Gibson Brands Forums

all your love?

S t e v e

Well...since I couldn't watch the Gary Moore one (An error occurred)' date=' then Robert Cray wins by technical default!!

I'll look again later though....[/quote']

wins?, shred it ain't a voting poll! hahaha :-, i've sorted the gary video out btw :-k

I think I like Robert Cray's version better.... But what is that LES PAUL Gary is using doing with active pick ups???

hello, i've changed the gary video due to the technical error that keeps popping up.

yeah i think that was a heratige les paul, thing is though although it's a different make and has different pups it's still gary's sound!...i love that :-

Not a fan of either clip to be honest, but Cray wins by a nose on tone.

Blues + Strat = [biggrin]

Back to the song, I'll paraphrase Mark Knopfler -

"I don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band - it ain't what I call rock and roll."

All the keyboard flourishes and the barking brass section cover up what I want to hear most - guitar.

Moore's tone was too hot, shrill and thin for a Les Paul - why?

Just not my taste at all.

This is a glaring example of missing the boat, especially where blues is the objective.

If that's the tone to go with, then get rid of all that other sh!t on the stage and ROCK OUT!

Still too shrill and thin for me though.

My vote goes to the fat boy from Texas, Buddy Whittington.

THAT is what my idea of blues is...

Not a fan of either clip to be honest' date=' but Cray wins by a nose on tone.

Blues + Strat = [biggrin

Back to the song, I'll paraphrase Mark Knopfler -

"I don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band - it ain't what I call rock and roll."

All the keyboard flourishes and the barking brass section cover up what I want to hear most - guitar.

Moore's tone was too hot, shrill and thin for a Les Paul - why?

Just not my taste at all.

This is a glaring example of missing the boat, especially where blues is the objective.

If that's the tone to go with, then get rid of all that other sh!t on the stage and ROCK OUT!

Still too shrill and thin for me though.

hey neo, i did have another clip up of gary playing that song through a heratige les paul with active pups...but the youtube message popped up on here when i posted it (an error has occured), maybe you will prefer that version as is does sound a lot warmer...heres the link to the video maybe it's ok now [lol]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHcotxYpcBs[/YOUTUBE]

Nope.

You said the magic words "active puke-ups" so I cannot view it on principle now....

[biggrin]

I see a P-90 in the neck of the Tele-looking guitar, the Strat appears to have chrome mini-humbuckers.

The Buddy Whittington tone is a winner - hands down.

Robert Cray. [biggrin]

It's the voice, man. Just dig it.

There are other things about it that I prefer, but I think it's his voice that really gets me, and always has.

Not that Gary's version is bad, but I think there's more soul in Robert's playing and singing.

...OK, Gary has him beat for hair length and funny guitar faces. :- [lol]

Actually, the tone in the second Gary Moore video is a bit warmer, but then another problem: the horns cover up his guitar!

I could hardly hear Gary's playing over the horn section.

And the drummer sounded like he was struggling a little in the beginning. But overall I thought it was pretty cool.

Gary video #1: 8/10

Robert video: 9/10

Gary video #2: 8.5/10, but if the horns were less prominent it would be a solid 9.

Archived