swleary

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
O.K. As far as metal goes' date='

Sabbath

Priest

Maiden

But Metallica are a strong fourth, IMO. They helped kill hair metal, God bless them for that!!![/quote']

As far as pioneers of metal and taking hard rock to the next level. I think Sabbath, Priest & Maiden fit the bill. As far as the best? There is alot of good tunes to choose from IMHO.

Rewd.

Hey demOOn, Why do you knock EMG's so much? They do exactly what they were designed to do. When they first came out they were hotter than sliced bread. Alot of good musicians make good music using EMG's. I don't consider them the best but they do a decent job and not everyone is using an 81 either so as far as to say they suck I regretfully have to disagree.

Rewd.

Hey demOOn' date=' Why do you knock EMG's so much? They do exactly what they were designed to do. When they first came out they were hotter than sliced bread. Alot of good musicians make good music using EMG's. I don't consider them the best but they do a decent job and not everyone is using an 81 either so as far as to say they suck I regretfully have to disagree.

Rewd.

[/quote']

[confused] No no no no no! don't open that can of worms! Just read my sig. That's all you need to know.

I will also give props where they are due....Iron Maiden is definitely one of the best metal bands that there will ever be....led by Bruce of course.

Also, Metallica was approached to do the documentary. It was not seen as another way to make money. For all you nay sayers who say they sold out, if Metallica made an album where supposed fans made the decisions, it would suck. The reason they are respected and got where they are today is because they followed their rules since day 1. So they wanted to work with Bob Rock. What's the big deal? It didn't turn them into Motley Crue. DM was produced by Rick Reuben and it didn't turn them into Public Enemy.

Hey demOOn' date=' Why do you knock EMG's so much? They do exactly what they were designed to do. When they first came out they were hotter than sliced bread. Alot of good musicians make good music using EMG's. I don't consider them the best but they do a decent job and not everyone is using an 81 either so as far as to say they suck I regretfully have to disagree.

Rewd.

[/quote']

Is this guy serious?

Vince Gill, Steve Lukather, Bobby Vega, and David Gilmour use EMGs and they seem to like them an awful lot.

They have uses that range far beyond extreme, over-the-top distortion. I've played a few guitars with EMGs, and I have to say that in some situations I think that they have their uses. I played a Guild Bluesbird with EMGs and I thought it sounded great. They're very articulate and smooth, and I liked the way they sounded, even if they seemed a little sterile (of course, I was playing "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" or something along those lines, so maybe it was good that they were a little sterile.)

But hey, dem00n, if you don't like EMGs, that's OK. They don't sound good to everyone.

:-s

Also' date=' Metallica was approached to do the documentary. [/quote']

They didn't say no though did they...???...hmmm :-k

I was in a UK band that had a number 1 album in Europe (don't ask! was just hired to bash out chords) and they went through several line up changes...the music press wanted to know about the line up change etc...but the first they knew about the new line up was when they came to the gig with the punters....never made a doco about it...never moaned about file sharing not making them even richer than they already are....

Metallica just aren't...err..Metal....

More plastic.....[confused]

But if you want to buy Lars a new painting (he collect's fine art!!) that's up to you.....

is there a band performing at the moment that are better than metallica live?...i don't think so [-(

I'm assuming he meant "Metal" band.

SABBATH is HEAVY' date=' but JUDAS PRIEST is METAL.[/quote]

What? [cool][biggrin]

Metallica & Judas Priest.

I've seen `em both.

Then and now.

And IMO Judas Priest blows them away.

Judas Priest has nothing left to prove as a Heavy Metal band.

That's why they can take chances without worrying about what's commercial, or popular.

They just did a concept album based on Nostradamus.

A gutsy, ballsy move that Metallica probably wouldn't dare try even when they're finally around as long as Priest has been.

Look, I like Metallica. I grew up in the Bay Area.

I've seen `em in clubs, theaters, arenas, and stadiums.

But, to say that there's no better Metal band playing live these days is a tall order as long as guys like Priest(Along with others) are still making records and touring.

Cliff Burton died = Metallica died

This is only my opinion and I'm not here to influence anyone but nothing compares to the early stuff.

Early Metallica blows Megadeath away.

Megadeath is m/>.<m/

...but Metallica in the Cliff days was like...Mozart.

Metallica without Cliff is like...a shadow.

I'd sooner see Megadeath now.

I am not a metal fan, but I respect the key leaders.

What I do know, is that anyone with the right amp and effects can sound sh$t hot to most people for a few gigs, if they know how to impress and get the settings right. It does not mean that they are talented.

The key, is rhythm, timing and melody. Nothing has changed in music history. All the legends have that, including the good metal artists.

The exception is the ones that achieve this using computer technology, because they cant sing in key, nor do they have any rhythm or melody in their bones.

Live - Thats when the fakers get found out, metal or non-metal.

Thrash metal?.....Anyone can fake that - it is true TRASH

Just my views.

This is only my opinion and I'm not here to influence anyone but nothing compares to the early stuff.

