Gibson Brands Forums

Strat Pics- kinda

Silenced Fred

COOL! I do remember a couple of these in possession friends. Great Necks' date=' ok Stock Pickups. Looks like yours is ripe for modding and making yours.

Can't wait to see what you make of it. [-([/quote']

I want to swap the pups, the neck is sweet. I stripped the finish off and it plays and feels so great! [flapper]

I want to change the bridge, like I talked about, I kinda want to put a bigsby, but I don't know how that would work (with string angle and all)

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated

yeah, I'd get rid of that Kahler (even though it says Fender, it's made by Kahler). Before they started using Floyd Rose lic. parts, Kahlers were Stiff, "Unmusical" Monsters.

The easy thing to do would be replace it with a new locking tremolo, there's a million good ones nowadays (back then there was only one Floyd Rose). I wouldn't be surprised if you got a Bigsby to work, won't know till you try. I have no experience with Bigsby's, so I'm talkin' outa my Hat on that one.

If you want to wire in a Tone Pot you could use one of those Stacked Pots, but then your Push/Pull option is off the table.

I don't like the Kahler, and I don't know if I want to go with a locking tremolo. I don't use it at all, and that's why I'm thinking either a bigsby (I have only ever seen one Strat with a bigsby before) or a hardtail.

I'm not worried about a tone knob, I'll just use the amp [crying]

I want this to be simple, and I am going to build a Strat using Warmoth neck and body, Wilkinson tremolo and I am undecided on pickups so far.

That'll keep you busy.

Yup. Modding this' date=' then save up the money, drop the 800 on parts for the Custom Strat build, then give the summer to that [crying I am still undecided whether to make one, or go with an American Standard, the options I am getting are really similar to that, and with the time costs, and for a grand, it comes with a case. We will see I guess

What you've got there is a mid-eighties MIJ Contemporary Strat.

If it's not too mucked about with...it's pretty collectable.

http://www.strat-central.com/japan.htm

(Scroll about 1/2 way down the page).

What do you mean collectible? Besides for finish wear, its good condition, and all original. What would it be worth. I didn't see what you meant...

SG Fan- Thanks, it is nice.

What do you mean collectible? Besides for finish wear' date=' its good condition, and all original. What would it be worth. I didn't see what you meant...[/quote']

Some people are big fans of 80's MIJ Fenders (check out the reviews on Harmony Central). Yours is a 1st version Contemporary...they usually go for $200-$500 on ebay depending on condition & interest. Yours is probably a pearl finish that's gone yellow. You'd need to find a collector though-most people (like you) just aren't that into them & ebay can be unpredictable at best.

It is pretty cool though!

Some people are big fans of 80's MIJ Fenders (check out the reviews on Harmony Central). Yours is a 1st version Contemporary...they usually go for $200-$500 on ebay depending on condition & interest. Yours is probably a pearl finish that's gone yellow. You'd need to find a collector though-most people (like you) just aren't that into them & ebay can be unpredictable at best.

It is pretty cool though!

Yeah' date=' I'm just gonna hold onto it for that money. Mod it, and enjoy it.

Maybe I should take it to Guitar Center, use it for Trade in... [confused

Maybe I should take it to Guitar Center' date=' use it for Trade in... [confused

I'd put it on ebay and hype it up and get a bidding war going for it. You might be surprised......

Best of luck.

Yeah' date=' I'm just gonna hold onto it for that money. Mod it, and enjoy it.

Maybe I should take it to Guitar Center, use it for Trade in... :-k [/quote']

Don't know it this helps-Tom DeLonge from Blink-182 used to use one. His signature Fender is pretty much the same thing.

That looks cool. Nice find for 2 bucks.

If you want a p90, you should go for a humbucker sized one.

Because there is no pickguard, the routing would be VERY apparant and very ugly. If you route it for a p90, the routing will show whether you use a p90 or a humbucker.

It would be cool to put a p90 in the neck position though.

Archived