Gibson Brands Forums

Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo ???????

suburude63

You have to be kidding me ! :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Aaron-Lewis-Southern-Jumbo.aspx

Gibsons CEO must be hanging out with Ambicrombie and Fitches CEO . Sell ripped up cargo shorts for $80 a pair ! Where did this guy come from .

The sad thing is there is a market for stupidity ! :)

As I said in my past post "Never Pay Retail" [blink]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW for all you guys wowed by this new Gibson marketing scheme !:- You can buy a real 50s aged

(but not aged in a shop) :- Southern Jumbo for $3000 less than the $8500 Gibsons asking. Plus Ill get someone neater than whats his name to sign it for you ! [cool]

Round 2.

Yep.

A few hit on this trend over here - http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30350

(Good thread Buc)

Personally, I don't care for most of the aged/tribute/designed by/signed stuff.

The profit margin is driving this kind of stuff, but I'm not sure the sales of this stuff is really helping the bottom line.

This shop in Nashville will age your guitar for a lot less:

http://dmsguitar.com/relic_gallery.php

In fact, if you scroll down three guitars to the Southern Jumbo in their gallery, it appears as though they relic'ed Aaron Lewis' new guitar. It looks the same as the one on the Gibson website, at least to me.

That said, I've never underestimated the stupidity of people who have more money than sense.

I agree with just about everything said on this thread. It's just not for me.

But isn't this the same issue as paying a premium for a car with metallic paint, or cream leather instead of black, or 17" alloys instead of 16"?

In a way, particularly given all the speculation concerning the future of Gibson, should we not be applauding the innovation? Gibson has a long and, on balance, successful track record in developing innovative products. It's part of the reason Gibson has brand loyalty. Some of us want to buy into it.

I think this particular guitar is overpriced and I'd never have one. But they will sell them I suspect and make a good turn on them. Hopefully that will help the overall cause.

I'm not against sig models at all. I still want a Pete Townshend SJ200 and a Larry Carlton ES335!

I would guess Fender has made money off their reliced (that word always looks like "re-liced," like somebody got lice again) guitars. And there is kind of a cottage industry out there doing it.

That said, I will have to say that my one complaint about the Epiphone IB'64 Texan I got a couple of weeks ago is that it just looks too damn new. My J-45 is only a '98 and I've taken pretty good care of it, but it still looks like it's got some years on it. The Texan has a very nice sound (gives the '45 a run for its money, in fact) but it should look older.

I would guess Fender has made money off their reliced (that word always looks like "re-liced' date='" like somebody got lice [i']again[/i]) guitars. And there is kind of a cottage industry out there doing it.

fender's road-worn series are a cool -looking bunch but it all machine. no surprise really. i put 3 teles sideXside at my local shop (L&M) and the wear patterns were all identical - similar to how they age jeans in a garment factory with the rips and fades all in the same places. the body and hardware looked neat but they took way too much laquer off the fretboard in an unrealistic pattern.

I've become fairly famous (within my own family) for playing covers of other stars tunes, just like Mr. Lewis does .... I'll sign my J45 Custom AND ship it to you for only $19,995.

NO, you can't have the hat! Don't even ask.

This must be one of the most bizzare things Gibson have ever done! Imagine the guitars you could have with 17K.

Aaron Lewis - who is he anyway?

"Aaron Lewis - who is he anyway?"

Some guy with many many tattoos ! [love] I have no Idea? Who really cares? #-o

"Imagine the guitars you could have with 17K."

You could have at least one of the guy in my avatars guitars! :- Wayne Henderson. [crying]

Did you guys read the people's comments on that Gibson page? They range from "WTF?!?" to "Aaron Lewis supports the troops so he is one of the greatest singers and guitarists who ever walked the planet." Frankly, I've heard of Staind (or however it is spelled) but I'd never heard of this guy. When I think of great acoustic guitarists, his name doesn't come up. In the video clip they have of him, it sounds like he's playing Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust." If you're pitching your guitar, jeez, come up with something original to play.

That said, this is one of those ideas that I think most of us look at and wonder how in the heck it ever got out of the pitch meeting. So all the Gibson execs are sitting around a table and somebody says, "Let's take someone not really well known in acoustic music circles, name a guitar after him, relic the instrument, then sell it for a price that is more than one-third of the U.S. median household income!"

And everyone sitting around the table yells, "Heck yeah!!"

I've never run a company, but even I have to wonder how an idea like this made it out of the room.

I'm thinking that the young people who may be fans of Lewis aren't going to be the ones who have that kind of dough to spend on the guitar. And the people who do have that kind of money aren't going to be dumb enough to buy it because let's face it -- and I don't mean to dis Aaron Lewis, whoever he is -- there is nothing Aaron Lewis has ever done that would make a signature guitar worth $17,200.

Aaron Lewis is actually quite talented. Someone needed to say it.

I just hate for his talent to go un-noticed simply because he's associated with an obviously over priced guitar.

So it all seems a little crazy .. so what?? I see crazy everyday.

I'm just sayin' .....

Aaron Lewis is actually quite talented. Someone needed to say it.

I just hate for his talent to go un-noticed simply because he's associated with an obviously over priced guitar.

So it all seems a little crazy .. so what?? I see crazy everyday.

I'm just sayin' .....

Listen lets get real here. Gibson comes out with a guitar 65 years ago its a great guitar ! The Southern Jumbo ! [cool]

They reissue it 5 tmes under a bunch of stars names at a reasonable price $3000-$4000 . Then in there infinite wisdom reissue the same guitar under somebodys name that most people who could afford the reissue havent got a clue who he is !

I mean c mon really who is going to pay $7000 -$8000 for a scratched up "New" guitar !!? Let alone $17000

There are tens of thousands of people who are talented out there BTW

its just that Gibsons marketing dept. and CEO are not ! [lol]

There are tens of thousands of people who are talented out there BTW

its just that Gibsons marketing dept. and CEO are not ! [cool]

True Dat' ... but I wonder who's really to blame here? Mr. Lewis or Gibson? I'm sure Aaron was simply approached with an opportunity that would make any of us just melt ... but I doubt if he suggested an MSRP.

Yes' date=' these particular guitars are TOTALLY crazy! Honestly, NO, Aaron Lewis is not (in my opinion).

Yes, he should probably tell Gibson that [u']THEY[/u] are crazy since they obviously value his opinion so much.

I'm not a fan of anyone but I do respect "talent".. and even more importantly, "genuine effort".

Archived