Gibson Brands Forums

What is the psychology?

Hall

The psychology is good. If you don't need a CP, then don't get one. I, after years of pulling backwards, bought and maintain a pay-as-you-go TracFone. I got it for safety reasons on the road. Payphones are nearly extinct and the C.B. thing wasn't happening.

People, mostly kids, belly ache and moan about going over their minutes talking, or texting, or downloading... Feh! My phone does one thing and does it moderately well. I can make and take phone calls. It doesn't keep my calendar. It doesn't take crappy pictures. It costs me $7.00/ month for more minutes than I can use. Two of my children have seen the light and replaced at least one of their expensive, all-the-bells-and-whistles phones for a TracFone.

If you don't need a cell phone, don't get one. If you don't need a digital camera, don't get one. If you need digital audio software.. get it.

This is version 4 of the Gibson forum. There were 253 members, three categories and no pics when I first came. Now it's 13,000 members and without pics, my participation is virtually nil. Hell, they dropped nearly 4,000 info posts of mine from the old days. But, I just can't bring myself to get into posting pics. Yet, I'll go downstairs to the studio and run two versions of Pro Tools and an external board. Talk about shaking one's head and feeling uncool. This situation has gone beyond logic to me. Psychic Forum Stubborness Syndrome? I dunno.

The way I see it posting pics is just a way for members here to connect at a different level, part of a conversation if you will. Not necessarily the most meaninful of conversations either.

I just bought a $150 camera that takes great pics including the panoramic I have in my signature. Its fun.

Thanks guys. Weak topic to most, I realize. I think we sometimes forget to do the, "appreciate it" thing regardless ever since the forum has became a, Kong. If I try and hang in on the forum, I'll find a camera and figure the trip out for posting.

Psychology or not, if you DO get a cell phone with a camera make sure it has either 1.) removable memory card ability, or 2.) a usb cable with drivers so that your computer will recognize it. The first is the easiest. I sell cell phones, so I have a pretty powerful blackberry, the camera is not great but that's because a camera without a shutter cannot adjust lighting properly, there are an extremly small number of cell phones out there that CAN do this and most of them aren't in North America.

I would say if I was in your position I would just drop the 100$ or so on a basic digital camera, Cannon, Nikon and Fuji all make great entry level products. You also don't need anything over 5.0 mega pixels, unless you're blowing the photo size way up to like, poster levels. A 1 or 2 gigabyte memory card will more than take care of your storage needs, and most camera shops and big box stores on comission are eager to throw one in if they think you're willing to walk out on the deal and find another sale. All in all having a digital camera is always a good investment for personal, family, vacation, or hilarious reasons. Especially on a forum where everyone wants everyone else to "post pics of gear" on a regular basis. That's just my two cents, don't be a technofobe!

I don't have a Cell Phone.

I have 7 computers, decent digital camera, synths, samplers, sequencers, I write aftermarket software for Band-in-a-Box & Microsoft SongSmith, and I have plenty of other high-tech gadgets.

But when I'm not in the home/office, I don't want to be bothered.

It's not the technology that I'm opposed to. I'm not afraid of nuking my brain cells. I spend most of my time in the home/office except when I'm gigging or doing something else that I don't want to be interrupted with (even if it's laying around on the beach).

Although I'd like some of those cool iPhone apps without the phone ;-)

Notes

I finally broke down last September (after my car stranded me) and bought a cellphone. It's a 7-11 phone, Nokia SpeakEasy, cost me $59.00, and no contract. I buy gift cards for it in the amounts I want. So far it's cost me $25.00! I figure the phone is there for ME, I am not there for the phone. I use it minimally, if I'm running late for work, etc. I don't need internet on my phone because I have my computer at home and at work.

I did buy a digi camera a few years back and I love it. It has made my life EASIER. And that's what it's all about for me.

What's Pro Tools?

I finally broke down last September (after my car stranded me) and bought a cellphone. It's a 7-11 phone' date=' Nokia SpeakEasy, cost me $59.00, and no contract. I buy gift cards for it in the amounts I want. So far it's cost me $25.00! I figure the phone is there for ME, I am not there for the phone. I use it minimally, if I'm running late for work, etc. I don't need internet on my phone because I have my computer at home and at work.

I did buy a digi camera a few years back and I love it. It has made my life EASIER. And that's what it's all about for me.

What's Pro Tools?[/quote']

Karen,

Very simply put, it is an oft professional used multitrack software recording studio program with an interface for your instruments. Many versions, and now getting seriously complicated to use. You can do virtually anything with the program to create your music, mix down and burn to disc. That is why I have to laugh at myself for mastering the use of Pro Tools and yet be unwilling to buy a digital camera, learn its use and then post pictures of my guitars, etc. on the forum. I just have a real problem taking on another tech task no matter how practical. Note: Just this minute received an email from my niece in St. Augustine with a digital photo of her brand new baby daughter. Ironic, no? [cool]

Steve

Karen' date='

Very simply put, it is an oft professional used multitrack software recording studio program with an interface for your instruments. Many versions, and now getting seriously complicated to use. You can do virtually anything with the program to create your music, mix down and burn to disc. That is why I have to laugh at myself for mastering the use of Pro Tools and yet be unwilling to buy a digital camera, learn its use and then post pictures of my guitars, etc. on the forum. I just have a real problem taking on another tech task no matter how practical. Note: Just this minute received an email from my niece in St. Augustine with a digital photo of her brand new baby daughter. Ironic, no? [blink

Steve

Awwww..... I wonder what technology will be available when your neice's daughter is a teenager?

So if you can master Pro Tools, then it's not a 'fear-of-technology' thing for you. You simply haven't had the desire to own a camera, right? They are simple to use. Mine is an entry level one, Canon A410 I think. Point, click and upload. I just take the memory card out of the camera and stick it in the computer. Right click on the pictures and send it to my documents. Voila!

I have to go check out this Pro Tools thing [cool]

Awwww..... I wonder what technology will be available when your neice's daughter is a teenager?

So if you can master Pro Tools' date=' then it's not a 'fear-of-technology' thing for you. You simply haven't had the desire to own a camera, right? They are simple to use. Mine is an entry level one, Canon A410 I think. Point, click and upload. I just take the memory card out of the camera and stick it in the computer. Right click on the pictures and send it to my documents. Voila!

I have to go check out this Pro Tools thing [cool

Pro Tools, is the only reason I got into computers, re: "upload"? Photo accounts? Where is the input on my upstairs PC I use for everything beyond recording. I am cyber ignorant beyond Pro Tools. [blink]

Archived