Gibson Brands Forums

Clean Tones

Hthomas

I was told once, and I can't confirm it for sure, that if you're on a clean channel, you could get the cleanest tone by turning up the master volume high and the channel volume lower, and vise versa for a less clean sound. Or it was the other way around. Try both.

You need an amp with a clean channel. I mean with only a volume knob, no pre, master, ect. And lots of headroom.

Like a Fender Twin, Super, or a Carvin Legacy, ect.

Most amps built now don't know how to do clean.

I find that one of the most challenging things about playing clean is getting enough Treble without it sounding too harsh and shrill. Every amp is a little different. You have to experiment with the tone/volume controls to get what's right for your taste.

I use my 1970's Fender pro reverb (in the normal channel as opposed to the vibrato channels) with or without the bright switch on. Keep the channel volume below maximum and use the master volume to set the level. Or I use a Fender champ (1968) but it will break up a little at higher volume settings. I often use a telecaster or stratocaster when I require a cleaner sound.

I love the clean tone on my ac30.

I use the Top-Boost channel with the volume at about 10 o'clock (give or take) and the master volume wide open. I have the treble at 9 o'clock and the bass at about 1:30- 2 o'clock and the tone cut all the way off.

These are just my current settings. I always dial it in depending on my mood. When I'm jamming with friends I usually have the volume at about 3 o'clock and the master set anywhere from half to wide open. With this setting, I use my guitar's volume knobs ALOT to go from clean to crunchy.

These are an approximation of what I typically use. I'm a knob twiddler.

Oh yeah I use reverb a lot too.

I get my cranked sound first. With picups at full volume and that's the tone for some crunchier leads and solos. I clean it up by lowering the volume of the guitar. [angry]

I'm convinced that's the way to go. When I'm playing with a band, I constantly adjust the volume and tone knobs while I'm playing. I even mess with my amp a little in the middle of songs.

I'm just trying to get the right tone for that little moment and trying to sit well in the mix.

I've never played through an amp as perfect for jam sessions and band work as my ac30.

What a pain in the *** to carry around all the time though.

Gosh...it depends on the guitar, and which amp, I'm using...as to "settings."

And, sometimes, that changes, too..depending on song, and/or what the

other guitarist is doing. All my Fender amps, (Blues Jr., HR Deluxe, Twin Reverb)

have a great "clean" sound...at least that "Fender Clean," anyway.

So...I add "dirt" with a pedal, if need be.

CB

I'm convinced that's the way to go. When I'm playing with a band' date=' I constantly adjust the volume and tone knobs while I'm playing. I even mess with my amp a little in the middle of songs.

I'm just trying to get the right tone for that little moment and trying to sit well in the mix.

I've never played through an amp as perfect for jam sessions and band work as my[b'] ac30[/b].

What a pain in the *** to carry around all the time though.

AC30... got that guys and gals? [angry]

Awesomeness!

DSC01827.jpg

I didn't realize you had a CC2. I probably would have gotten one if I had the money. I'm glad I didn't get it though because it would be really annoying to carry that extra weight. I haven't run into a situation where my 1x12 wasn't loud enough and I play in a really loud band.

Have you tried the new solid state ac30? It doesn't really interest me but I read that it emulates tube tone well. I'd rather just have tube tone than emulate it...

I have had the Egnater rebel 30 for about a month now and I love it. It has a tube mix knob that lets you blend the sound between the 6v6 and the el84 tubes; it lets you get an array of clean sounds. Both my strat and my LP sound amazing through this thing.

P3120062-1.jpg

Archived