Gibson Brands Forums

80's plastic Gibson guitar cases?

cwness

My studio came in the plastic case and I love it. The handle can't come off. lol

They are also very strong. I have jumped on it and surfed across the floor and

it doesn't hurt it one bit. It's the case I use when I take any of my LP's any where.

The question. Why did they stop making them? Did they have a problem with them

or something? Let's hear your thoughts.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

CW

Hey Duane

Is the dye problem only when it's new or is something to watch for all the

time. I have my wine red studio in it and have never seen anything on the

finish but it might be hard to see with that color. Thanks for the heads up.

CW

Well I should be a bit more clear about what transpired, especially when you leave a guitar in its case untouched for 20 odd years[blush]

But there have been some recent complaints about that some have had the lining dye bleed on to finishes..... Which is maybe why Gibson has moved to the white lining on some of its cases

Gibson should do like everyone else and just have SKB make their cases. They are great.

SKB makes a great injection molded flight case for Les Pauls that resemble a Pelican Case.... And it's fairly priced

My friend's Strat has a plastic case that is totally worthless. It's such a flimsy piece of crap. I have no idea what Fender was thinking. He just uses a gigbag because it's more sturdy. :D

I have a plastic Gator case for my SG. I feel very secure that the guitar is well protected in it. It's kindof like that Gibson case but maybe a little less robust. I've never used one of those old Gibson cases so I don't really know but they seem great.

I have two of them' date=' but you must be careful about the lining dye, due to it bleeding on the finish[angry']

I have one of those moulded cases with a blue lining . . . weren't they referred to as clam shell cases or chainsaw cases? It's getting a bit worn out, and the centre of gravity makes them very uncomfortable to carry for very long. But I did post one of my Les Paul's from Australia to England in it and the guitar was fine when it got here!

The plastic covers over the fasteners (which are quite big) tend to come off with time.

I bought a brand new Gibson case a couple of years ago (with a BLACK lining) and I put my 75 LP deluxe Goldtop that used to live in the moulded case into it to make it easier to carry, and I noticed that the dye from the new Gibson case started to bleed into the neck of my LP (which is actually maple), so I got another with a white lining.

I also bought a brand new Gibson 'The Paul' in about 1978/79 and it came in one of those moulded cases with a pink lining. It was a very good case, but sadly is long gone now.

Do you think the current cases are sub-par? I think they're great.

I don't see anything wrong with them, deepblue just said that not much thought goes into cases. I'm just saying that the cases are a crucial part in keeping the instrument safe and secure

all of the "newer" cases Ive had, well, they last for "awhile" but it isnt long before hinges or locks get bent, and the handle falls off........

it happened with the 59 les pauls, it happens with new les pauls, it is vintage correct! :D

but seriously, thoose molded plastic skb types are great, my brother has em for all his basses

Do you think the current cases are sub-par? I think they're great.

Wait till your handle falls off and then we'll see what you have to say. That why I made

this post. I see lots of problems with the cases. The handles, the dye, and the glue. The

80's case doesn't seem to have near the problems and they quit using them why. Probably

money but like Fred said when you pay a lot for a guitar should you also get a high quality

case with it?

CW

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a protector case that I have kept my old Sonex in and more recently, a cherry SG special from 2004, can anyone tell me what type of plastic the case is made from? I took my guitar out this week and all the nitro finish is checked very badly and flaking off the headstock, I was horrified! a luthier suggested to me that the case might be made of PVC and this reacted badly to the nitro, any ideas anyone? I must admit, the checking looks good on the body, but the headstock needs restoring. anyone else had a similar disaster?

Archived