** stuff before they did. Sometimes turmoil in a band is good for the music, take Cream for example[biggrin]

omg you guys....now this is a thread I like to see...

I think Kirk is a great guitar player and he's not full of himself. He's a very quiet man and likes to keep to himself. He's a modest all around guy and that makes him more to the liking. Yes he does get carried away with the wah but that's Kirk.

Him and Hetfield are the dynamic duo in my books and can rip it up. I still think Kirk has never shown his true playing abilty to anyone except maybe his close family. His Passion makes him one of the best musicians out there.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert back when the were promtiong Kill Em All. My first concert ever and it was the best....ok I think I was there....had to much beverages and um other stuff lmao

True' date=' true, but I bet they would have put out some kick*** stuff before they did. Sometimes turmoil in a band is good for the music, take Cream for example[biggrin']

Well, Metallica DID put out some kick*** stuff...and they still do.

You mean Kill 'em All, ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets could have been better?

Maybe Mustaine would have killed himself drinking if he stayed in Metallica.

Eh...

He's okay I guess.

[biggrin] :D

Mustaine woulda gotten his *** beat every day if I had to share a van, gear, stage, or hotel room with him.

He was the most insufferable little cxnt I ever saw, and every interview with him since has reinforced that.

I'm sure he's mellowed with age.

Hammet was fully aware what that sorta behavior would get him with James and Lars, so he became the

passive little worm that he is, or maybe already was - though I'll give him his due playing leads.

Kirk can do some catchy stuff. Probably based on what Cliff taught him. Is he the best? No. Scandinavians are the best when it comes to metal IMO. Kirk is a bit of a space cadet in person. Not all there. I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he was just tired from touring when I met him. He is a nice guy though. He's good to put up w/ the sh!t between Hetfield and Ulrich.

I'm not a fan but I surely give him credit for doing what he does. He's far from the best but I agree that the Scandinavians and also the Germans are very talented players. I personally like John Norum, Swede....... you can't take anything away from Uli Roth for that matter, he was way ahead of his time. Schenker is also no slouch if he can ever get over his divorce and move forward. But the guy I like the most is the down unda dude Frank Gambale...... master of the sweeping technique, he's my pick for top 3 guitar players in the world. I'm not a jazz/fusion player but I have to tell ya that I have worked on his technique since 1990 and I surely wish I had a sixth finger on my left hand. The guy is amazing. Even EVH has taken private lessons from him. IMHO.

1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst

1965 Gibson Les Paul JR/SG Polaris White (refinished)

2005 Gibson Les Paul Junior Vintage Sunburst

2007 Gibson Explorer Pro Heritage Cherry

2007 Gibson Les Paul Junior Double Cut Nashville Satin White (GOTW, 400 made)

2007 Gibson Melody Maker Joan Jett Series White

2008Gibson SG Classic Heritage Cherry

2009 Gibson Nighthawk Trans Amber Limited Run (350)

1978 Fender Stratocaster Yellow

1974 Marshall MK II 50 watt head

1974 Marshall 4x12 1960 Bass Lead, 25w Celestian Greenback 16 ohm

1976 Marshall 4x12 1960 Base Lead, 25w Celestian Brownback 16 ohm Ipswitch

1978 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 Silver Face

2006 Crown DA-75 Power Amp

2004 Genz Benz 2x12 G-Flex Ported Cabinet

1985 ENGL Model 620 Tube Pre Amp

2007 TC Electronics D-TWO

2006 Lexicon MX200

2001 Roland XP-30 Synthesizer

Archived