Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 True Vintage - should I trade j200 for it?

rossnuk

Hey - I happened to stumble into my local guitar shop the other day and what should be on the wall is a second hand j-45 True Vintage 2009 for £1699.

I played it and was blown away - I have put a deposit down and will have to sell my j200 standard (vintage sunburst 2004) to buy it.

Is this wise - I do like the j200 but the j45 TV has way more depth and character to the sound - not a scratch on it either and barely played so I would save at least £400 over a new one. its hard to resist.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? I cant afford to keep the j200 and get the j45 TV - so that's the situation.

"I played it and was blown away - has way more depth and character to the sound"

Rossnuk, I think that you've answered your own question. However, you might want to just A/B your J200 against it, then, you'll know for sure.

Best of luck.

"I played it and was blown away - has way more depth and character to the sound"

Rossnuk' date=' I think that you've answered your own question. However, you might want to just A/B your J200 against it, then, you'll know for sure.[/quote']

+1

Let us know what you decide. [blush]

played my j200 beside it - they are of course completely different - maple v mahogany -

Tricky one - its such a good buy is really why I am thinking about it.

I have D'addario Phosphor bronze 12's on my j200 and find them a bit bottom endy and boomy. Heard those Elixir Nano -webs are excellent on j200's so maybe I should go try them on it first.

That's the question there - maple vs hog

Are you lookin' for bright or mellow?

The strings can change things a bit, but the two tonewoods definitely have different sounds.

BTW, I just put Elixer on my J200 and they evened out the brightness a bit and mellowed the bottom a tad - to my ears.

Call it what you want- GAS, boredom, time to move on, the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...you have a guitar you like, you met one you might like better and you can't have both.

I always move on. Ive gone through 40-50 guitars in 50 years, kept a few , learned a lot, including no regrets- just od it.

If I think about it I might want a few guitars back that I had long ago, but I never would have learned that if I hadn't swapped, traded, bought and sold my way through many guitars.

Get the J-45TV.

I love my J-185TV

I played it and was blown away - I have put a deposit down and will have to sell my j200 standard (vintage sunburst 2004) to buy it.

Bummer .............Ross!

If it wasn't for the fact I have just shelled out £2K on 4 new tyres, new front shocks and fixing a major oil leak I'd be PM you about that J200.

Now anyone want to give me 6 lotto numbers for tonights draw!

Ross IMHO you can't make a right decision!

Nor a wrong one!!!

Just one that suits you at the time

Do you know what the top is on the J45? (sitka or adi?)

I have a J45 TV with an adi top and an SJ-200.

If i had to pick one just to look at all the time it'd be a tough call, the SJ200 might eek out the win, but i'm not sure.

If i had to pick one to play all the time it'd be the J45 hands down, and it does win pretty much every night. Make the trade! Get it and play the sap out of it!

It's amazing how close the TV gets to the real Banner Gibson. I brought my True Vintage to a/b against several Banners. It held it's own. Especially in

the playability dept; there's something to be said for a silky smooth, nicely-finished modern neck as opposed to the huge, and typically worn necks on the true Banners (more like fretting on an oar from a lifeboat for the Titanic, cut length-wise, w/ frets installed). The rest of the difference in sound could just about be made up with player technique and string selection (Elixir polys, for example).

I came home w/ a 1940's banner headstock J-45 to continue to listen to the difference; it's close. Hats off to Gibson.

There are worse decisions to have to make. Enjoy the search.

Yeah guys - think I am going to pull the trigger on the j45 TV. Wish I could keep the j200 but that's life.

As a matter of concern - the j45 TV is ridiculously light - I mean the lightest I have ever hel - due to the skinny bracing etc.

Hopefully I am wrong in thinking this but wouldn't this mean that the J45 TV will not stand up to stresses over the years - wouldn't it be more likely to crack and fall to bits since it seems so light and not as well built as the standard models.

Hopefully I am wrong? Anyone?

Get both!! Then you'll have the best of each of these fairly different tonal spectra.

Fred

I agree, very different voices. If I had to part with one though - it would be my J-200. I just like the SJ better. Even though I have owned it alot of years, every time I pull it out of the case and hit a big fat A7 chord, I just mutter "yowzah!" to myself.

As a matter of concern - the j45 TV is ridi****usly light - I mean the lightest I have ever hel - due to the skinny bracing etc.

Hopefully I am wrong in thinking this but wouldn't this mean that the J45 TV will not stand up to stresses over the years - wouldn't it be more likely to crack and fall to bits since it seems so light and not as well built as the standard models.

I think that only the test of time will be able to answer this question. My J-45 TV weighs in at just under 4 lbs. I suppose that qualifies as extremely light - I've picked up few guitars that feel lighter. I'm sure that there are some smaller-bodied guitars that weigh less, but I doubt that they are "built" much more lightly. That said, I've also played a few vintage guitars that were similarly light as a feather, and they have seemingly stood the test of time quite well. For what it's worth, I've been using medium gauge strings (.13 - .56) on my TV with no problems. So while it is built lightly, that doesn't necessarily equate to it being built weakly. In the case of my guitar, I think the lighter build helps make the guitar more lively (which I can actually feel when I play it) and also contributes to the tone of the guitar (which I really dig).

That's not to say that a guitar with a heavier build can't sound great, because obviously they can. Some guitars simply defy logic and sound great contrary to the build, materials, etc. In the end, it comes down the the individual guitar. As long as a guitar has the tone I'm looking for, I wouldn't reject it based on its weight, one way or the other.

All the best,

Guth

Interesting topic that shows the quest never stops.

I don't believe in one guitar only for lifetime. I was happy with each acoustic Gibson I had (J45 RW, Songwriter, Hummingbird TV)... but I still wonder if I could have a J45 TV or a J200...:-

Yeah guys - think I am going to pull the trigger on the j45 TV. Wish I could keep the j200 but that's life.

As a matter of concern - the j45 TV is ridi****usly light - I mean the lightest I have ever hel - due to the skinny bracing etc.

Hopefully I am wrong? Anyone?

J200s are heavy- big body, maple, long scale. J45s are lighter than that but I wouldn't say its light weight of the braces that make it so- braces just don't weigh much. A nice light weight Gibson is a good sign. I don't think I've ever seen one under built, too light for daily wear and tear. I have seen plenty of old ones with cracks in them- more likely from a rough life than being built too light. Most of the oldies with their cracks fixed up are killer guitars, all tone and mojo and very much worth keeping and playing forever.

That's not to say that a guitar with a heavier build can't sound great' date=' because obviously they can. Some guitars simply defy logic and sound great contrary to the build, materials, etc. In the end, it comes down the the individual guitar. As long as a guitar has the tone I'm looking for, I wouldn't reject it based on its weight, one way or the other.[/quote']

I have a professional luthier friend that always says "You never know what you've got until you string it up". You can use all the best woods & follow all the build steps perfectly, but you just don't know til you're done. "It may come alive.. it may not".

One thing's for absolute sure... BIG $$$ does not always = GREAT guitar

Archived