Megadeath is m/>.<m/

Burton had a hand in the 'sound' & songwriting (he was a HUGE Thin Lizzy fan' date=' and it came through in the tunes). But Justice still had that consistent Metallica edge they were known for.

The driving force behind their shift in style was firing Flemming Rasmussen and selling out with Bob Rock. Whoever said "but they didn't sound like Crue did they?" misses my point. They hired Rock with the express intent of handing him the reins and abandoning all stylistic/creative/artistic backbone they had in order to [u']sell records[/u] and sell records only.

Megadeath is m/>.<m/

Burton had a hand in the 'sound' & songwriting (he was a HUGE Thin Lizzy fan' date=' and it came through in the tunes). But Justice still had that consistent Metallica edge they were known for.

The driving force behind their shift in style was firing Flemming Rasmussen and selling out with Bob Rock. Whoever said "but they didn't sound like Crue did they?" misses my point. They hired Rock with the express intent of handing him the reins and abandoning all stylistic/creative/artistic backbone they had in order to [u']sell records[/u] and sell records only.

Agreed.

I look at things this way and I hope I'm not getting to mushy for everyone k.

As people we grow, our music grows with us, our lives change and we become better people. Metallica has only grown as a band and has not stayed in the creative rut that some bands are still in....I didn't name any so no jumping on me just yet lol.

If a true a metallica, AC/DC, Megadeth fan etc. can not grow with the band then maybe it's time to look elsewhere for your musical pleasure. This is only my point of view #-o

I'll be a true Metallica fan until the day I die.....could be tomorrow lol

Dream Theater?

Important metal band?

What books are you reading?

Trying to re-hijack the thread (#-o to Scott!)' date=' I don't think that DT have been appreciated to the proper extend...yet. They're about 20-30 years ahead of theit time. They have changed Metal for ever. But we're not gonna see that for the time being... Remember that Black Sabbath were only copied by bands like Candlemass in the early... 1990's! Well, progress and understanding of a breakthrough takes time...[cool

I am not a metal fan' date=' but I respect the key leaders.

What I do know, is that anyone with the right amp and effects can sound sh$t hot to most people for a few gigs, if they know how to impress and get the settings right. It does not mean that they are talented.

[b']The key, is rhythm, timing and melody. Nothing has changed in music history. All the legends have that, including the good metal artists.[/b]

The exception is the ones that achieve this using computer technology, because they cant sing in key, nor do they have any rhythm or melody in their bones.

Just my views.

http://www.woodytone.com/2010/03/17/are-lessons-a-waste-of-friggin-time/#more-1724

"So who didn’t take formal lessons on guitar? Just about everyone we to this day idolize: virtually all of the English pioneers, Jimi, SRV, EVH, Ace, Billy Gibbons, the Young brothers – pretty much all of the classic rockers on the categories list at right. All the blues musicians too, even “younger” guys like Joe Bonamassa. (I say younger because, unlike BB King, Muddy Waters, etc., Joe certainly had access to formal lessons if he’d wanted them.)

On the flip side you have schooled musicians like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and others (Rhoads somewhat) who do have their own styles – but when it comes to groundbreaking and pioneering playing, bands and tones, those hyper-schooled guys are in the minority.

Most of the axe-slingers we idolize to this day basically learned on their own.

Now, in saying that I’m well aware that they learned by copping licks aurally and/or visually; by jamming with people; and maybe by a neighbor or whoever showing them a bar chord. And some might have had a solid musical foundation elsewhere (e.g, piano). But when it came to making their mark on the guitar world, it was all ears and eyes – mostly ears. No formal teaching. No scales, modes, inversions, whatever.

These guys didn’t need no stinkin’ lessons – they had ears!

"Those guys learned time, groove and feel before they learned their ‘over the top’ chops. The converse seems to be the norm nowadays"

Trying to re-hijack the thread ([biggrin] to Scott!)' date=' I don't think that DT have been appreciated to the proper extend...yet. They're about 20-30 years ahead of theit time. They have changed Metal for ever. But we're not gonna see that for the time being... Remember that Black Sabbath were only copied by bands like Candlemass in the early... 1990's! Well, progress and understanding of a breakthrough takes time...[cool']

Oh Hector.........notthisjeez.jpg

I am not a metal fan' date=' but I respect the key leaders.

The key, is rhythm, timing and melody. Nothing has changed in music history. All the legends have that, including the good metal artists.

Just my views.

[/quote']

Trash....thrash metal?

Trash....thrash metal?

Yeah I thought I'd let somebody else straighten that point out -- I'd just like to point out that Metallica's 'Death Magnetic' might be the most colossal venture into faking thrash. Anyway ... Demoon? Does thrash=trash?

Yeah I thought I'd let somebody else straighten that point out -- I'd just like to point out that Metallica's 'Death Magnetic' might be the most colossal venture into faking thrash. Anyway ... Demoon? Does thrash=trash?

Well alot of Thrash is trash.

Trust me...ive heard some bands from the 80s....damn...[biggrin]

Though there is alot of good thrash.

Archived