Gibson Brands Forums

"They're all the same guitar" conundrum

pippy

Following on from a brief couple of posts on another thread I've just spent a very enjoyable few hours with Flight959 and five Les Pauls - two Historic re-issues (R9 and R0), a Slash TBSB Sig and a pair of '1960 Classics'.

What came across most strongly was how different five guitars, all in essence built to the same design, can sound and feel so very different from each other.

This is the proof, if proof were needed, of why we 'must have' more than one LP!

And some more Telecasters. I'll let you know what the differences are...

:)

Cheers, Neo.

I've always loved the 'Broad/No/Tele-caster' concept but the only one I've ever owned, I'm sorry to relate, left me disappointed. As it was a USA '61(?) Tele Deluxe re-issue (the one with the bound body) the quality was superb but I couldn't get much more than the stereotypical brash Tele 'twang' or else a slightly muddier version of a Strat without the option of the latter's o-o-p sound.

That was 25 years ago and I now realise the problem was my lack of playing skill rather than any shortcomings of the guitar its'self.

I'd love to have a really good reason to buy a Butterscotch '52 RI...

How much do the various Tele's vary in sound? As much as LP's....?

:-

Following on from a brief couple of posts on another thread I've just spent a very enjoyable few hours with Flight959 and five Les Pauls - two Historic re-issues (R9 and R0)' date=' a Slash TBSB Sig and a pair of '1960 Classics'.

What came across most strongly was how different five guitars, all in essence built to the same design, can sound and feel so very different from each other.

This is the proof, if proof were needed, of why we 'must have' more than one LP![/quote']

+1 But, It's pointless to have more than one of the same guitar. I'm fine with like more than 1 Lp but Come On, 3 Les Paul Customs!? [-([lol]

Pippy' date=' was the Tele re-issue top loaded ? It's generally accepted this results in a thinner sound.[/quote']

No; it was rear-strung through the steel ferrules.

As I said it was probably just my lack of understanding of how to get the best from the instrument.

OK' date=' you've talked me into it. I'll buy another.[/quote']

No, no. No need to thank me...:-

more than 1 of the same body style is acceptable but same electronics? Hmmm...that's were I cross the line. I just want 1 LP custom. No 2 cuts of wood are the same though. Especially when it comes to hand made guitars.

But that was one of the interesting aspects; none of the five shared the same electronics.

The R0' date=' being a '95, had '57 Classics, whereas the R9 had Burstbuckers and the CTS 500k pots and bumblebee caps which both have worked differently.

The Slash Sig has different pups and very different circuitry which, allied to the piezo bridge-pup made it very different from all the rest.

The two '1960 Classics' should have been most similar but whereas the '91 is stock the '95 has had all its electrics swapped out; a pair of Seymour Duncans and different pots and caps.

The other thing that was clear was the difference in unplugged tone, but that's a long story in its'self...

How about a weight relieved one...

and a chambered one...

Funny you should say that...

The Classics are both weight relieved I believe. Not sure about the Slash Sig.

Next time Flight promises to bring his Goddess which he says isn't so much 'chambered'; more like 'acoustic'...

I don't know the weights of Flight's pair he brought but mine are almost identical; they only vary by 4 ounces between the lot; the Historic being 2 oz lighter than the '91 and 2 oz heavier than the '95.

As we're posting snaps...

Gangofthree.jpg

Rich, That custom has to be and will always be my favourite custom here.... Loving those super 600 inlays (Correct?)

Pippy,

I will bring the Goddess next time... I think you will be surprised in how much of an awesome little instrument she is. I will also pick up the 96 Special and bring that too...

Was loving your amp and if you dont mind I'll bring mine next time and evict your neighbours.... :) [biggrin]

Cheers Phil..

Regards

Simon

Yes' date=' it DOES rock as good as it looks.[/quote']

Always was gorgeous! (Super 400?).

I'll send you my address so you can join in with the festivities next time...

Was loving your amp and if you dont mind I'll bring mine next time and evict your neighbours...

Excellent stuff. If the weather's nice we can play in the garden!

Always was gorgeous!

I'll send you my address so you can join in with the festivities next time...

Excellent stuff. If the weather's nice we can play in the garden!

Oh can we can we...You got a swing oh can we..... Busy learning your tune...Does Green come in after a short intro??

Oh can we can we...You got a swing oh can we..... Busy learning your tune...Does Green come in after a short intro??

LOL! The swing takes no prisoners - all at your own risk!

Danny Kirwan' date=' on lead, starts one half-beat before the band [i']ensemble[/i]. The whole track is Kirwan - Greeny plays rhythm throughout

LOL! The swing takes no prisoners - all at your own risk!

Danny Kirwan' date=' on lead, starts one half-beat before the band [i']ensemble[/i]. The whole track is Kirwan - Greeny plays rhythm throughout

Cool.... Want me to learn the solo too?

Regards

Archived