Gibson Brands Forums

Which should I buy - Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

NeoConMan

Guitar Hero is cool if it is only one kid.

If there are more, it's Rock Band all the way.

They are essentially the same game, with RB providing for more instruments (Bass, Guitar, Drums and a vocalist).

I've played with my kids, and it is a fun game as long as you don't try and keep time like you would in a band. It's a game... press the buttons when the lites flash, not when the bass drum thumps.... and it's a lot harder than you think if you've played in a band. /chuckle

Being the vocalist can offer a certain amount of voice training, too.

We had both GH and RB... GH was a great novelty, but was dropped imediately by the kids when they got RB...

Just my/our experience with them [angry]

I played my friends Guitar Hero on Medium and it was kinda fun. I put it on hard and wanted to throw the thing against the wall and just play the Damned Song on a Guitar (it was Woman by Wolfmother, cool song easy to learn on the guitar).

That was a couple years ago, seems like Rock Star got more popular last winter. But the tides could have turned by now.

I will say, it turned on a whole new generation of Gamers to Classic Rock and good Guitar Work. I was worried that bands like Kansas and Mountain would be long forgotten by now, but thanks to Guitar Hero they have new life. I know it's made it easier on the Weekend Cover Bands, we can play a much more eclectic and diverse sets because those games feature a lot of flip side stuff, not just the expected radio safe tunes.

Back on topic, Neo, maybe you should sign into a Chuck E. Cheese forum and see what the buzz is.

Guitar Hero is cool if it is only one kid.

If there are more' date=' it's Rock Band all the way.

They are essentially the same game, with RB providing for more instruments (Bass, Guitar, Drums and a vocalist).

I've played with my kids, and it is a fun game as long as you don't try and keep time like you would in a band. It's a game... press the buttons when the lites flash, not when the bass drum thumps.... and it's a lot harder than you think if you've played in a band. /chuckle

Being the vocalist can offer a certain amount of voice training, too.

We had both GH and RB... GH was a great novelty, but was dropped imediately by the kids when they got RB...

Just my/our experience with them [biggrin

Same here, it actually is a lot of fun if you just keep in mind its a game. Everyone was rolling in the floor this past Christmas when my wife, kids and myself did a show for the family.

Both games offer the full band experience now by the way......they are pretty much the same. Look up the track lists for the ones you are considering and buy the one that has more songs you like (or the kid). [biggrin]

Its a fun party game but grows tiresome fairly quickly when you play a real guitar I will say that....

For my money its Rock Band.

We have Beatles RB it's a lot of fun for everybody. Most every one knows some Beatles songs

In fact we gather together and have a sorta "Idol" karaoke thing.

We have 2 real guitars and switch players . We play along with the "Beatles complete" song books I and II as real music guides and the game players chooses a Beatles song from RB and "we" find the sheet music and play along in real time as the gamers or "us real musicians" try to "keep up". Its great fun IMO..

My son and his friends have used Rock Band for a fund raiser at school functions for the last few years. They charge $1/song/position for anything but the most difficult- that costs extra.

FM's post triggered the thought, though, that there are also songs I would never have heard and bands I'd have never been exposed to had it not been for Rock Band.

To wit:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Also... I heard this on Rock Band before the radio!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

So there's that, too Neo [biggrin]

(thanks Shred... I was not aware they added the rest of the band to GH!)

Yeah, I hear ya TG.

Problem with kids like these is that they see GH/RB as a game and a game only.

They really have no interest in the work it takes to actually learn an instrument.

The music doesn't mean that much to them.

But the game sure is fun!

[-([angry]

Neo' date=' maybe you should sign into a Chuck E. Cheese forum and see what the buzz is. [/quote']

Hah!

That's a riot!

Me in a Chuck E. Cheese forum!!!

Wonder how long before I got banned there?

:D/

Hmmmm....

All those young mommies....

Nope, Mrs. Neo would kick my ***.

=P~

I guess it depends on the kid.

I was never incredibly interested in the games, not because they're ruining music, which they aren't, but because of the music that's in them. It's primarily modern rock, and I don't care much for it.

I do have The Beatles Rock Band, as well as LEGO Rock Band (I'm a LEGO nerd... I haven't even played the game yet, but it has a lot of older songs that I do like). I have Guitar Hero III and it's not as much fun, because I don't know as much of the music.

Problem with kids like these is that they see GH/RB as a game and a game only.

That sounds like a good thing to me. Guitar players (especially on the Internet) seem to think it's a threat to the music industry.

Well as much as I dislike guitar hero because of the fact that it makes a lot of kids believe that playing a guitar well is simple, I must say, if I had never played Guitar Hero a couple years ago, I never would have picked up a real guitar. I believe that it is actually a good inspiration for younger kids so that they can get into the music first, and then learn how to actually play it.

Hah!

That's a riot!

Me in a Chuck E. Cheese forum!!!

Wonder how long before I got banned there?

:D/

Hmmmm....

All those young mommies....

Nope' date=' Mrs. Neo would kick my ***.

:-k

[/quote']

Maybe for your own well being and the good of your marriage you should send someone else into the Chuck E. Cheese forum.:-k Much Safer for you and the Kids. [biggrin]

Neither one. Kids have way too many electronic games that accomplish absolutely nothing. Why give him a guitar shaped controller, making him 'think' he's making music.

I actually had a mother call to see if we taught 'Guitar Hero'.... uh.. no... we teach music. That's a video game.

Archived